Respraying a 612 | FerrariChat

Respraying a 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by samu, Dec 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samu

samu Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Sachary
    I've finally found a good manual 612 in the correct price range, but the colour is all wrong. It's light blue outside, which just doesn't do it for me.

Is there a thread somewhere on this forum about respraying a 612 or 599? I couldn't fine one. I would like to educate myself well before making the final decision, i.e. purchasing the car and having it resprayed.

Btw. there are only two manual 612s for sale at the moment in Europe, that I'm aware of. The other one is double the price to the one I'm interested in, and it's also not the perfect colour.

Thanks for the tips!

2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    599's & 612's usually don't get re-sprayed unless they're in an accident. Unlike older Ferraris, the paint job is somewhat decent and rusting is minimal. So I doubt you will find many owners who have resprayed to just change the color. This would be a questionable financial decision on a car that's worth a little over $100K, as a decent respray is over $20K.

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I still think someday I may go this route. I wouldn't mind owning a 612 again, an OTO with the right interior, cuoio, diamond stitched, all options. There are only a few very rare colors I love though for the exterior. The practicality argument makes sense, but the simple fact is that it'll be 5% of the original sticker price of the car to make the change, and it will look brand spanking new. You could freshen up all the grounds while you're at it, not sure what else. I met a guy at the last FCA national event that was telling me that all the grounds on these aluminum chassis will eventually need to be redone to mitigate corrosion. But anyway, yeah, for someone who's sure they'll stay in the car a few years, I could see doing it.

4. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Just get the car wrapped.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In round numbers, how much would wrapping something the size of a Scaglietti cost?...T

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Agreed. You can get almost every imaginable finish you want, whilst protecting your original paint job. And wrapping is much cheaper and more durable.

The only thing to remember is that it will only last about 5 years before you must remove it. Then you will either have to choose another wrap or go back to the original paint.

7. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Legitimate question here - why would a 612 cost $20k to respray? Isn't the procedure the same for all cars?

- remove the trim
    - sand / prep the body
    - mask the appropriate areas
    - paint
    - reassemble

Why should this cost $20k, especially as I hear the factory job is not incredible to begin with. If I'm missing something obvious, please enlighten me.

This strikes me as a case of inflation just because "Prancing Horse". I could be wrong though, I have no body shop experience.

8. samu

samu Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Sachary
    Thank you for your comments.

A friend of mine had his 599 wrapped for around 4.500EUR. The result is rather poor. I know there are really good wrappers out there doing incredible job, but I will not go this route, but will have it resprayed instead. In case this deal is closed, that is. 612 is not a car for me, that I would insist keeping original. I'm buying it for myself, modifying it to my liking and going to drive the life out of it on a daily basis on the German Autobahns. I will enjoy it, have it properly serviced and ramp up a big pile of kms. Would love to have the highest mileage 612 out there one day.

I'm asking about the procedure, because of I have never had any of my cars resprayed before. I wonder if there's something special I should know, like if the front lights can be dissembled easily, should I have a full bare-metal respray, any special type of paint to be used etc. These questions and concerns might be really childish, but please bear with me.

My idea is to choose the colour from the Ferrari palette, but just don't know which one to go for. Before I used to think, that the 612 must be Rosso Corsa, but not anymore after seeing two in person. It's a great colour, but suitable for something more sporty. 612 seems to look the best in dark colour, or in silver.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferraris use standard PPG two part (epoxy) paint with a clear coat over the top. Most of the quotes from anybody you would want to paint your Ferrari are in the 5 figure range. Door panels would need to be removed, too, and possibly the doors, hood (bonnet) and trunk (boot) to get paint everywhere you need it. No reason why one color could not be sprayed over another if the paint is in good shape. Might want to chip a little more, but the original can be sanded down to limit thickness.

Ask your local shop for more expert advice.

10. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Well, there are "paint jobs" and total re-paints and $399.95-special-paint-jobs and multiple-hundred-thousand dollar restorations. For a 612, one would expect it to look like a 612, just in a different color. So remove ALL the glass, doors, bonnet, boot and dissemble. However, it will always look like a re-paint if you don't take out the motor and paint the engine bay the new color in the appropriate spots. Sanding and finishing the new paint is another area that could take significant time or be ignored. So to re-paint a 612 so that one could not tell it was re-painted would be outrageously expensive, more than $20K.
    Now, if you bought a Daytona for $250K a decade ago, there is no problem spending $100K on a proper paint job. Unfortunatly, the $300K MSRP 612 is just depreciating. Mileage and options principally determine the value of the car.

But having said all this, I may be too pragmatic for prime-time. I've seen people re-paint a new car pink, add all sorts of aftermarket wheels and turbos and bling and love it. Do whatever you want, whatever makes you feel good and ignore your critics.

11. samu

samu Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Sachary
    Is the underbody and underside of panels satin black in 612? I didn't have an opportunity to check it yet myself.

12. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Sorry to repeat what Terry said. We were typing at the same time.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, black or dark gray, not body color.

14. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Underside is black.

15. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA

Procedure changes when you do a color change. As someone already mentioned, you have to repaint the engine bay, door jambs, remove the windows, doors, door cards, possibly the entire interior, etc. for a proper job. Depending on the OP's desired color, it may just make sense to wait for the right car to come up for sale.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

paint and materials alone could easily be over $2k USD.

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    +1

18. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Thanks for the comments re: cost. There are some factors I didn't take into consideration.

19. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Wrapping a car doesn't have the same effect. There is something beautiful about a well waxed and polished clear coat with metallic flakes underneath.

Unless you are respraying to a rare exotic colour than don't bother. It will cost $10k+ or $20k as mentioned if you do the engine bay, boot etc. I would love to get a 599 GTO and respray in avorio with custom historic livery in the distant future but it would be a hard decision to get a non crashed one and start respraying it.

You also run the risk of the paint shop doing a crappy job anyway. Most resprayed front ends pick up stone chips a lot faster as well for some reason.

20. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It really doesn't seem appropriate on a 612. I can see doing a matte black wrap on a granturismo, or something shiny like gold or silver on a lambo, but a 612 is about elegance. A wrap can't do elegant.

21. samu

samu Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Sachary
    Just a quick update.

The manual 612 I went to see wasn't anything near what the ad said. Bad intuition, didn't feel like a safe buy.

I also testdrove a very nice F1 612 in black with tan interior. The car had only one flaw, and I'm sure you all know what it was. So, I keep hunting.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    One other factor to consider. Here in the USA if you repainted the whole car (modern car not vintage) you are looking at a big reduction in what the vehicle is worth after the paint job. Even if the paint job is better than factory.

So you could spend $20k on a new paint job and then when you go to sell it might mean having to take a $10 or maybe even 20k hit on the sales price.

This is the attitude in America. It might be different in Europe.

If you plan to have the car for a while, maybe its worth finding the car, get it home, drive it a few months and then decide what you think about the color.