questions on sluggish start- 599 | FerrariChat

questions on sluggish start- 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by sarum87, Nov 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    I have a 2010 599 HGTE with 2,400 miles on it. drove from san francisco to santa barbara and the car ran great. today we drove around and then parked for a few hours. when i started the car, it ran really sluggish- felt like it was going to stall. Kinda felt like it wasn't running on all cylinders. didn't sound right either. when i gave it gas it felt like it couldn't get into gear, kind of sluggish. i was not getting any error messages on the dash. i pulled over and shut the car off, then started in about 1 minute later and it was just fine. ran perfectly. It was unnerving. anyone else experience anything like this? thanks

2. nickmaris

nickmaris Rookie

Nov 1, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    nick maris
    I've had recurring problems of this sort, usually accompanied by various warnings coming up. Always occurred after restarting the car and usually following a period when the engine and transmission got hot, either because of spirited driving or because of being in heavy traffic.

The car never exhibited signs of overheating when in use, problems only arose after a period of 'heat soak' when parked.

A typical sequence of error messages goes like this - manettino control failure (sometimes) - ecs failure - cst failure. Gauges read normal, but if I run the car it is in some kind of limp home mode with reduced power. If I shut down and restart error messages clear and car runs normally.

The last time this happened was after a track day, as there were expert Ferrari mechanics on hand they took over the car and let it run at idle. The car overheated and dumped its cooling water. They had a diagnostic plug on when this happened, and it reported (in Italian) cooling fan failure. They jump wired the cooling fans, and I was able to limp to the garage with everything about the car terrible, reduced power, terrible transmission shifts, stalling on down changes etc.

When they tested it they found the original solenoids were ok, but they replaced them anyway. My theory was that there is a problem with the ECU of which there are two identical units they told me (on the left and right sides of the engine bays) one of which the right controls the fans. They've swapped this left for right - and I'll see if the problem recurs.

So my summary is that one or more of the ECU units is heat sensitive and when it soaks, it fails leading to the problems you experienced. The manettino is near the transmission, and I don't know how that error relates to the above.

Parenthetically I've twice had problems with brake fade (even though has ceramic disks) during track days. Cured with a fluid change. I think the brake fluid needs changing annually if you're doing track days. I also find that a set of pads lasts maybe 3 track days.

regards

Nick

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you don't wait the 10 seconds or so for the "CHECK OK" light to come on before driving off, that is what you will experience.

4. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Ive always found that the longer I let the v12s warm up, the better they drive.

5. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I found this to be absolutely correct. Turn the key on, wait to Check Ok to come on. Hit start, then wait for the check engine light to extinguish before doing anything else. If I follow this protocol, I have no issues. If I hurry the process, I risk error messages and issues.

6. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    The engine has dry sump lubrication (remember?) and really needs to be brought up to temperature, the manual mentions I believe, 145 degrees, and strongly recommends so, before you take off. This is not a car for getaways.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not true on the temp before you start driving. Warming her up before starting off is a waste of gasoline and does nothing for the engine. Let her come down from high idle partially and then drive off gently, avoiding going over 4000 rpm until ~70 C/160F. Then everything warms up at the same time.

8. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I was in Santa Barbara Ca and it was in mid 80s. I was driving for about 30 minutes then parked to have lunch. When I came back I had the issues. My original thought was my transmission was shot, then I thought the car was not running on all cylinders, but I finally felt that it could be a computer problem. It does seem like the starting procedure matters because when I shut the car off after a few minutes experiencing the issues, it started right up and all was fine. So strange. Anyway, I did a lot of spirited driving. The car absulotelly rips!

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have kind of the same problem.
    After giving it a blast and putting it away hot, I go to start it the next day and it starts on about 6 for a few seconds and then sorts itself out, but has never done it for more than a few seconds. It also did this after a spirited drive to SilverStone and being parked for 6ish hours, so I was thing some sort of vaporization.
    Once, it started badly I then moved it from one garage to the other, so the engine did not get hot, it did not seem to do it the next time i when to start it.

Last year at the service they checked everything and said it was a slightly low battery, so I had to buy a new battery. When they delivered it back it was better but not 100% right, over this summer it got a worse, back to how it was. It is now being serviced and they have diagnosed fuel pump problems, they have to come by boat from Italy as they have the name Fuel on them so they will not fly them? I will let you know how they get on, I should get it back this week.
    Ps just remembered, A friend had a new 599 years ago, and he said it once ran really badly, it turned out the fuel cap was not done tight!

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This is what I do with my 612. Good advice, IMO.

11. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    And my mechanic agrees with you. Thanks for the correction.

12. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Secondary air pump likely the culprit. Very finicky in 599 and 612s.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I Got mine back yesterday. Seems to start much better, but I will probably not to be able to tell for sure until next year as winter is coming in fast, and I might not get chance to give it some beans, before i put it away for a few months.

14. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Good advice. Through a 360, a 575M and now, a 599 my practice is wait for the OK, start, open the garage door, pull out forward and gently back down the drive to the street on an acute angle so as not to bottom out. Then, drive out of the development and on to a six mile back road for about 20 minutes at 40 mph until all temps synchronize. About then I get on the four lane and do what we do. Never had an issue with any of the horses.