599 owners. Need feedback | FerrariChat

599 owners. Need feedback

Discussion in '612/599' started by LMPDesigner, Sep 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Looking to buy a 599. 2007 Fiorano. Black on black with yellow stiching. Carbon brakes and heated seats and every bit of carbon Ferrari could put on car, etc, etc. Say the car is loaded.

I have 2 Ferrari now-An old TR and a 360. So not a novice.

So questions:

1.) Reliability/issues. What are they-if any.

2.) Yearly maintainance costs. How much roughly should I allocate to this.

And then of course opinions and viewpoints on the car.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have a 2007 with about 18k on the clock.

Reliability- been just fine- no serious problems. Very reliable. Had a parking sensor fail and had a seat sensor fail.

Yearly maintenance is probably right around what you'd spend for the 360 or any other modern F car. I'd say you want to have about 1-1.5k a year for maintenance and maybe another 1-2k a year for random nonsense like tires and wheels.

Viewpoints- the car is just lovely. Its kind of like a crazy M6. Comfy when you want it to be but the performance is there when you ask for it. Not the wild child fun your 360 is- but instead long legged highway car that can hustle. Take your time to learn it. The rewards are there.

3. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
  4. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    4k dollars a year per mainteinance........god maintenance is cheap in the US

5. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I enjoyed mine big GT car and fast. No issues. The shocks on some, leather shrinkage issues. If you can handle the issues with a TR and a 360 you will be happy with a 599.

6. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +2

7. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    #7 aln, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    i think you need to budget significantly higher b/c there are always 'outlier' expenses that pop up every few years. but they are statistically significant, even if you average them out.

i bought my 599 one-year-ago tomorrow. fantastic experience! but not inexpensive. drove it 6,000 miles, which was more than i drove any of my other cars. total repair bills = $10,416. it is important to note that ~$6,500 of that was for a cracked radiator, ergo my point that you should expect the occasional big ticket repair. ~$1,000 for rear tires. ~$1,000 for bumper repair (courtesy of sheraton universal valet). of course that is not 'fair' to include, but i'm accounting for 'all costs'.

looking to the coming year, i am no longer servicing at the dealership and have a great mechanic. i anticipate $3,000 in the coming year for maintenance including tires. if i remember, i'll update this post in 357 days and we'll see how close my estimate is! :)

oh, i forgot, looking at your original post you wanted to know more than just maintenance costs. the car is a great daily driver and awesome weekend car. tons of space for luggage and very comfortable for running around. the only thing i don't love about the car is backing it up. the f1 transmission wasn't made for low-speed manuevering, particularly in reverse.

8. Erictpeterson

Erictpeterson Karting

Apr 4, 2013
    Echo this. I have an '07 with 12K miles and very reliable so far. The occasional warning light pops on but goes away quickly ... so no worries. Save yourself a grand and do the Fabspeed secondary pipe delete ... makes the car sound MUCH better.

9. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Forget '07….buy my 2010 HGTE…you wouldn't regret it!

10. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    no dice on selling the condo? 😎😎😎

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    how can he do it if u don't post link !

12. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    I have an 08. Great car!! Both crazy fast and a good touring car. $1500.00 annual if you go to the dealer. Also remember, if it hasn't been done yet, a clutch will be in your future; + or - $8000.00.

13. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Check the classifieds. The post is there.

14. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Ah, cant u advertise it in a random thread if someone is looking for one ?

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good point by aln on some costs- they can be more. I was really just talking about your typical year. I think for any of these cars you have to also be prepared for the eventual radiator or if someone scrapes your bumper stuff. Its all part of the experience.