599: Engine & Assembly Numbers, and Date of Production, etc. | FerrariChat

599: Engine & Assembly Numbers, and Date of Production, etc.

Discussion in '612/599' started by 134282, Nov 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #1 134282, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This was a recent topic of discussion in the 360/430 section, so I made individual thread about it (here's the one on the 360 and here's the one on the 430).

Anyway, I thought I'd also make a thread on the 599, in case owners and others are curious about certain points of interest on this model.

1. The first picture is self-explanatory - it's the engine bay.

2. The second picture shows the 599 GTB logo, as well as the matricola plate affixed to the front engine bay cover. The matricola plate bears the car's serial number; the serial number is the last six digits of the VIN.

3. The third picture shows the exact location of the matricola plate on the engine bay front cover.

4. The fourth picture shows the location of the engine type and number, stamped into the block. If you're purchasing a car, it's good to confirm that the engine number matches the engine number printed on the warranty card.

5. The fifth picture shows the assembly number - this is a bit more difficult to see. If you're standing at the front of the car, and the hood is open, lean over and look down past the front engine bay cover, and you'll see the assembly number.

6. The sixth picture shows the VIN tag on the door jamb.

7. The seventh picture shows the data plate on the same door jamb. The data plate is important because not only does it have the VIN, it also has the car's month and year date of production.

8. The ninth picture shows the location of the car's color sticker. NOTE: I have seen this sticker placed in different sections of the underside of the hood - but the sticker itself always looks the same, so at least you know how it looks.

9. The ninth picture shows the matricola plate on the dashboard. Stamped into the matricola plate is the car's serial number - again, the serial number is merely the last six digits of the VIN.

10. The 10th picture... If you ordered (or second-hand) purchased a 599 that wears a dedication plate, it will be on the dash. This picture give you an impression of where the dedication is affixed.

11. The 11th picture shows a 599...

12. the 12th picture gives us a closer look at the 11th picture, and where exactly you can find the VIN at the base of the windshield.

13. The 13th picture shows a sticker that's affixed to the first page of the warranty card. This sticker will tell you the year, make, model, country, VIN, and engine number of the car in question. If you're buying a pre-owned car, it helps to check that ALL of the VINs (and serial numbers) in ALL of the different places are identical.

I hope these are helpful. If I missed something, just let me know and I'll add it. Body numbers are separate from assembly numbers, but I've never seen one on a contemporary Ferrari - I've only ever seen them listed on build sheets and in MODIS. If someone has a picture of a body number (maybe written in chalk on the inside of a door panel?), I would love to see it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    All of these can be found on pages 16-20 of your 599 owner's manual.

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have barely cracked an owners manual in my life, but I do read fchat.

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sorry, Gary, I don't have a 599 owner's manual - but through my Ferrari documentation, I've learned these things, and thought I'd post them in case others were curious and/or did not know, and/or hadn't seen pages 16 through 20 of the owners manual.

Thanks, Bob!

5. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Hey Carbon,
    You can download Owner's Manuals from The Ferrari Data Base for free:

All Ferraris

There's so much to read...
    Ciao,
    Gary

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's wrong with Carbon throwing out a hint on how people can spot vins and chassis numbers. Did he offend you somehow?

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think it's good information for buyers who do not yet have an owners manual to look at.

8. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    There is nothing wrong and I was never offended.
    You read too much into the post.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why don't we just answer 95% of all questions here with "STFU & RTFM? Carbon's as great an enthusiast as you will find here. His passion is vins. Why anyone would want to give him a hard time for starting a thread about it is beyond me.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I keep a small database of 575s with serial number and assembly number. Every new owner asks where to find the assembly number. I use Carbon's photo like the one above to tell them where to find it.

11. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Bob,
    You are absolutely correct in that it is beyond you, because I wasn’t giving him a hard time. That’s what I meant by reading TOO much into my post.

Carbon put a lot of effort into his post with narrative, pictures and arrows. I was trying to point out that he is covering unnecessary ground. If I had put all that effort into such an endeavor and found out that the information is easily accessed on line by anyone, I would eagerly download the Owner’s Manual myself and indulge. I think Carbon is great and was trying to save him some time.

Relax.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I'm not offended, and I'm sorry that anyone's comments, including my own, may have obfuscated the topic in any way.

I'm aware that the owners manual(s) offer what I've posted - but not in color, and not quite the way I've presented it here. I've seen the pictures in the manuals, and I created this thread for two reasons: 1. I, myself, prefer to see things explained to me in as real a fashion as possible, with as much detail as possible, because when learning something new, I'm the king of laymen; and, 2. ...well, ****, I forgot the second part (because my laymanism comes with a side of ADD). But whatever, I enjoyed making the thread, I hope others enjoyed it - and, oh! I just remembered! Since creating these threads (this is the third in a series), I've already received TWO private messages from owners who have shared with me their VINs, engine numbers, assembly numbers, dates of production, etc. In one case, we learned that one owner's Ferrari engine was built after a later car's engine, even though the cars are 500+ builds apart, and the assembly numbers for the two cars differ by nearly 2,000! And both cars share the exact same month and year of production! When you begin looking at the numbers comparatively, Ferrari's inner workings are quite compartmentalized and nothing short of interesting as they are mysterious.

Terry, on a side note, I could use your help with creating a thread like this for the 550/575M/Superamerica series. I once photographed a 550 engine number, but now, every time I see a Maranello with its hood up, I can't seem to find the stamping! It drives me crazy! I know it's on the left side (passenger's side) near the headlight, but I'm still at a loss every time I see "under the skirt" of a Maranello.

marklintott likes this.
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Carbon- Will get busy with a flash on 135171. You just about need a flashlight to see the engine number.

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thank you, Terry! And please, take your time - my goal is to start a 458 thread next (since I was able to get some choice pictures from yesterday's toy gathering), and I still have a few things to do before I organize the images to get that thread going (like sleep, since I've been up for two days).

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is great information and I think a valuable attention to the 599 section. I'm not sure how many of us really bother to check these things.