Early Vanquish or 612??? | FerrariChat

Early Vanquish or 612???

Discussion in '612/599' started by DomDom, Nov 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DomDom

DomDom Rookie

May 3, 2010
    Hi everyone, how would you compare the differences between these two cars? They are both near the bottom of their depreciation curves and are tempting! I would probably put about 500 miles a year on one. Would you say one costs more to maintain than the other, given I start with a nice example? Are Ferrari people different from the Aston crowd with different expectations? I really don't see much of an upside as an investment, but what do you think the future holds for either? I've enjoyed this forum and I appreciate your thoughts and insight !!

2. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I have a Vanquish S and a friend with an early Vanq just in the process of buying a 612. I am helping him for the choice.

These are 2 different cars.
    First the Vanquish community is great. So are the 612 guys here. All are trying to help. So that is not relevant.

The choice really depends on what you'll want out of it.

A 612 seems much more reliable, cheaper to maintain and has 4 seat that are someow usable. It is also probably a lighter car to drive. the 612 may not have the presence of an Aston on the road but it is a real driver from all I gather.

the vanquish on the other hand is a real beauty.The sound after bypassing the valves is unique but you got to buy a sorted car. AMOC has the info. Basically you want the S cluth mod on the early vanquish and the coils replaced.
    The vanquish is a rare car at 2500+ units but not as "cheap" to maintain. It will be a collectors car. The last Pagnell hand assembled.
    the 2 rear seats are a joke and not right for the car. The 2+0 are better as a future investment

That said what you really want is a S model if you can reach there.There is a gorgeous midnight blue for sale at less than $100K.that is simply a lot of car for the money and is yet undiscovered or not hitting the years to appreciate yet.

so IMO investment and a gorgeous powerful car => vanquish
    a more reliable driver more efficent on the road => 612

if you would say driving 10Kmiles /year, i'll say the 612. But at 500miles, i'll say reach a vanquish S for value. They are at the bottom right now and that is why I just got one

3. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    612!!!!

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    612 is significantly quicker. Vanquish S is 0-60 in 4.8 sec compared to 4.2 in a Scaglietti. Which is prettier is obviously subjective, but I think the 612 comes out ahead on all marks.

5. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Make sure you can live with the interior...the interior design was what kept me out of one. Just didn't mesh well with me.
    Shame too since I always adored the car.

6. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    612 vs rapide is a better comparison. Ferrari man..hands down!!

7. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    612..... all day.

8. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I drove a Vanquish S recently, great sounds and entertaining, but the auto gearbox is not great. I saw the repair bills and they are very solid ($$$). 612 has always reminded me of my 550, just larger in every way. Its a huge thing. I would take the Vanquish with a manual gearbox, but it takes some time to find one.

9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I believe in the UK at least Aston offer a retro fit conversion to a manual gearbox.
    I wish ferrari did the same for the 575M !

10. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Was about to buy a 05 Vanquish manual-love the design but once inside=Ford "De Luxe".
    Went with an older 94 456GT and everything "feels right"-just have to live with the front end design then its just me = highly subjective.
    For an investment point of view I would go also for a S 2+0 manual (AM first generation padleshift are horrible), if you want to drive often I would say that a 612 would be easier to live with but most likely be padleshift model. If you go with the later OTO model then I would compare with a DBS (same price range).
    Good luck and keep us posted.

11. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If you, get a manual Vanquish. Autosport Design sells a few per year.

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I saw a rare triple black V12 Vanquish with manual transmission at a local Cars & Coffee. Now that version of the Vanquish is certainly something to consider.

Otherwise, go with a 612 HGTS / HGTC, or OTO.

14. DomDom

DomDom Rookie

May 3, 2010
    Thank you all for your thoughts! I appreciate your responses!

15. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    For me its rather DB9 or DBS vs. 612, Vanquish I think is rather outdated (not the new one of course), specially the auto gearbox. Anyway, I intend to add a DB9 to my Scal as I love both. Timeless styling!

Stefan

16. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Right, if you want to compare a 612 then a DB9 would be more equivalent in the 2+2 segment.
    If you are looking at a Vanquish S 2+0/DBS then I would suggest a 599 now that prices at coming down in the $ 150,000 bracket.

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #17 Countachqv, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    below is a link to a 2007 same question. Also if you ask Ferrari 612 or Aston in a 612 forum, you know the answer you'll get. :)
    It all depends what you are really looking for in a car.

What is clear is Aston guys tend to trend on the S model and an Aston MUST have service records or have been recently serviced with proof if it has no records or you walk or buy it for a BMW price.

18. DomDom

DomDom Rookie

May 3, 2010
    I'm in Fort Lauderdale on vacation this week and today I had the chance to look at a Vanquish S vs a 612. I've never seen a 612 in person before... It's a big car! Regarding the interior it's no comparison.. The 612 is stunning!!!!!

19. DomDom

DomDom Rookie

May 3, 2010
    Check out this 6 speed 612 that just popped up on eBay! Sorry I'm not sure how to do a link!!!!

Advanced
    Hi! Sign in or registerDaily DealsSellHelp & Contact
    My eBayExpand My eBay
    Notification

Back to search results |Listed in category:
    eBay Motors>Cars & Trucks>Ferrari>612

Click to view larger image and other views

Have one to sell? Sell now
    2005 Ferrari 612
    2005 612 FERRARI 6 speed599 575 550 456 430 360 6 speed
    | Add to watch list
    13 viewed per hour
    Seller : dean61261 (204 ) 100% Positive feedback
    Follow this seller | See other items
    Item condition:Used
    Time left: Time left: 20d 21h 12/3, 2:56PM
    Price:US $87,500.00 Buy It Now
    2 watching Add to watch list
    Add to collection
    Longtime member
    Get low monthly payments | get an instant decision
    Get free insurance quotes from RateKick | Learn More
    Shipping: See item description for shipping details | Vehicle shipping quote available

Item location:
    Hollywood, Florida, United States

Ships to:
    Worldwide
    Payments:
    Full payment is required within 7 days of auction close

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That is a fantastic deal, assuming car has no major issues.

Here is another one that is listed for nearly 190K!!:
    Ferrari 612 Scaglietti | eBay

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I would not trust that deal.
    go to the vendor site and look carefully.
    description does not match.Ebay description indicates noservice.
    No record or free cafax provided.
    rust spots on the body at 15K miles!!!?
    yes it is a manual but gosh this looks like a far shoteven at this price.

22. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm suspicious as well.

However, 612 is all-aluminum and aluminum corrodes; but, it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion. Right?

23. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Often hear statements like the one above regarding 612 and completely disagree with them. 612 has great road presence (imho) and is extremely rare. It stands out and is quite a sight to behold when seen in traffic.
    Astons on the other hand although beautiful suffer from the excessive use of the same design in various flavours leading to a somewhat lower uniqueness and wow factor.

24. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i dont have pic of the bills of a new transmission for the vanquish under 5k miles old, but its something that will make ur heart stop.
    i love the 1st gen vanquish when its under warranty, flip it immediately when its out.

my low mileage 612 is out of warranty for 2 years now, only sticky parts, dead battery, and broken mirror knobs are a concern, otherwise ok.

25. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree with johns930. I had a 05 Vanquish S had less than 5k miles clutch went out (out of warranty) and interior is like that of a Ford Focus.