Importing European spec 599 GTO to Canada | FerrariChat

Importing European spec 599 GTO to Canada

Discussion in '612/599' started by zvdxb, Oct 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    I know the general rule is you cannot import a car that is less than 15 years old into Canada unless it's a North American spec, but I was told that if you are ready to spend some money , you could get it modified . Anyone know if this is possible ? If so what is the procedure ?

2. fpcars

fpcars Karting

May 18, 2008
    Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Peter
    still actual?

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Takes about 5 minutes on Google to answer that question.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You might start with browsing or searching the threads in the Canada regional forum section. There are a bunch of threads regarding importing Ferraris into Canada.

5. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    How many GTO's were imported to Canada directly from the factory ? Are there so few in Canada that it would pay to import/legalize same ? Are Euro spec GTO's THAT much cheaper than Canadian spec GTO's (aside from GTO's in Italy) ?

As an aside I know that recently (2013/2014) a company tried to import non-US spec GTO's into the US and although I think their application is still pending (not sure) they were met with some VERY stiff opposition from FNA (and the factory of course). You can go online to see what needed to be done (according to FNA) to legalize the GTO to US specs by a cursory examination of their opposition letter to the US agency handling such matters. There is a voluminous amount of things that needs to be done and a plethora of the stuff was design/testing which is obviously massive $$$. So while the US specs may me different to Canadian specs and while Canadian specs may be close to Euro specs I think that only a true professional in this area is capable of opining with respect to requirements. My 2 cents.

6. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I forgot to add that I think that the factory was strongly attempting to protect their "legitimate" (yeah take that with a grain of salt) owner base in the US (with only 125 US spec cars out of 599 in the World). I also think a secondary rationale is to avoid warranty issues that could arise even on CPO vehicles, if the US govt were to accede and permit the importation of the other 474 GTO's or whatever the real # is). I know your asking about Canada but I think the factory will have the same response. After the 15 year mark in Canada and the 25 year mark in the US the factory won't oppose anything as the cars don't need any modding to be imported. The ancillary benefit is that if you have a GTO in that "chosen" region it will more likely than not appreciate in value at some point prior to that 15/25 year mark.

7. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    He prefers the opinion of trusted Fchat members rather than answers found randomly on google

8. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    How difficult is it to import a Canadian GTO to the US....I suppose I could just "Google" it but I was hoping to hear if anybody on FCHAT has actually done so. Cheers!

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    u really wanna collect them huh

10. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    well.....YES! so, how difficult is it? Has anybody else brought a Canadian GTO back to the US...?

11. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    There are definitely some modifications to make but Canadian and U.S. are considered North American specs so I would assume it's possible without having to wait 25 years !

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Marmist- What he needs is the Canadian government site that answers all his questions, not a bunch of internet amateurs' opinions. As usual, you added nothing.

13. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Lately as a replacement for my lost 456 I was inquiring to import a 612 from the F. Dealer in Monaco through the Mtl F. Dealer & their broker= no can do-the 15 years clause still prevail (tought that from one official F dealer to another there was a way but I was wrong).
    The Mtl F. Dealer is owned by Lawrence Stroll so I figure that they must have quite an expertise about importing F. Cars from around the globe= if you cant you cant.

14. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    It's to not flood the american/canadian market with the thousands of Ferraris sitting abroad so that they can keep prices up.

in your first answer, neither did u.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  16. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    who knows, maybe zvdxb values his seconds more than you :)

or maybe, but JUST MAYBE he also wanted to chit chat a bit about it.

17. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Speechless :-( what a troll

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative. Nothing added to anything.

19. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    My GTO is Canadian although I purchased it in Cleveland from a Porsche Dealer.

The dealer said it was not a big deal to bring it into the states as it meets all United States requirements.

From the carfax:

Purchased: 2014
    Where: British Columbia,
    Ohio
    Est. length owned: 3/15/14 - 5/1/14 (1 month)

03/15/2014 British Columbia Motor Vehicle Dept. Burnaby, BC
    Registration issued or renewed
    New owner reported

03/21/2014 US Dept of Transportation Blaine,WA
    Vehicle imported and declared to meet US highway safety specifications
    Bond released on 05/21/2014

05/01/2014 4,615 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

05/20/2014 4,616 Ohio Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Vehicle purchase reported

05/21/2014 Ohio Motor Vehicle Dept. Beachwood, OH Title #4302729222
    Title issued or updated
    Dealer took title of this vehicle while it was in inventory

I purchased it on June 26th.

20. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Zvdxp as I recall 4x GTO were sold through the Ferrari Que. One might be for sale -a 2011 rosso corsa I believe with about 8,000 km, maybe I can inquire with the owner so pm me if you really want this model.
    I am not in the trade-just passionate.

21. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Pm sent northman.

22. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    so how long did the process actually take from the time you purchased the car to the time it was delivered unless of course you drove it back into the states? thanks!

23. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I bought it after it had already been imported into the states by the Porsche dealer in Cleveland so I have no idea how long the process took. When I asked the dealer how complicated of a process it was to get it into the states he said very easy and a short time. He did not give me any details though.