Qestion on a 612 PPI / purchase | FerrariChat

Qestion on a 612 PPI / purchase

Discussion in '612/599' started by Countachqv, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I dont post much in here but have been reading up. After hopelessly looking at a testarossa purchase and not finding any values out there at this moment, a friend an I are looking at 612.
    (yes i know,quite a change of mind )

We found a 2005 in the San Diego area and after inital talks, we are ready to get the car into a PPI. I have a few questions:

1. Anyone here is around San Diego who has a 612 ? we may not fligh over there and rely on PPI for the purchase.
    2. Any good recommendation for an F shop to do the PPI from a 612 owner who knows for a fact?
    3.Car had a gearbox control replaced? any known issue with those?
    4. anyone has a pic of ball polished rims and what they look like to confirm what I am looking at?

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #2 southnc, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    612 would run circles around a TR and maintenance should be much cheaper. 612s are also much rarer - they built nearly 2.5 times more TRs than Scags.

Assuming your looking at one with F1 transmission, the big gottcha on the the gear box, from my experience, is broken reverse levers. They'll cost you like 5K to replace if broken.

I've attached one of the checklists I have.

Good luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gary Bobileff's shop near San Diego comes highly recommended for PPIs.

4. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    outstanding guys!
    yes , the maintenance has been one of the 2 deciding factor for change. Sellers with unrealistic expections was the other but on that subject theyare enough ragin posts.

since we are looking for a car we can drive long distance each week and enjoy the 612 appears a better choice in this case

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    some update.

I got these info:

"Brake Pads currently are at 6mm width of material
    no records if the clutch was replaced the current wear is 50%.
    Tires are currently front 5mm and rear 4mm"

For the 612 experts I have some questions:
    brake 6mm from.. what new? How much can I set for brakes?
    clutch probaly original.How long will the clutch likely wear if driving responsibly? how much $ should i set for clutch ?
    Tires what are the new tires threads? tires should be around $4Kright?

6. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    SOUTHNC,

Great check list.

Edward

7. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    ....you can find one needing little and with very good records for service......keep looking....imvho

8. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Hi guys, just bumping this thread. Does anyone has the figures for new parts?

1. How thick are new front break pads. Is 6mm left waranting a replacement soon?
    2. Is a clutch at 50% needing a replacement soon? I am thinking that if 15K shaved 50% then there is another 10K-15K miles in that clutch.
    3. What are supposed to be new tire threads for that car. Is 4-5 mm left requiring new tires in less than 1 year at 2Kmiles/year for that car? And how much do you guys pay for a replacement all around with which type of tires?

Finally there are 2 Ferrari dealerships in San Diego. I am not sure Bobileff is best for newer F cars PPi. Regardless, my friend would rather have a PPI done at a formal dealership.

Is one San Diego dealer preferable to the other?

thks

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think your best bet is to price the work where you would most likely have it done. There can be significant price differences, particularly between dealerships and independent shops, not to mention geographic areas.