599 New battery needed, | FerrariChat

599 New battery needed,

Discussion in '612/599' started by mutske, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Looking to replace the battery, any one has any info / tips of where to buy and what not to do.

cheers mutske

2. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    My Ferrari dealer uses Interstate as a replacement battery. Basic same shape and really good CCA rating. I believe the store Batteries + also sells Interstate battery you need. Good source.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Unfortunately op is in uk but he could check out Tayna

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would be extra careful with the 599. I'd re-read the owners manual on battery changing. I'd be worried I might need to connect to the dealer computer when the new battery comes on line.

I'd also recommend using a better tender than the Factory shipped with my 599. I like the bigger CTek tender- its the 7002 in the US. Not sure what model they use for Scotland. Maybe its the 7000? The 599 systems like to draw a lot of electricity even when the car is sitting....

5. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I replaced the battery last month in my GTO. I also was told by the dealer to use an Interstate Battery. They gave me a specific model to use but not sure what it was. I had no issues mechanically. The only issue was in mounting it. There is a cross bar that clamps the battery down. The factory battery has a 90 degree edge but the Interstate didn't. When tightened down the clips on the bar have 2 lugs that the interior trim screws into. It did not match as they were at the wrong angle.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Likely an MTP-91H6, the replacement for the MTP-91.

In Europe, no trouble finding an original FIAMM L3 80+ or an equivalent Bosch battery. The FIAMMs are actually good batteries. They just got beaten up too much waiting for boats and sitting on dealer floors.

7. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    hi guys thanks for the replies , got a new battery from the first owner thats brand new. fitted myself with no issues. car running fine now,,,,,
    done 350miles in 10 days,,,

mutske

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bernard- I love a happy ending.

9. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just to confirm Bernard, you had no problems with systems rebooting properly as one poster suggested?

10. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    No the system started ok....no props at all..

I was looking to see if there is a OBD system that works on the 599 and if there is a Fault code maual.

Bernard

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bernard- OBDII readers will work on the 599, but only for mandated emissions related codes, not for any other codes. I have not seen a code list for the general public, but Texa and Auto Enginuity are making diagnostic tools that are PC based for around $4K.

You have two Motronic ECUs in your 599, each of which is running 6 cylinders. Some OBDII readers only see one of those ECUs and some can see both. Some of the best results on OBDII have come from ones designed to work wirelessly with iphones or Android devices. Search in the 360/430 forum for recommendations. There are dozens on Amazon.

12. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Cheers for that.....
    Bernard

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Why do you think that is regarding the OBDII mobile phone readers? Just newer tech?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, they are very recent additions. Some of the newer, more sophisticated OBDII readers that are stand-alones want you to tell them what type of car you have. Does not work for Ferraris, which are not on the lists.

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Makes sense- thank you. I'll have a look in the 360/430 forum for suggestions.

16. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else needs to replace their 599 battery. Mine was dead this week so spent a lot of time tracking down a new one. As tazandjan mentions above, the battery from Interstate that was in my car and what I replaced it with, is an Interstate MTP-91/T6. Althought he says MTP-91H6, the guy at the Interstate warehouse said the difference in nomenclature has to do with the base and top of the battery but are basically the same. 91/T6 is what they are using now. Of interest was that the recommended replacement battery by Interstate is MT 34R which is an AGM battery but is about an inch taller. The Fiamm battery is original to the car. Tazandjan states above the number is FIAMM L3 80+. That battery has the same exact measurements (H, W, L) as the T6 Interstate. However I am not sure that this battery is the original Fiamm battery. It may very well be but the only reason I question it is because with the Interstate T6 installed, which is the same size as the Fiamm, the two tabs on the hold down bar don't line up with the holes for the screws that hold the side trunk lining in place. If anyone still has the original Fiamm in their car (doubtful) I would be interested in knowing the model number and measurements.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  18. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Not sure if the 599GTB is the same battery as the 599GTO. Here is what I took out of my 599GTO and what Interstate batter was installed. It fit perfectly.

Attached Files:

19. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #19 tcw, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    thx tazandjan and ccferrari for your responses. The size of the Fiamm battery shown is listed as

"Dimensioni LxPxH (mm) 278x175x190" for future reference.

20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was having trouble sourcing a replacement battery in stock from several different local sources. Several could order but it would take a few days and was around $300. Costco sells interstate but did not have the correct one in stock and would not order it. I wanted something that day so I ended up going with an Optima Red Top. The overall battery is smaller but it fits in place and the cross bar holds it in place correctly. Been in the car for 2 months and have had no issues. 3 year warranty on the battery.