Any concern about this 2007 599 GTB? | FerrariChat

Any concern about this 2007 599 GTB?

Discussion in '612/599' started by dshao, Dec 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dshao

dshao Rookie

Nov 29, 2014
    Seattle WA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2007 599 gtb from Ferrari of SF (it'll be my first Ferrari). I requested the service records and inspection report from the dealer. A few area of concerns:
    1. The "inspection" was done May 2013, when the previous owner purchased the car from F of SF. The sales person told me that since the car was just serviced (September 2014) only 100 miles before it was offered for sale, there is no need to do another inspection. When asked if I can just purchased the extended warranty, they told me no. They told me I have to buy the car first, then pay for the certified inspection ($800), and then I can purchased the warranty. And I asked them what if I buy the car, do the inspection and it fails? They then told me they guarantee that it'll pass inspection. The logic makes no sense to me.... If they "guarantee" that it'll pass inspection, why is it necessary for me to pay? Why not certify it before listing it?

2. I went through the service records (they only sent me service records from the current owner from 5/2013 to 9/2014, not sure if they have access to previous owner's service records). What I noticed is that there were electrical issues on multiple occasions... battery dead less only 12 days after the previous owner purchased the car. Battery was replaced (6/2013). Then the display flicked and it was found "battery ground corroded" (7/2013). Then "battery positive terminal loose to post" (8/2013). Then valve cover gasket was replaced due to oil leak. (5/22/2014)

Car is now 19k miles. Do you guys think this is normal for 599? Should I be getting this car? Any help is appreciated!

Here is a link to the service records: http://1drv.ms/1w1HVmf

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I believe with the new extended warranty program from ferrari there is no reason that if you pay for the inspection prior to the purchase probably 500 to 800 that they could not offer the warranty.. THe problem probably exists in one of two places if the dealer does the inspection and you do not buy it they may be responsible to disclose the inspection which could be an issue.. on the other hand if the car is on consignment then the owner may have said no inspections.. interestingly when I placed may car on consignment with FOW they said they would do an inspection prior to accepting the car of course this was a newer car ..
    just my thoughts...It may not be a red flag and a buyers order with it subject to the warranty should resolve the issue....

3. dshao

dshao Rookie

Nov 29, 2014
    Seattle WA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the advice Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Just dicker the price down $800, buy the car, and pay for the inspection.

5. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Tell them you want another PPI or you are passing. There is no shortage of 599's on the market.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree. I can tell you the factory tender for the 599 is pretty weak and it actually doesn't send enough power to the car so if the car sits for two months or more the battery will be depleted. The 599 has a lot of computers on board and I think its a car that really needs to be put on a tender. My guess is this car had a period of sitting and that is causing the electric issues- but- Id get this PPI'ed by someone qualified and someone you pay. The electrical items seem like they are due to the battery issue. Not sure about the valve cover gasket. Again, best to bring in the pros... This will be cheap insurance.

7. dshao

dshao Rookie

Nov 29, 2014
    Seattle WA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the advices! Is there someone in the SF area that you guys recommend to do the PPI? I assume it's better to have a third party doing the PPI rather than F of SF due to conflict of interests. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I heard San Francisco Motorsports is a good shop and that they may do PPIs. I have no experience with them, only that a dealer had recommended them.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  10. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
  11. dshao

dshao Rookie

Nov 29, 2014
    Seattle WA
    Full Name:
    David
    F of SF said no PPI by San Francisco Motorsports because there are conflicts of interests. They said I can have the PPI done with T and R Automotive Center. Anyone dealt with them before?

12. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Excellent shop. You can look Tony up in the Nor Cal section. As for conflict with SF Motorsports it is because former employees of F o SF run that shop which is a great place as well for service.

13. SSFerrari

SSFerrari Rookie

Feb 22, 2014
    dshao -did you end up doing a PPI on this car? Just curious what your experience had been with t&r. And did you end up buying this 599?

14. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    T&R is very good. No affiliation. I had a lot of restoration work done on my 2001 456M GT, and I would use them again.

Tony is a very honest, straight up guy. See NorCal thread subject T&R.

-stu