599 GTB late 08 | FerrariChat

599 GTB late 08

Discussion in '612/599' started by shaan, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    #1 shaan, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ladies and Gents

I have finally made the move from a Porsche 911 to a Ferrari 599 GTB. My first impression is what an awesome and talented machine.
    I have been a member for only a few weeks with Ferrari chat, which has been a valuable source of information.
    After speaking to dealers for the last 5 weeks, finally took delivery on the weekend. I always thought to myself as to what made a Ferrari special, and now have come to know why.
    Anyway, apart from the emotions it creates within you, my few points on the spec, good points and annoying points!

Spec:

- Black
    - Tan Leather
    - Ceramics, carbon, Daytona seats, etc

Good points:

- Ferocious Power
    - Great road presence
    - Very comfortable and spacious
    - Sublime handling for the size
    - Phenomenal noise after 4k rpm (sounds like an F1 Car!)

Bad Points:

- Squealing Ceramics
    - Jerky upshift – I think I need to get used to this
    - Dash says low petrol when giving it the beans for 10 secs
    - Parking at a downhill drive – have to be neutral and handbrake right to the edge! Tips appreciated

Else all good – I guess some niggling points have to be accepted in return of what the car offers you. Pics attached
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Congrats on your beautiful 599. I also did the jump from a P car to an F car a couple of years ago. The sound alone makes the 599 a darn good choice over a 911 (even a GT3 which is a great car). My experience is that "squeeky" brakes are common on ceramics and the jerky tranny usually gets better as you drive faster. So drive fast and wash off the dust from the ceramics and you'll be fine :)

3. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Congrats! You'll love it more with every mile :)

The ceramics squeak. Not always, but you'll learn to ignore it. Or downshift to reduce the amount of braking.

I would leave the car in gear when parked on a steep grade. I leave it in 1st when parked downhill and Reverse when parked uphill. Otherwise your car could roll away.

4. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Thank you Gents

I am learning more about the car on a daily basis - also using it for the station run and park.
    Yesterday i left the car in gear, and wasnt aware you could do that! it was such a releif.
    I also warmed the discs up properly and ensured that the ABS kicked in - result was no squealing for the evening.
    Light squek from the passenger side dashboard - but not an issue.

5. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I'm curious - how is the interior? Any leather shrinkage on the dash or sticky switches? I'm dealing with both on my '07.

6. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    None - the switches are perfect and there is no leather shrinkage. My understanding was that these problems were related to warmer climates and leaving the car in the sun.

7. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Great choice.

I drive mine more and more and found that the transmission will shift quite well during short-shifts and low throttle positions. If you level off you speed just before you pull on the paddle, then shift, it is really smooth. When you are at part throttle and pull the paddle, it will not be as smooth. But boy, get into it and the shifts are great.

Hey, it's almost like learning to drive a standard again..!

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Gorgeous and congrats. You've summed up 599 ownership beautifully.

Sounds like you need to get your parking brake adjusted.

9. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Spot on - and i completely agree. It is what you get used to, and there is not too much mention on best practise of how to drive these beautoful beasts well.
    Trial and error and practise is the way forward, but once mastered,
    its a complete joy... obviously during liberated driving keep the throttle on and shift at five lights on steering wheel!

10. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Hi Piper, I have got round the problem by leaving it in gear - so should be OK for some time.
    At the moment - its still all the emotions of excitement of driving - looking, and observing the lines of the car, something new each day is discovered.
    I will be keeping this car for sometime - and will drive it throughout the yr. My calculations and thoughts on those that feel less mileage is better means that depreciation vs the cars maintenence for standing still is higher than driving and having less problems!
    This car creates memories and emotions and i want to create more of those than the daily good night talk in the garage!

11. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Yesterday, via spirited driving i encountered a ticking noise coming from the brakes - not clear if front or back. I also feel that i have lost the bite on the ceramics when slowing down - does anyone know what this maybe?
    I will try to get this checked out by a dealer service dept.
    Thanks

12. RKE599

RKE599 Rookie

May 5, 2014
    Love the GTO grill!

13. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    I agree -- thanks.
    I am looking to do the following upgrades during the cooler and quieter months:

- Capristo Exhaust
    - Carbon Buttheads - (sorry not sure of the real name)
    - Carbon sills
    - GTO wheels

Will post pics over the coming time.
    Thx
    Shaan

14. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    My car had developed a tick-tick-tick sound from the front driver's side brake after a hard drive, which went away on its on after a cool down and hasn't come back since.
    It was most noticeable when coasting at speed without the brakes applied.

15. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I have the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, and HRE S101's in GTO sizes in my 599. Love them - maybe something you want to consider.

16. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulations...beautiful car. I just got my '08 this summer and had the same learning experience as did almost all 599 owners. It's a thorough bred which requires some getting to know. Drive and enjoy!

17. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Congratulations!

18. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Questions to the 599 audience out there:

- are the 599's hand made?
    - does anyone else flying buttresses out of alignment by a few millimteres?
    - are doors slighlty unalligned?

Mine are! just been on the phone to the dealer... hopefully will be resolved - but he has told me no accident or dings... just the way they are put together as hand made.
    Not sure if he is telling me fibs, as i have had the car for only 7 days.

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My buttresses aren't perfect. I don't care. Typical from Ferrari.

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Awesome car.

Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

21. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    My only exterior flaw is a teeny tiny ding that was pointed out to me on Sunday, and I can't stop looking at it!