Experience with Fabspeed 599 Secondary Catbypass Pipes? | FerrariChat

Experience with Fabspeed 599 Secondary Catbypass Pipes?

Discussion in '612/599' started by SierraBravo, Oct 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Like some posters, love my car but wish it had a little more of that wonderful Ferrari note audible under 4k. I've been reluctant to modify cars in the past but particularly so with a Ferrari. (Who am I to say it needs improvement?)

I'm not looking for obnoxious, just a little more of that sweet music. Any opinions and/or first hand experience with the Fabspeed tubes or other exhaust mods would be appreciated.

2. sitz

sitz Rookie

Apr 6, 2009
  3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why don't you just stay in a lower gear? I can't believe how beautiful my stock 599 sounds. Hauntingly gorgeous. I have no issue with aftermarket exhausts, generally speaking, but why mess with perfection?

4. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I bought a 599 with the fabspeed cat bypass and muffler delete. The previous owner loved it and i admit it sounds great, but it was too much for me. In addition, the car would not pass inspection in TX so I replaced it with the HGTE exhaust. Totally personal choice.

5. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good feedback. Thanks

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    SierraBravo,

If you are just looking to elaborate the perfect sound of your 599, these Secondary Cat-By-Pass pipes would be a great upgrade. They allow the car to become a little more alive without being over the top or obnoxious.

Ferrari 599 Secondary Catbypass Pipes - Fabspeed Motorsport

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As we as of course deleting emissions equipment making the car technically not legal. Better off sticking the valves open.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have this on my car- stock headers, fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, stock mufflers but with the flaps pulled open. I just haven't had a chance to really drive it much yet. So very brief initial first impression- its louder at startup. Probably 30% louder. Its meaningful. I had a friend give it a few revs while I was outside and it sounds like a cross between the GTO and GTB. Which I think is good-basically GTO volume level and has a bit of that rasp in the sound but ½ octave lower. I think the GTO sounds amazing but its a little bit too high of a sound for such a big car.

Startup from inside the car, it sounded about the same which surprised me.

Thats all I have for now but I think this is a great upgrade- you get better sound and maybe 30 more HP- its clear to me they just slapped those secondary cats on the car for emissions reasons and nothing else. Removing the secondary cats I don't think will throw any codes nor do I think it will fail any inspections.

When I have more time in it I will report back. Just busy with other things at the moment.

9. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I have had the same setup as Caeruleus11 for about 7000 miles. I love it.

10. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    I'm not sure what the Texas issue mentioned above is but I've put the Fabspeed cat delete system on my 599 as well. I live in an emissions testing county and had no problem at all with passing the annual inspection.

Here is a small video I took of the exhaust leaving my subdivision, probably getting the RPM to about 4,300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhdX7j3jxE

11. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    I would agree 100% with this post. On my car, we actually put it on the dyno before and after the cat delete. Gained 34 HP at the wheels. No CEL codes as the secondary cats are downline of the sensors.

Vladimir599 likes this.
  12. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    That was a fun video, Todd and the sound was terrific. Thanks.

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great video- can't wait to really give it some seat time :)

14. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Informative feedback gentleman particularly given my isolation from fellow F-car owners. Thanks!

15. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a 599 Alonso ( which obviously has the HGTE exhaust) and I immediately had the Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes installed when I purchased it. My understanding is that the pipes do not affect emissions as the primary cats remain. The sound with the bypass pipes is MUCH sweeter, but not over the top IMHO. Highly recommend!!!

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  17. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Todd,
    My car came from out of state and Boardwalk in Dallas advised me that it would probably fail inspection as it had both the cat bypass and muffler delete pipes. Not sure what they meant; fail emissions or visual? Either way the thing was too loud for me so I went back with factory parts.
    It is good to know that you can pass emissions with the cat bypass. I had a 612 HGTC 6 speed and it had a better exhaust note with the factory exhaust. I installed the HGTE exhaust on the 599 and even with the valves open it still is missing something. I may decide to tinker with this some more and reinstall the cat bypass at some point.
    Thanks for the info.

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In Virginia, it would fail safety if not emissions. Technically anyway. I'm sure plenty of cars make it through, but inspectors are required to fail inspection here if any emissions equipment is missing.

19. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I doubt any inspectors would catch it, and even then it could pass as a resonator delete.

20. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    Understand. I'm not sure either what Boardwalk meant in that case. But the key is that the primary cats are not affected and only the primary cats are monitored (ie CEL) so there shouldn't be any issue in TX regarding passing emissions.

If the exhaust is a bitt too loud for you, you might consider adding the remote system for opening and closing the valves. That way you can select the quieter mode with the valves closed below about 4,000 RPM, or open them at all engine speeds when you want them a bit louder. I've got the valves disconnected on mine so it's always open.

One thing I will say is that inside the car, windows up, you get just a bit of the increased exhaust note and don't really get the sensation of more volume than OEM unless you're outside. In fact, when my mech installed them, I came back to pick up the car and his first comment was "I can't tell that we changed anything". Once he started it up with me standing behind it, I immediately realized the increased and "improved" sound!

And as stated, he has a dyno so we checked it before and after. Picking up a little HP in the process was a bonus I really hadn't counted on.

21. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    Daniel, if we meet up at one of the local DFW C&C events, I'll take you around the block or two so that you can get an idea of how it sounds from inside the car.

22. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks Todd. I will take you up on that offer.

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've spent more time with the car now and I can back up everything positive written here but specifically what Todd (HogPilot) has written except the dyno as we didn't do that. Id like to add the car does feel a drop more urgent- especially as the revs build. Very interesting that the lower RPM part throttle shifts- the kind you'd do in regular driving feel like they are more positive. They used to occasionally jerk or judder. Now 99% of the time thats gone- its just smooth shifting- and once you are under way the shifts are even better too.

It seems to me this is a no brainer except from the stand point that it will be louder to the outside world. Inside the car it's a little louder but not wildly louder. And the tone has more melody to it and it changes depending on the revs.

24. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting about the improvement in shifting. Wonder if there are any techs out there that could explain this?

25. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    +1
    so do I… wonder why and where is the correlation between them.