Need tire advice- All Seasons OK on 612 in this scenario? | FerrariChat

Need tire advice- All Seasons OK on 612 in this scenario?

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Many of you may be following my 612 rebuild thread. If so, I hope you are enjoying it!

I am interested in some thoughts on tires...

I have the two piece 19" Ferrari rims, front and rear. I may run the car summer and winter but don't really see myself out in the snow (like with my Maserati QP) so thinking I don't want a separate set of snow and summer tires.

I was thinking about putting Michelin Pilot All-Seasons on the 612. I don't drive my cars to their limits on turns (too cheap to endure a crash) and would like to safely bring the car out when the weather drops below 45 degrees F (but on snowless and iceless roads).

Are a high quality, All-Season tire set-up acceptable for my application here? I am I making some sort of huge mistake.

I am the the Kansas City area so we see cold weather Nov-Mar that can't handle summer tires.

Thanks.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you're only planning on taking the car out on dry roads, I would go with the standard high performance tires. The 612 will tell you the temperature of the tires. I certainly take my car out below 45 degrees.

3. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #3 trygve11, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This graph reflects my concerns...

Not sure I need the area between the All-Season and Summer performance tires in the hot weather but concerned I could very well need the difference in the cold weather.

Any other thoughts on this guys??

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The best all around tire for Ferraris right now is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, which should be available in sizes for your 612 since I just put 19" ones on my 575M. You can use summer high performance tires in the winter. I do it all the time here, where we definitely have four seasons at 5500' elevation. The trick is not to drive in snow or slush, which keeps the tire cold, and to let the tires warm up and not push her anywhere near her limits cornering or braking. My old tires were P Zero Rossos, which are not as good in cold weather as the Michelins, but worked fine for 6 years in all seasons.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    One thing I would look at is the speed rating on the all season tires. Can you get all season tires with a high enough speed rating for the 612?

I love your other thread, by the way! Thanks for sharing with us!

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pilot super sports for the win.

7. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    I had the original Pzero Rossos when the temp dropped under 40 degrees they were pretty bad... Just bought pilot super sports... Will let you know as the temps drop...

8. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Michelin SSP are the best choice, even when colder.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    All due respect to Terry, if I lived in KC and didn't really push the car in either season, I actually would go with all season Michelin performance tires. They won't be as good as summer tires, but will remain flexible and grip when it gets really cold in the winter, without needing to worry about driving them to warm them up, or avoid slushly snow.

10. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Terry I would go along with Need4Spd, Michelin Pilot are great (had them on my 456) but were conceived for performance on adequate surface and the winter condition simply do not provide that.
    A car with high hp/torque on fairly wide tires who must rely on electronic aids as TCS to keep it under control all the time is simply asking for it.
    I do not know of the road conditions in your area but the problem is consistency, suffice that you ride on a repaired or uneven spot or you accelerate on a overpass with a crosswind (the drop in temp. on that bridge could be of 10 degreeC.) then all hell break loose.
    Do you really want to chance it with all the energy & efforts that you put on your lovely car for tires?
    Traction in snow is one thing but proper rubber for adequate traction on cold surface is the main thing and Michelin Pilot were simply not engineered far that task.

11. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    What I really want to do is buy a set of 599 Challenge rims (can't decide on ball polished or painted but leaning towards painted on blue 612), install Michelin PSS on these, and use my current 19's for winter tire application.

The problem is I am still rebuilding the car, have never actually driven it (!!!) and am spending money on it fast (again on a car that I have never driven). And, wife getting pissed, new rims and 8 tires showing up to the house will make her walk out, and my current Michelin PSS on the 19's are clearly in the "yellow zone" on the tire gauge- i.e. need replacing soon. To further complicate this, I need the current 19's redone, new TPMS sensors installed and would hate to pay to put back on the same (almost worn out) tires.

Hence my current dilemma! Anyone want to help a brother by selling me their 599 Challenge rims at a drop dead great price?!

;)

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #12 Piper, Sep 25, 2014
    I have a nice set of OZ's you can have cheap if you want. Not challenge wheels, but they give a nice, aggressive look. And challenge wheels are up in price now, averaging $6k a set. Mine already have serviceable pilot super sports and sensors installed. Look great on blue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Please send me some more pics and details. PM me if you can.

Not sure I want to go non-OEM but perhaps at the right price.

Thanks.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Two sets are the best choice, and you can see we have a difference of opinion on only using one set. For year around use, I would never put all seasons on a Ferrari.

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #15 Piper, Sep 28, 2014
  16. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Please listen to Taz, by reading all his posts you have to agree that he is quite knowledgeable of what he is talking about.
    If you really want to drive on cold surfaces then a proper set of suetable tires would be your best insurance policy.

17. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I've got a set of winter wheels for my Maserati QP (2007). I believe these will bolt right up. Perhaps I just run these in the winter and ultimately pop the tires onto my 612 rims if the Maserati look doesn't cut it?!

I am now thinking of getting the 599 Challenge rims with Michelin Supersport tires. Just went from unemployed to employed last night and perhaps I will spring for the upgrade. Anyone think I will be less than thrilled with Challenge rims? Also, I am thinking painted versus ball polished. I think the painted look goes better with the blue tour de france color and is more repairable if ever needed. The silver look of the ball polished may be too much for me. Any thoughts on that choice?

18. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Love this thread and your project... I am not a 612 expert, but on our 458, any of the "summer performance tires" are left seriously lacking in very cold (below 35-40) temps. So bad that it feels like you're driving on a very low-grip surface, and wheelspin is easy. On cold days, you can put some heat in the tires, but it dissipates.

On a clear winter day, we would drive the 458 carefully to exercise it; on the FF, we put Sottozero's on and they are great, plus decent cold/wet performance.

Given the amount of equity you are putting into this car, find a way to put the best possible tires on it for given conditions. OR, get the high performance tires and just be careful in the cold

Continued good luck with the project

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's easier to find winter rubber for your stock 5 spokes. Smaller the wheel the better the selection. I would just do that and watch all winter for a deal on a set of challenge rims. When you find them though, make sure they come with lug nuts.