612 Road Vibration and Shake in Idle | FerrariChat

612 Road Vibration and Shake in Idle

Discussion in '612/599' started by 3omar, Oct 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    As I drive my 2009 612 more and more, I'm noticing a couple of things:

- The car shakes a bit when idle and in neutral. I expected the V12 to be smoother than this. I expected that it would be so smooth that I wouldn't be able to tell whether or not the engine was on (except for the sound of course). Is that too unrealistic? Asked a Ferrari mechanic to take a look at it and he said it was normal...

- At highway speeds, there is too much vibration in the cabin. I changed tires and rebalanced the wheels. It's definitely not a rebal issue. I can feel the steering wheel and the seats communicate very small road surface irregularities that my eyes can't see when I look at the road. Believe me, roads in Dubai are silky smooth, yet the car is continuously telling me that they're not. Again, I expected a GT that is built for covering large distances to be more comfortable than this at highway speeds in 6th gear.

612 owners, what is your take on this?

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    You may need a re-alignment or there could be an issue with ball joints / tie rods, which are known to fail.

I've driven mine over the less than perfect roads and it is very stable and vibration free - and it is scheduled to have the the tie rod ball joints replaced in a couple of weeks.

Did the Ferrari mechanic actually drive the car or did you just speak with him only?

Best thing to do is drive the car WITH the mechanic in the car as well.

3. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    You need to get it looked at..... I have never had any issues like you've described. The 612 is supposed to be what you expected and that is what my experience has been.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Could be a bad motor mount on the vibration. What are the dates on the tires? Old tires can be a problem, too.

5. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Any squeaks when you press down on each corner of the car?

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The two issues you describe would most likely be related, and if so, then tires and alignment are probably not the issue. I would say it is an engine/drivetrain issue.

One thing I would definitely not do is take it to that so called Ferrari mechanic. What you are experiencing is not normal.

7. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Agreed, not normal. If car is left and not started for a few days or more you may get a mild shake for 5-10 seconds after start up but should go away immediately. And on the road it should be smooth like silk. That's sort of the point of the 612 - a refined GT

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I notice a little bit of vibration at idle, but it's smooth on the road. I think I'm more sensitive to the idle vibration because my other car is a Tesla...

9. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Check the balancing on the rear tyres - vibrations in general come from rear wheel balancing.
    Also check if the car pulls when no hands on steering and car moving.
    Also check bushes, track arms and rods... But i feel that it will be the rear tyres that need balancing

10. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Just another thought: it might simply be a faulty spark plug that fires occasionally only. I had that once (550, the faulty plug brand new from Ferrari, by the way, I was already afraid that something more serious had been done wrong...) and the driving experience was quite similar to yours.

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    As he stated in the beginning, the vibration is there in idle, not only when the car is in motion.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I'd also tend to think along the lines of a misfire, timing issue, spark plug wires, plugs etc. An engine not firing right, can vibrate like crazy.

13. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    - At highway speeds, there is too much vibration in the cabin. I changed tires and rebalanced the wheels. It's definitely not a rebal issue. I can feel the steering wheel and the seats communicate very small road surface irregularities that my eyes can't see when I look at the road. Believe me, roads in Dubai are silky smooth, yet the car is continuously telling me that they're not. Again, I expected a GT that is built for covering large distances to be more comfortable than this at highway speeds in 6th gear.

"At Highway Speeds"!!!

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Misfires to the point of causing a vibration should throw a code and set the CEL - doesn't sound like the OP is having a CEL...

15. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Thanks for your help, guys...

From what I read here, and on further thought, I think I am having two completely separate issues:

1. A shake at idle that is engine or engine mount related.

2. Vibration at highway speeds that is suspension/rebalancing/alignment related.

The car is going in Monday to check both issues.

Will update...