What's WRONG with people/perception of 612?? WTH? | FerrariChat

What's WRONG with people/perception of 612?? WTH?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Was at a car show last weekend and heard from a couple people how my 599 was SO much better. I love the 599, don't get me wrong. So the 612 has been getting a little prep done for a grand relisting by Ferrari of Washington, had stock wheels put on her, debadged her, hadn't seen her since this was done. The 599 needs a little work on the climate control which the seller is covering, seat heater, heat vents and AC all need a little something done. So the day is dragging on and they tell me Friday I probably need to get a ride home. So I ask for my 612 back for the day or two. I LOVE that car and it looks classy as hell with the stock shoes. I never liked them, until I got to love the 612 and put her back the way God intended. Rides smoother now, too. So WTH is wrong with people that they can't get on board with the fact that the 612 Scaglietti is a drop dead sexy beast? Heard someone call 612 "a beached whale" recently. Are these people blind, hopping on a decade old bandwagon, what?

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I've always liked the 612. But I like the FF, also. It's hard to pin down something as subjective as an opinion about how a car looks. The 599, for example. Most angles I really like it, but some are just awkward. F12 is the same to me. But the 550-575 are perfect.

Either way, you have two amazing cars, Bob.

3. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The 612 is aging extremely well. Love the HGTCs.

4. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    It is presumably a question of condition. I had been looking around after a reasonable priced 612, but all were in a bad technical state and indeed drove like a drunken whale, aside other issues. Most owners in the last few years probably were a bit penny-pinching with maintenance and repair in view of the depreviation. Sadly.

I am sure that a properly maintained 612 will perform and ride great. Why should they not?

5. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    When I tell people I drive a 612 and usual reaction is 'why one of those?' Then they'll go on to tell me it's a 4 seater and no one wants them. As if I didn't know it's a 4 seater.

Well, they don't know what they are missing!

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The 599 and the 612 are fine, fine looking cars.
    Neither is perfect from all angles though what is?
    Even the Lusso has "off" angles
    To me the 612 has the look of a modern interpretation sixties grand tourer and is a worthy member of the lineage that started with the GTE. 4 Seat Ferraris are hot at the moment, see GTE, 330,400 and 458 values.
    You have a lovley car, keep the faith brother.

7. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I don't know either. I usually find two camps. First are people who love it...give me thumbs up or say "that's one the best looking model ferraris I've ever seen". The second, usually mid engine owners or lovers, don't seem to think of it as a "real" F car.

Either way, I love my 612 and that's all that matters to me!

8. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    The four seaters will play second best to the two seaters. From the 250 onwards. The four seater is more refined and more of an acquired taste. Not everyone can relate to it.

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Part of the problem is actually functional: mid-front-engine design.

We all know these new generation of front-engine F-cars perform well, in part, because the engine is moved between the cabin and the front axle. This gives the term "long bonnet" Ferrari new meaning.

Whilst this design clearly improves the car's performance, it forces the designers to change the look of the car, so as to not emphasize the long hood / bonnet too much. This new look has not necessarily been well excepted by the public yet.

However, in time, it will.

I clearly remember back in the late '90s that nobody wanted a Ferrari Boxer (365 GT4 BB / 512 BB / 512 BBi). You could get one for like 70K. How much are they now? ;)

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Personally, I find the design of the 612 to be much more attractive than the 599. The whole flying buttress thing really didn't work for me.

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Then I tell them it's a 4 seater and I wanted one. So did my two kids!

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think people are often far too judgmental and frequently make it too much about themselves. I think the 612 is a fantastic car, and if I ever meet someone with a car I don't really love I don't just come out and say something negative. That just tells you more about the person making the comment than they probably think they are revealing about themselves.

Anyway, I really love the 612- as a matter of fact I appreciate its styling more over time! And also the 599. And if memory serves, your 612 is TDF, and as we all know, TDF resolves all the problems in the world so anyone criticizing a 612 (beautiful car) and a TDF one (best color ever!!!) must be crazy! :)

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The 612 does tend to be sensitive to how you dress it.

I think it looks best in the Grigio Colors. I also think it is a good candidate for wrapping, if your into that new alternative to paint.

My favorite colors for the 612 is Grigio Silverstone, Rubino, TDF, and Nero Daytona.

14. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine is actually NART, pretty much the same, shade darker.

I agree, would reorder the colors, but agree they're top four. Rubino is my top pick. The rest can be in any order you like :)

I thought my 612 looked better with aftermarket wheels and stick on shields. Now I see her as perfect clean and wearing the original shoes.

15. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    #15 raf456, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Here's why the 612 is perceived that way:

It doesn't look like a sports car. It just doesn't. Doesn't matter how fast it is or how well it handles. When people think of Ferrari, they think 'bad-ass aggressive sports car appearance'. The 612 is does not meet their expectations, therefore they are let down.

It's elegant and sexy, but it certainly is not bad-ass.

If it was branded as a a Maserati or a MB, it would be treated differently.

Tl;dr: It doesn't look the way people think it should look.

Btw, same thing for the 456, 412, and mondial.

17. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The 612 is an awesome car for an enthusiast who can appreciate variety. As Highlow mentioned above, most people associate Ferrari with the low slung mid engined layout, and don't understand the front engined variety.

I frequently get asked if my 599's engine is "in the trunk" or why it's covered up with a trunklid. The general uninformed think all Ferraris are one model similar to a 458.

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #18 Wade, Sep 19, 2014
  19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Sep 19, 2014
  20. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    now that is NICEEEE!!!

21. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #21 JoeZaff, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    "When people think of ferrari they think of bad ass aggressive sports car appearance..."

I agree, but with all due respect for them, people generally have no idea what they are f'ing talking about. The 612 has quintessential ferrari looks, so much so it is almost a tribute to the 375mm "Ingrid Bergman". If you go to a large ferrari event you can draw a direct line from classic Ferraris to the 612. It
    Is a very rich design.

IMHO Ferraris should be classy, sophisticated and sensual. They should let their engines do the talking. Ferraris should not be flamboyant, that is Lamborgini's job.

I know this sounds crazy coming from a TR owner, but my adoration for that car stems in part from the fact that it was such an outlier.

Just my .02

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    And 365GTC/4, and 365GT, and 330GT, and 250GTE... the list goes on and on. Nothing new.

23. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    The 612 FRONT is honestly not good looking compared to the front of the 599.

The lights are just fantastic on the 599, I'd say they are IMMORTAL in design, while I honestly yawghn when I see a 612. It goes fast, it handles excellently it is comfortable, much more than the 599, and it's "classy".

but the 599 has a line that will never decade in time, The F12 is prettier but the 599 will age as the best lined Ferrari ever, to me.

Look at the back of the 612 and then the back of the 599, there's just no comparison.

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #24 ross, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    the 612 is a beautiful car. so is the 456. these are subtle shapes for refined tastes. dont worry about what the uneducated think or say about your car at a car show, they have little to base their opinion on.

the only reason it can be an issue is if you have to sell. there are always fewer buyers for the 4 seaters and the secondhand prices reflect this. its good going in, but painful going out.

25. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #25 southnc, Sep 19, 2014