612 for daily use? | FerrariChat

612 for daily use?

Discussion in '612/599' started by toffee, Nov 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toffee

toffee Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Indian Wells
    I am planning to buy a fun car for daily use, daily means around town in the desert and occasionally goes into Los Angeles for weekend trips (250 miles round trip). 612 is one of the final candidates. For daily use, running up mileage, any known issues that one should be aware off?

Thanks for helping.

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Other than avoiding a lot of stop and go, it's perfect.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its a dream daily driver. not sure what piper means about stop and go. the car is more than fine in traffic. love love my OTO

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The OTOs definitely have an advantage in stop and go traffic because of their twin disc 599 clutch.

5. toffee

toffee Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Indian Wells
    I am expecting about 8-10k miles per year, half of which highway, ie going LA, San Diego or Las Vegas. The other half, rest stop and go in the desert. Would a budget of say $3-5k per year on maintenance be comfortable? As daily driver, the major thing is reliability, don't want to stuck on hwy etc.,

6. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    car is fantastic in all situations other than tight parking spaces/car parks etc

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, neither the OP or I qualified our remarks. We should have. If I'm talking about an OTO, I'll definitely say OTO. Totally different animal with much better clutch response and clutch life. I actually enjoyed switching back and forth between the early 612 and my 599 for the time I had both. The '05 612 was a different drive and still very fun. But I wouldn't want to take a pre-OTO 612 into downtown or rush hour, ever really, any more than I would a 360.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #8 Piper, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    You don't have to worry about reliability with the 612. You won't get stuck. Over the long haul, somewhere in your estimate, maybe $4k a year would probably bear out to be correct. Some of it is within your control, some isn't. For instance, take a good look around especially from the back eat and you'll realize there's about $50k worth the leather in that car. All of it and especially the area around and beneath the windshield needs to be taken care of, ie Leatherique a few times a year. Just a minor labor of love, but replacing that dash leather costs $thousands. You also can choose to be gentle with the switches. The window switches, reverse lever and mirror control are all delicate. Treat them well and you'll avoid those expenses. You'll spend maybe $1500 a year for annuals, another $3-6k every five or six years on major work from belts to cam seals, and expect another couple $k every 15-20k miles in suspension. Clutch is a wildcard, all depends on you and your driving habits. Could be 10k miles, or 50k. Cost also varies greatly, as it could be just the clutch itself, or you could end up needing other items from flywheel to throwout bearing.

9. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    If i didn't live in Chicago, land of the potholes and BRUTAL winters, I would drive my 612 seven days a week.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bob, others...So, would you say that if one anticipated that their 612 would spend most of its time engaging in spirited driving on country back roads & highway road trips that there is less of a performance difference between pre- and post-OTO Scaglietti?...T

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You can upgrade a pre OTO suspension with the HGTC package. That's 90% of what you'll miss pre OTO in spirited driving. In my experience the early 612 shifts plenty fast for that kind of driving. Others may disagree.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If I were going to buy a pre-OTO car, I'd probably look for a manual for that task. The OTO F1 is simply better in every respect, but does that mean the older car is bad? No, it's still a wonderful car.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tom- No real difference in performance between the pre-OTOs and OTOs. Updated Motronic injection/ignition introduced in late summer 2007, but no claimed increase in performance. The big difference in the OTOs is increased reliability from the 599 gearbox case and twin plate clutch and much better shifting with Superfast 1 incorporated. HGT2 OTOs actually offer ~85 ms min shift times, same as the HGTE 599 not introduced until 2010.

Here is a factory blurb on the late 07/early 08 pre-OTOs with the Motronic update and optionally available HGT2 and CCMs. CCMs became standard on the OTOs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. toffee

toffee Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Indian Wells
    In my case, manual won't work as Mrs. haven't driven a manual for decades and have no intention of trying again. Sounded like OTO is the one the have for the twin disc clutch? On the same note, anyone acquainted with Bentley GTC? Similar maintenance cost as 612 ?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No clue on Bentleys, but the auto mode in the OTO is superior to that in the pre-OTOs, even though the pre-OTO's FIA system in auto works pretty well.

16. toffee

toffee Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Indian Wells
    #16 toffee, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The easy way to drive from the desert would be on I-10, which is boring. OR there are back roads like Hwy 74 ... almost perfect for 612?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Absolutely

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was thinking about this thread while I was out driving my 612 this afternoon. For what you want, I think the 612 is probably the BEST car in the world.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I live nearby 74 (on the ocean side) and often drive my 612 there - it does well. BTW, I cannot make that picture fit any section of 74...?

20. toffee

toffee Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Indian Wells
    it's where the 74 starts from palm desert (ele 150ft), in less than 30 miles, it climbs to 4600ft ele. lots of curves and hairpins. in that section, then it flattens out at 4600ft for 20 miles or so, total horse country. Then it goes up again towards Idyllwild before "slowly" down to the ocean. I have not driven the Idyllwild to ocean proption, from Palm Desert to Idyllwild it's well pathed all the way. Perfect to fast road driving.

Everytime I drive on that road, it somewhat reminded me of the opening minute of the '60s movie "italian Job".

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not knowing what I'm missing in an HGTC, to me, my '05 cornered on rails. A base 612 without HGTC still corners beautifully.

22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #22 ar4me, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Ah, the other end. Been a few years since I went 74 from Hemet to Idyllwild, and even longer since driving the stretch down towards the Salton Sea.

23. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Couldn't agree more. Drove mine for more than 20.000kms in two years, no serious Problems. Great car, great shape!
    Shame these classic-looking Ferraris are not made any more.

24. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    I drove Hwy 74 more than once in my 612 OTO, and it was a seat-of-the-pants thrill. The climb is effortless because of the V12 power, and the cornering is superb because, well, it's a Ferrari.

I don't know if you're still looking at the 612, but my Palm Springs driving observations are that the 612 is a thrilling way to make the drive, but bear in mind that the OTO has a glass roof (that is electrochromatic, meaning you can darken or lighten the tint with a control knob) and you will get more sunlight intrusion on those hot desert days. No problem, though, just drive faster with the window open.

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I heard that Ferrari is making custom books on each car made for VIP clients. this occured on the 612.

Question is:did they make this for each car and then print only the one paid for by VIPs?

how to know if such book was made for a particular car and you cant reach the 1st billionaire owner?