Frame chassis 599 GTO | FerrariChat

Frame chassis 599 GTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Unfortunately i have often water leakages in my underground garage, and the association of owners is not solving it after 1 year.

I think the frame chassis of the 599 GTO is in aluminium and it shouldn't rust (unless parts in steel), can you please let me know what are your thoughts on this particular issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You didn't describe the exact issue but there can be at least 2 concerns:

1) water constantly in contact with your car. Whether it be the car standing in water or water falling on your car.

2) abnormally high humidity.

Water contains dissolved minerals and those minerals can come out of solution and deposit on the surface of anything the water is in contact with.

High humidity will ruin the interior and can result in mold and or electrical short circuits. Mechanical and electrical equipment need to regularly dry out while in service. Unless specifically designed for tropical application, they cannot be constantly stored under humid conditions.

For starters, I would use a hygrometer to record the humidity levels inside the passenger compartment as well as in the general vicinity of the car, especially in the engine compartment. These levels can fluctuate depending on weather and seasonal conditions, as well as with the geological nature of the problem.

I hope your association has receive a thorough report from an engineer regarding the water problem.

3. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

Thanks for your answer, sorry I didn't describe properly the issue.

Drains are broken in the wall, when raining water is pouring under my car - and after few days drying until it will rain again.

I am not sure this leads to some problems, but reading your mail it might :-(

I am waiting for this problem to be solved, waiting for one year already :-(

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I would put a good wax on the paint and wheels, maybe a humidity absorber in the car plus leather conditioner and drive it often to dry it off.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is not a good situation. How deep is the water under the car?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The chassis is aluminum so rust is out, but aluminum can still corrode. The chassis has extensive corrosion proofing, though, so not much of an issue, but the other concerns listed above are definitely an issue.

7. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    a year already in these conditions ? Christ.

Ok if the association doesnt find a solution u have different possibilities :

-find another garage
    -ISOLATE the car inside the garage

Do u think they would allow you to have your OWN parking spot ? In this case couldnt you build your little own "single car box" INSIDE the garage that is completely isolating the car from the water ?

Like, building a little platform 10cm high that isolates ur car from DIRECT contact with the water and then building a cover around (a little box) it so that no water can corrode the car ?

U might keep a dehumidifier inside this box permanently on. So to avoid the problem at all.

If you cant change the garage u can only cover the car. IF they don't allow you to do it your car will have rust problems eventually.

8. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I can't opine as to the real property laws of your jurisdiction. That being said ALL GTO's need a stand alone space with protection from the elements. This is a future 7 figure Supercar. Treat it as such. RUN AWAY from that horrific adverse element situation !!!

As an aside .... took my baby out today and laid waste to an SLS Black (gorgeous car). Key is to get the meat (tires) warmed up so you get traction. GTO gotta be pulling stupid skidpad figures when meat is warmed up. Anyway, protect your "investment" my friend.

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I suggest to change the title of the thread, ask a mod, so that it reflects more the content.

The last thing I'd expect from a thread named "Frame chassis 599 GTO" is a request of help to solve a problem of humidity. Maybe someone could have helped but didnt enter the thread because of the seemingly non-help-requesting title.

Like "HELP, Problem with my GTO, water leaking from walls of garage"

10. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Time to move.