BRAKE DISC for 2009 Ferrari 599 | FerrariChat

BRAKE DISC for 2009 Ferrari 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by reading, Dec 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. reading

reading Guest

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi
    I am just wondering if I need to replace the brake discs for 2009 Ferrari 599, does the steel brake for models 2007-2008 fit the 2009 model instead of ceramic brake disc

Thanks a lot for your help

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, they do not. The calipers are completely different.

3. reading

reading Guest

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks a lot for your reply
    Hopefully someone would find a reasonable replacement for cermaric disc brakes that would not costhe 20000$

4. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tax,

Does one have the ability to purchase steel rotors for any year and they fit the caliper?

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sean- There are kits for the V8s, but I have not seen any for the V12s. Might be worth querying Mov'It, since they do make replacement ceramic rotors for the 599. They are as expensive as the originals, but last forever because of a better process. They could probably pump out some steel replacements, but they would be really heavy. Would require new pads, too, since the materials are not compatible from ceramic to steel.

6. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sad news.

Another question: do the 07' 599 have ceramic rotors?

If so, can they be turned to extend life and what's an approx. life span mileage wise for one.

Asking these questions so I know what I am getting into if I am ever fortunate enough to step into one.

7. reading

reading Guest

Apr 3, 2011
    it does not... and even the brake pads... you can get very good brake pads from ebc brakes

8. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    07' 599 = no ceramic rotors???

Have I got that right???

They are steel right?

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    No. 07 the CCM brakes were optional but many were ordered with them. So you can find an 07 with steel brakes but most will be CCM.

10. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Roger that - thanks for the clarification.

Last question: (promise) Can you swap CCM for Steel rotor & they fit the caliper in the 07' Models?

I heard Taz say earlier in the 09' they do not fit the caliper. Is this different for the 07' model?

11. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Bueller?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sean- The optional CCM brakes for the 599 were available from introduction until they became standard around September 2007. Exactly the same brakes until end of production, including the HGTE models, but not the 599 GTO. The GTO came with later generation CCMs.

Steel brakes for the 599 were completely different from the CCM brakes and none of the calipers or rotors are interchangeable.

13. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thank you. But my understanding is that you should never have to change them in a car with less thant 40000 miles and not a tracked vehicle on the regular. Just change pads - so my fear should not limit me from a purchase in the future?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sean- The CCMs will likely outlast you if you stay away from the track.

15. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I believe the master cylinder is also different between the steel and CCM systems. I don't recall for sure but do remember reading something about it a while ago.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Roupin- Yup, they are different.

17. macadoo

macadoo Karting

Jun 17, 2006
    Colorado
    I remember reading a thread somewhere about success with refurbishing CCM brakes. I can't find it now, but it seemed like a very cost effective option. Anyone know more about refurbishing the brakes?

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are threads in the 360/F430 forum about that. Unless a CCM equipped Ferrari is tracked, normally they do not need anything except maybe a pad change halfway through their life.

19. Bilal928S4

Bilal928S4 Karting

Jun 11, 2014
    Hi Taz,
    Just trying to keep up. So what is the lifetime of a CCM rotor if the car is not tracked? You said that the pads need to be changed halfway through their.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ferrari told me a few years ago the rotors are good for 2 sets of pads. After that they strongly encourage owners to replace the rotors. If you inspect the rotors and see they are in good condition you might be able to get on a 3rd set of rotors.

These brakes are really amazing for the street because they have great stopping power and don't produce much if any dust in street driving. On the track you can wear them out quite a bit faster than you might imagine. One thing Ill say though is after the first track day with my 599, the brakes felt so much better. Much easier to modulate.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    B- Too many variables to give you an answer, but they will probably last longer than you keep her. Variables include left foot braking, roads driven, highway vs city, etc, etc. Just like clutches, some folks never wear them out and some are rough on them.

22. Bilal928S4

Bilal928S4 Karting

Jun 11, 2014
    Taz,
    I think a better question would be to compare it with a regular steel disc. How long(er) % wise would it last over a steel disc?

23. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009

Take a look here:

Home - SICOM ceramic brakedisc refurbishment

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    B- Beats me. Have never seen any statistics.

25. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think he said it best knowing my age of 28 and telling me that the rotors will outlast me!

Plus, you can always think that since these cars have no belts you can assume 3 belt changes for every set of rotors. Should balance out in the end & you've got drastically improved stopping power..