599 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '612/599' started by [email protected], Sep 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phulseberg@att.net

May 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    no one
    I am in the market fro a 599 and would like to know if there is a significant difference between the 07 and 08 models. Also anything I should look out for.

2. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    I have a 2010 for sale....the best year for the 599. Buy it...you won't regret it!

3. phulseberg@att.net

May 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    no one
    If it is red please send details

4. bshah

bshah Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2011
    Chicago
    nope...it's white and I got my "eye" it :)
    good luck.

why is the 2010 the best year????

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Obvious : because that's what he's selling....

HOBE456 likes this.
  6. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    that might play a part, but just as with the California, latter models are better than earlier.

a 2010 model is significantly improved from the 2007 ones. one might say that 2011/12 models are even better, but they will cost also significantly more.

2010 is actually balanced. Doesnt have the earlier problems of the first models nor costs like the last ones. Only problem for the OP seems the colour. He wants red.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you can find a 2012 599 GTB That would really be phenomenal.

EDIT: So as not to further mislead the OP, there are no 2012 599's.

I hung around this section for a couple of years and listened a lot about 599's before buying one. I don't think there's a hell of a lot of corrections or modifications through the years. More a matter of options.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #8 Piper, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    The biggest difference is going to be carbon ceramic brakes, which were standard 2008 and beyond. The other significant option available in later models was the HGTE package. If I've understood correctly, a 2007 ECU may not be able to be updated with the HGTE software, so while you can buy the HGTE mods for later models, you can't get all the way there with a 2007. The handling GTE package was wheels, suspension and software, so you could still do the wheels and suspension if you wanted. I won't be. I think the ride and handling on the stock 2007 599 is terrific. It's not hard to find a 2007 with the carbon ceramic brakes.

EDIT: Someone will correct me on this, so correcting myself. If you have the factory HGTE option, you will also have it embroidered on your seats. Obviously that one's pretty hard to add later.

9. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Agree with these concept. The HGTE is the key...it is an entirely different car than the earlier models. I test drove two non HGTE autos and almost gave up on the 599 until I got in the HGTE. Keep in mind that I came at it from a 430 Scuderia so I needed what the HGTE brought to the vehicle. Check out my post on 599 videos to see a few reviews as you think of your 599.

Red? Not a good color for the 599 in my opinion. Then again, I think Ferrari reds are a little much....tiring....almost, dare I say it, cliche. White is unusual but it works for this body style. Car seems more elegant and gentlemanly...but that's my feeling about it. On the other hand, a guy told me yesterday that it looks like a gorgeous stock race car and that's not so gentlemanly...is it?

Oh yeah...the privacy glass on my car...awesome! I think its a nice feature to have on the 599.

10. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I know there was an ecu update halfway through 2007 or so, but other than that I don't know of any mechanical upgrades through the years and have not heard of any model year specific issues with any of the earlier cars.

I didn't hesitate getting into a 2007 and have been very happy with it, especially since it has the Ceramic brake option I specifically wanted. My car is a non-HGTE and I don't think I would notice the 15 millisecond difference in shifts at WOT, and never flog it at 10/10ths in corners to appreciate the difference in the suspension setup.

I do like the HGTE grill though, looks sportier than the standard one :)

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Taz really has the info but its something like in mid-late 07 there was a switch to a different Motortronic ECU and also different TCU and thus those earlier cars cannot benefit from the ECU and TCU reprogram that allows the full HGTE package. Those earlier cars can get their suspensions and exhaust upgraded though. And yes CCB was not required in 07. It was in 08.

HGTE suspension rides harder but handles so much better.
    A huge benefit will be felt by just switching to Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The stock rear tires are 305 but they only make 315 size and those fit the 599 wheels fine.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- There was a major upgrade to the Motronic 7.3.2 ignition/injection system in Summer/Fall 2007 on both the 599 and the 612. That upgrade is what determines whether an 07 MY 599 can be upgraded to HGTE, like Cae.. mentioned. Serial Number for the change on US 599s was 156938. 07s built with or after than SN are essentially identical to the US MY 08s, except no new standard 08 stuff identified elsewhere in this thread.

13. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Agreed! White is a great color for the 599 body! I searched for months and bought my white 08! Love it!

14. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I have a difference of opinion here, I drove a couple of 599 with the HGTE package and
    I did not like them at all. Also, I drove the one lap of America 599.

I felt every bump on the road. To me, the car was too rough. Maybe good on the racetrack but, living in Boston, I felt uncomfortable with this. I did buy a 2008 599 WITHOUT the HGTE and I love this car.

So, whatever you do, drive a few of them & see what is right for you

Good luck

Ken Goldman

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I met a guy at the national FCA meet this year on the Saturday track day, was there with his 458 Speciale. We spoke on the topic, and he'd owned several 599 GTB's, some with HGTE and he told me he was completely against HGTE. He was a major track nut, said that the benefit on the track was negligible and otherwise ruined the ride on the street. I'll take his expert word for it. I'm happy to have a GTB without HGTE upgrades.

16. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Driving twisty seacoast roads…as I do regularly…wouldn't want anything but HGTE…the non-HGTE just has too much body roll and dip in some of the turns.

17. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK

+1. The GTB's magic is it's unmatched ability to be a sublime relaxed and elegant GT and with a flick of the wrist unleash supercar breathtaking performance. It is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. No other car has this brilliant ability. The HGTE by the nature of the modification (not "upgrade" IMO) changes this unique balance, fine if that's what one wants but that's not what made/makes the 599 GTB very special. I sold my GTB to make way for a 458 Speciale. I already own a 599 GTO. The 458S is remarkable - superagile, supersharp, superfast. The 599 GTO is simply Mike Tyson in his prime. Full of menace. I adore both. But I have to admit to a dirty little secret, I've started to miss the GTB magic and have begun doing double takes at parked up GTBs.

Marc Reagan likes this.
  18. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    Personally, I LOVE the HGTE. It totally changes the car and I couldn't care less that is stiffens the street ride. The manettino settings are more in-line with what I expected between the race/street/wet settings.

JMHO.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most owners really like HGTE better, but there are always exceptions. 85 ms shifting is a nice side benefit, not that most owners could tell the difference from the normal 100 ms.

20. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    +1 for HGTE

21. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That settles it! There is no right or wrong...it's all about personal preference. Do what YOU want/like and enjoy

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Yup.

23. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    And that's one of the reasons why we live here!

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I upgraded my car to HGTE and never looked back. It always felt too floaty to me before. Interestingly, the best improvement to ride quality comes from the switch to the MPSS tires. I've never seen a car so sensitive to tires in terms of ride quality improvement.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MPSS tires are pretty amazing. In C&D's recent (Oct 14) track test, their C7 Corvette performed so well on the track, they got out and double checked to make sure she did not have the Sport Cup 2 tires. Nope, MPSS, a new C7 option. Also much cheaper than the competitor's tires, happily.