599 Owners: Are Your Shocks Leaking | FerrariChat

599 Owners: Are Your Shocks Leaking

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Dec 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine are, all four. According to Ferrari of Washington, it's getting common. And they are $24,000 just in parts to replace. Worse, it'll just happen again. I've been working with Delta Vee to give them my car as a guinea pig to engineer a solution, had it all worked out, but we were thrown a curve last Thursday. Delta Vee does the engineering but the manufacturer needs an order of 10 sets to go to production. This was news as the manufacturer was acquired and changed terms on Delta Vee mid course. Has me in a pickle actually. I'm ready to pony up for one set, which will come in at around $8k, estimated. We need several more owners interested and willing to put down a deposit. Check your cars. I'm willing to bet every 599 out there with more than 15k miles has at least a couple leaking. They cannot be rebuilt. If you're not part of the initial ten sets, could be well over an additional year before there's another production run.

2. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    Just got mine back from major service about a month ago. I've got 28.5K miles and was worried about having to replace the shocks after seeing your posts on the issue Bob. But, touch wood, so far, no leaks on any of the 4.

Either that or they are empty at this point! lol

If anything happens to them soon, I'll pitch in however. This is something that needs addressing if it's a problem with all 599s. $24K for shocks every 15K miles will easily price me out of the car.

3. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    This is so mind blowing that it's roughly 1/6 the cost of these cars and it's only shocks.... Something is all out of whack.

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Guess it depends how the car is driven, where, maybe even when, cold or hot? No idea. Glad you're not leaking. Hope it stays that way. Don't wish it on anyone but do hope I find a few more with need.

I have to assume we'll start seeing it in other cars with magnaride over time.

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Is it possible to get the Corvette ZR1 or Caddy CTS V shocks and adapt it? I bet they would be cheaper by 10X

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    are these shocks made by GM?

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just had mine serviced.
    I asked them to specifically look at the suspension, looks like they changed the lower wishbones on the front and other suspension parts but not the shocks, I did not get a list of parts as it was all done under warrantee, thank goodness. I am sure they whould have told me if they had to replace the shocks.

9. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Maybe they leak cause they're not being used. Cars with 3K-15K in 5 years? some things will fail cause not being put to the test. The shocks are meant to work...not sit there in a garage. Drive your cars.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    18k on my car. No leaks so far..... Definitely up there on my worry list.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I intend to. Mine has 16k, and I've seen the original and only prior owner's service records and the car was driven quite consistently, or so it would seem based on the mileages at service. I think this is a pretty reasonable and healthy amount of usage, but I sure hope to drive her more.

Interested on getting on the list? You only have to pony up a deposit if we can find 7-8 more who want to participate.

12. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    What about just installing coil overs and forgoing the magnetic ride?

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is what this whole thread is about.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Do te 612s have the same ones?
    I'd turn mine into a sculptor before I wrote a 24k check for shocks - that's just nuts

15. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Mine weren't leaking when I bought the car, I'll have it checked again in a couple weeks when I take it in to check the fluid levels.

How much does the KW kit go for anyway? I know one of the members here swapped to that kit and was happy at the time.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for reminding me of the KW kit. Given the situation with this pilot program now needing 10 participants to move forward it's good to have that as a viable alternative. Looks from a quick Google search that it's a bit over $8k which is probably the same as this solution would be. The plan with this kit though is to replace with a true active suspension by valving instead of magnetic fluid. I'm still in for the delta vee pilot if we can get enough interest.

17. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Hi Bob,
    I'm accustomed to vintage Ferraris and I tend to do some things myself. I always question dealer pricing.

Looking at the Eurospares site, 599 front and rear shocks are about $1600 each. Part numbers 257058 (front) and 257059 (rear). The 599 GTB uses the same shocks as the 599 GTO. I would look into getting the shocks from them or Maranello Ferrari parts in the UK.
    Please keep us informed with your results.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    612s do not have the same shocks. From the description in an early WSM, I am guessing they are Mannesmann-Sachs shocks like those on the 575M. Bulletproof usually.

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Are you sure the 599 GTB and the 599 GTO use identical shocks?

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    WOW, seriously? If this be the case, I feel a fool for believing my dealer. And shame on them. There's markup, and then there's highway robbery. I guess I'm way too trusting. But I'm perplexed. Delta Vee sees a business model in this, and this is their business. How could they see a business model replacing Ferrari parts at Ferrari prices? Now I'm really confused.

21. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    #21 Zarathustra, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    Eurospares displays the Ferrari parts books for both the 599 GTB & GTO.
    Same shock part's numbers.
    However, your F12 has different shocks (& part's numbers).

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is there more that must be replaced with the shock that might account for at least some of the massive discrepancy between what I was quoted off the cuff by my dealer and what the individual part costs on eurospares? I'm having a hard time swallowing that my dealer would wantonly screw me by 3-400% for not shopping better. Then again, they did try to sell me a Ferrari charger for $400, or a discounted Maser charger for $200, so I bought the top CTEK on Ebay for $80. I guess that says something, just with a few less zeros.

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I am very disappointed that the shocks in these cars cannot be rebuilt. Seals eventually leak and other surfaces wear or need adjusting. I know they are electrically damped but there still has to be a piston and some sort of shim stack. This is basic stuff on motorcycles.

I'm also surprised that the performance oriented GTO uses identical shocks as the GTB. One would think compression and rebound settings would be different enough for them to be valved differently. Perhaps its just a SW change?

If leaks are common and high $ replacement is the only answer then you may be onto something with aftermarket. Will the Delta Vee shocks be rebuildable?

24. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Coil over conversion?

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll ask and report back. Since rebuilding shocks is one of their core business models, my guess is yes but it's only a guess. Will let you know. Also asking how their solution might differ from KW's.