Converting a Euro Spec 599 to US Spec | FerrariChat

Converting a Euro Spec 599 to US Spec

Discussion in '612/599' started by cwall, Sep 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi,

Has anyone on the forum done this? Any idea of the cost and parts that need to be changed?

You can pick up a 2011 HGTE with 35k miles for about $130k in France. Thinking about buying there, driving for a few months and then bringing the car back for Summer in US.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Cost would probably be about $20K and it has to be done by one of the approved conversion houses. Check with this office to see. Not sure if Dick is still there or not.

Be advised late gray market cars can be hard to sell.

U.S. Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Enforcement
    Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance
    Contact Name: Richard Merritt (may find him in directory as Dick Merritt)
    Rm 6115, NEF-30
    400 7th Street, SW
    Washington, DC 20590

202-493-2266
    Kathy Rice is his secretary- 202-366-5291
    Main Dept- 202-493-5300

3. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
  4. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
  5. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

There's a program where a non-resident US citizen can import a non-conforming car with no need for modifications and drive it in the US for up to 12 months. You cannot sell it and after the 12 months, the car needs to be exported. Details are on the US Customs website. There was a thread within the last month discussing this.

6. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1
    I have known the owners (Lois and Jonathan) for years; they've done a bunch of cars for me. Back in the heyday of gray market importation, they were the biggest and best. In fact , some of the other RIs were actually subbing work out to them. Good people.

Good luck

Mike

7. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

When I looked into this very recently, I was given a ball park quote of $60K to $70K for conversion by JK Technologies and this was for my 2010 599 HGTE with Middle East (GCC) specs, so the cost for a Euro spec would probably be about the same. Makes no sense at that price and in addition, a gray market car is always going to be worth at least 20% less in the US unless it is something that is ultra rare and was not originally available in the US.

It seems importing a non US spec car only makes sense for 25+ year old models as they are exempt from most of the safety and emission regualtions.

8. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Thanks- More Good info from you Terry- A friend is looking to bring in a Scud from Italy and I will pass this to him ;)

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The JK Technologies website has a really good summary of the costs involved. All those 1% and 3% items add up pretty quickly.

10. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I looked into importing an Enzo recently and though the quote is $60K-$80K the actual cost would be more like $150K-$175K for the Enzo from what I've learned. The cost will vary greatly depending on how much actually has to be done to the respective car. Do you research before you proceed. Cheers!