Problems due to cars just being old? | FerrariChat

Problems due to cars just being old?

Discussion in '612/599' started by scriber17, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    So I have an 08 BMW 550i that is my DD and recently costly problems have started to pop up due mainly because of the age of the vehicle. Specifically, gaskets on the engine are starting to fail and they are quite costly to replace. Dealer wants 8k to replace valve stem seals. I was wondering if Ferrari is similar since I'd be getting an 08 612 as well and couldn't imagine what Ferrari would charge for something like that.

2. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    IMO it directly depends how, and how much, the car was driven. If it was a garage queen that sat for long periods of time without being driven, that probably doesn't bode well. If was driven regularly, and maintained regularly, you probably shouldn't see any issues. My 599 is an 07 with 17000 miles and I've had absolutely no problems with seals, leaks, etc. Now, leather shrinkage, that's a different story...

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have exactly the same situation re the motor but so far no leather issues. My car has similar miles but it goes from one garage to another usually so its not baking in the sun when not driven...

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    550 with 18,000. never leak. kept in a/c, heat control

5. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think repairs are cheap compared to depreciation. The cars you are talking about have depreciated 150k easy. That will buy a ton of repairs even at Ferrari prices. If the repair costs worry you you probably should pick something else. Modern Ferraris are reliable but a 20k repair can happen any time.

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    550 (1999) with about 44,000 miles, no leaks anywhere, no oil consumption, just running and running like a VW Bug ;o)).

599 (2009) with about 21,000 miles, clutch wear less than 15%, the only issue to date was water pump failure this year.

Both cars are very rarely left standing in the sun. The 550 was once left in the sun for several days in a really hot summer period by the workshop (main dealer) and the result was bubbling steering wheel cover and climate control. I never returned to them. They went bankrupt some years ago ;o)).

In summary, I would say that these cars are very reliable, if properly kept.