Opinions on 599 | FerrariChat

Opinions on 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by MC3SIXTY, Nov 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MC3SIXTY

MC3SIXTY Karting

Oct 20, 2011
    MA & TX
    #1 MC3SIXTY, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    I've never been that active on this forum as far as posting but I find it a constant source of knowledge, enthusiasm - and of course opinion.

Taking a hard look at the car listed below and would welcome any feedback as to color, options, history, and the like. I know its important to find a car that "I like", and this one fits the bill so I've passed the first test.

07 problematic over other years? Is the car optioned correctly? It has aftermarket exhaust - does that hurt too much? There are volumes of info in this section but I'd like to hear responses regarding this one in particular.

http://www.cncexotics.com/detail-2007-ferrari-599_gtb_fiorano-2dr_coupe-used-12677568.html

Thanks in advance!

Mike

2. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    The car looks great in the photos. First, check all the usual stuff - maintenance records, etc. A PPI is always a good idea. Check for the usual Ferrari issues - leather shrinkage, sticky plastic, etc. Make sure everything works properly - parking sensors, etc. I didn't see the aftermarket exhaust listed - what brand is it? Last question: is this a driver / keeper or a trinket? If it's a driver / keeper, then buy it if you like it and drive the snot out of it!

3. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I recently asked this very same question. I believe you will be pleased with the answers you receive. A 2007 has only one issue - you cannot upgrade the HGTE package if desired. However, I am told that isn't even true if the 07' is a late model; say Sept or later of that year!

Modern Ferrari's do not have belts. Therefore, the biggest things I suggest paying attention to on top of what has already been mentioned is being driven at least 1000 miles a year for it's age and clutch wear. She is so new, that maintenance isn't necessarily your biggest concern. You can be the one to mold her and make her yours!

Nice example - even the red looks okay!

You should definitely be able to get that car for $155 or less. Don't hesitate to walk away. Not many people willing to sink that kind of money. Therefore, make them think a buyer will never come around again if you they don't accept your offer!

Keep us posted.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #4 Caeruleus11, Nov 25, 2014
    You can get the HGTE suspension but not the HGTE shift reprogram if you desire to upgrade the car. The aftermarket exhaust probably doesn't hurt too much but it doesn't help either. The interior color looks good to my eyes but it won't be everyone's cup of tea which means when you go to sell you will have a smaller market of potential buyers which means you will either need more time than you'd like or lower the price more than you like. These are great cars. I would make sure the tires are new and also the tire pressure sensors (TPMS) are new.

This car looks like its pretty well loaded with the options available at the time. I can't tell if it has iPod but it should. FYI you might need an adapter to make the iPod connector work with newer iPods/ iPhones- the iPod adapter Ferrari used until 2010 used the higher voltage that Apple used on earlier iPods...

I agree to get a PPI and I would have them pay particular attention to the shocks- some people report problems with them leaking.

One other thing- if you get it and decide the stereo sounds terrible and you can't access the EQ by holding down the media button let me know and I will dig up the instructions for enabling the eq. You can tune it to sound pretty OK.

5. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good options IMO. The only wear I could spot was the piping on the drivers seat bolster. This is normal and can be fixed by a good leather doctor. If YOU like the colors, jump on the airline and go see it. If you're excited by what you see, then negotiate, do a PPI, start driving and enjoy! Personally, I think the color combination is very nice (and unique).

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Good options, good appearance in the photos, if you like the car and you can manage to negotiate the price a bit, I would say "take it" after having checked the issues already mentioned.

Tell them that important options are missing, in particular the factory fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, that should make them go down with the price ;) ;) ;).

7. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    #7 Roupin, Nov 25, 2014
    That car looks familiar. It may have been owned by a fellow member.

EDIT: Might have been the user "absent"

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Fast car, feels much smaller then it looks on the open road, makes all the right noises, but IHMO, it feels "stale" if that makes any sense. It feels like a cad designed and built production car. Road noise is rather intrusive, quite a few quailty issues in the interior which can really get under your skin.

It just feels fragile.

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    looks good but priced too high IMO, especially for this time of year.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Beautifully optioned. Will probably sell for $10k less than asking.

11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You would be surprised what spacers + tire change to MPSS and a good alignment would do to alleviate all of these issues. Also a slightly more aggressive suspension setup like HGTE helps too.

These cars are much more "highway" type cars or sporty GT cars than outright sports cars in the vein of the 430 or 458. I could drive my 599 all day long and come out rested - and I've done just that many times!

12. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Beautiful car. Right color combo!! Agreed with MASR04 and others, to much money! If you can't get comprehensive service history on the car, walk away. If you can then negotiate price. Palm Beach High line Auction has had several 07's for 140,000.00 + or -

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    All that cf costs $$$ and looks perfect with the Bordeaux. Offer $140k and someone else is going to snap it up while you're playing hardball.

14. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There are plenty of 599 available - you won't regret paying the price you want b/c there's always the strong possibility that your money saved will be required to fix something with in the first few months of ownership.

I don't care who you are - $20k is a lot of money. Plus, 599's are not through depreciating. Put yourself as close as possible to the rock bottom purchase. This way you feel great as your purchase turns into an investment.

With all that said, less than 8k miles on the lady is a strong point that the dealership has in their favor. Maybe choose something with less than 18k on the clock and you'll even be able to negotiate into the $125 to $135 range!!!

Please, don't think to yourself that you just doubled the mileage - IMHO you're better off with a car that has 15k or more miles on it!

Best wishes and CHEERS

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    $20k doesn't even cover the carbon ceramic brakes on this car. Telling him he'll find a car optioned like this somewhere else for $140k in the next year is bad advice.

16. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Full set of break pads for front and rear can be found on Ebay for $574.31

OEM Rotor is $427.90. Expecting rear to be more and I will over estimate - We can say a set of Rotors would be $2500.

Therefore, $3000 for new brakes all around!

I understand the OEM rotors are not ceramic - but unless you're on the track 3x a year; I'll say you'll be fine. Also, if they wear quicker; then you gotta replace them every 2 years instead of every 3-4 (considering the average mileage).

Ferrari factory prices and optioning is a joke!

Saving money is never bad advice.

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    True! Hey, buy the car at $140k, and pawn the challenge wheels! Get some aftermarket rims for $500 and pawn the nice ones for $5000.

Don't forget to ebay any luggage or tools that may come with it.

18. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I just think he'd be surprised with the result if he played hardball for a bit.

I know I always have when I stuck to my guns and gave it the old college try

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sure, no argument there. But the OP is asking opinions on this car, not a bottom car. A bottom car will have probably pentagram wheels, steel brakes, much less carbon fiber, no shields, etc. Sure, he can save money getting a lesser car. But you're not going to bargain this car down to a bargain price on a car without these options. At that point you're just telling him to buy a car that doesn't have any options because it costs less. Which I agree is true, it would. And waiting, the 599 will indeed depreciate further. Seems to have a bit this year. But this car, this particular car, isn't going to sell for $140k. Well, not unless you do a PPI and find out it needs four shocks, tie rods, ball joints, dash leather, tires, annual, paint correction, oil leak fixed, etc. All of which though are entirely possible. But we don't know that yet.

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    140 is about what you'd get from a wholesaler for this car- maybe 135. Soo-- the guy who is in the business of selling these isn't going to sell at that price. The depreciation on these has slowed quite a bit this year. JMHO.

21. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If the dealership does not accept a offer for $150, then I'm quite confident he could find similar elsewhere.

Your point makes a lot of sense and thanks for taking the time to educate me as I plan to be in this position down the road.

22. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    i think this car needs an aftermarket exhaust as it's pretty quiet in stock form. Depends on what you want. I'd ask specifically about the exhaust. what brand is it? it's it's a full system or just the end exhaust mufflers? it may make a difference on how loud it is...and if there is a drone noise in the cabin when cruising on the highway. drive it if you can....

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I know I must seem really argumentative today, but I think 599 exhaust note is absolutely perfect stock.

24. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Today was a boring at work. Therefore, I welcome some healthy tension this evening while drinking beer with Dad and discussing the possibility of jumping to a different model as partners!

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sean, sorry I was testy yesterday. Rough week. Happy Thanksgiving.