612 far too loud, exhaust valves stay open | FerrariChat

612 far too loud, exhaust valves stay open

Discussion in '612/599' started by [email protected], Sep 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. john_laser@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    My name is John, and I recently purchased a 2009 612 OTO (black/cuoio) with 20’000 km here in Switzerland. The discussions on this forum have been the single most powerful source of information to expand my knowledge of the car.

I am quite happy with my Scaglietti, but it is far too loud for my taste, especially when driving smoothly in cities or residential areas. Like most (all?) OTO, it is equipped with the sport (double wall tailpipes) exhaust, BUT… the exhaust valves never close!

I started by looking at it myself, and I quickly came to the conclusion that the valves, the solenoid, and the vacuum hoses are all working properly. The issue must therefore be related to the signal (or lack thereof) driving the solenoid. I had the dealer look at it, and he quickly diagnosed a software issue (the SD3 indicated that the software had been "upgraded"). The only way to reinstall the original the software is apparently to have it directly uploaded by the factory. And now comes the big surprise: the technician at the factory indicated that the software of these cars had been upgraded so that the exhaust valves would remain open under all conditions (apparently as a consequence of “issues experienced on some cars in Japan”), and they would even refuse to reinstall the "original" software!

So according to the factory, it is absolutely correct for a Ferrari 612 with HGT2 package to keep the exhaust valves opened all the time. I somehow can’t believe it!?! It just doesn’t fit the understating nature of the 612, and I am convinced that such a loud car will never pass the Swiss technical inspection… Does anyone know anything about that?!?

2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    ... If you want, we can swap exhausts. I have the silent ones.

(just kidding)

3. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Hi,

I owned a 2008 with HGT2 (but not an OTO). The exhaust valves were NOT opened all of the time on mine, only when I really hit the gas!

The new software sounds to be the issue, but I don't have anything else to offer.

Keep us updated & good luck!

PS - please post some photos of your car!

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  5. john_laser@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Thank you for your replies! I am very puzzled about Ferrari telling me that this is the way the car is supposed to operate as 1. I don't see why having the exhaust valves closed at low RPM / load may cause any issue, and 2. it will simply make the car illegal in many countries! I found the answers from Ferrari very evasive and not really convincing...

Installing a remote valve controller seems to be the way to go. I was looking at the one Taz proposed, but I don't understand how it is powered. The only "input" I see to the controller is the original cable plugged into the solenoid, which, in my case, remains in the "off" mode. So where is the power coming from? Is there a 12v input? Or a battery within the controller?

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- That solenoid has power. The Motronic DME was programmed not to send a close signal to the solenoid. It was a software solution, not a hardware solution. If they had wanted to do it with hardware, they could have removed the solenoid and/or vacuum lines, which they did not do.

Incidentally, yours is the first OTO I have heard about with that software mod.

7. jimbob1972

jimbob1972 Rookie

May 30, 2014
    I too have the same 'problem' - I say problem but I really enjoy the sound! Now I have a set of the switchable bypass controllers but I haven't fitted them - the issue is going to be that they have two modes - valves opened OR valves handed back to ecu control. There is no valve closed option per se. Having some degree of stealth would be useful.... Wondering if I have the same software issue?

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- No, someone probably disconnected the vacuum hoses, which is easy to check. Very early 612s did not even have bypass valves.

9. jimbob1972

jimbob1972 Rookie

May 30, 2014
    Well I'm having a reverse camera installed next week so bumper- off. I'll be able to check then. I can't see an easy way of getting to the hoses without taking off the bumper due to rear diffuser.

10. john_laser@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Jim, you don't have to remove the bumper to access the solenoid and hoses, only the diffuser (it is attached by ~10 screws).

I am curious to hear whether in your case it is the soft- or the hardware (disconnected hoses or solenoid connector) keeping the valves opened all the time. In my case it is clearly a software issue, which basically means that there is no signal/power driving the solenoid. In this case, I doubt that the external valve controller would work, as the solenoid must be driven by 12V so that the valves open.

11. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    If you get one of those cameras that hang through the rear number plate lights you can actually install it without removing the rear bumper. By removing the boot lining you can access various channels into the bumper. I removed one of the number plate lights to drill a hole to access the channel. Used a coat hook wire taped to the camera cable to thread it up and into the boot. The 612 is well designed in terms of being able to thread and hide a wire from the front stereo area to the trunk.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- I will bet all they did is stop the close signal to the solenoid. Power to the solenoid is hardware and not software.

13. john_laser@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Just a quick update: the Scaglietti went to technical inspection yesterday and... she passed!

Noise was apparently measured at idle and at 5400 rpm, where it reached 101dB, which, while substantial, was still significantly lower than the 105dB (!) limit (yet another big surprise).

That said, I'm still puzzled about, the exhaust valves always staying opened...

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I love a happy ending.