anybody know this 612? | FerrariChat

anybody know this 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by ross, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ross, can you describe what exactly worries you? I didn't read all of the comments; but here's what I know...

This car was for sale on eBay, 08 July 2008, through St. Louis Motorsports, LLC, with 5,800 miles, for $199,900; described as silver with Bordeaux interior.

Then it was for sale at Scottsdale Ferrari, 04 November 2008, 7,262 miles, $157,788; described as Grigio Titanio with Bordeaux interior.

Then I saw it myself, 13 January 2011, in the parking lot of Costa Mesa, CA; silver with Bordeaux leather, red tachometer, aluminum interior trim, shields, modular wheels, red calipers, steel brakes, CA plates (same as the plates shown in the current ad), black plate frame. I made no notes in addition to these details as I didn't find anything wrong or unusual about the car.

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hi carbon,
    well the color is not grigio ingrid, but appears to be argento nurburgring.
    the seats are standard ones and not daytona as they described.
    it has a large center console screen, which was not standard in 2005, so i wonder who put that in and when.
    it says the belts were changed but not when.

these are nitpicks i know, but before i call them, i was just curious as to whether anybody on here knew anything. i am pleasantly surprised that you know as much as you do !!

i also need to get up to speed on the usa pricing. this car in europe may sometimes be offered around this number, but even the OTO versions can be had for the same price, so is this high, low, market, and why?

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Realistically, you can't expect the average Infiniti dealer/salesman to know about Ferraris. I'm sure they did some research - but to Ferraristi, they'll never be knowledgeable enough.

It's my life! I have stopped working so that I may focus, full time, on recording and documenting all Ferraris!

Are you subscribed to the Ferrari Market Letter? You can check not only their Asking Price Index every two weeks, but also look at all of the 612s that are advertised, and get an impression of current US asking prices. Right now, there's only one - a 2009 with the panoramic roof and HGT2 package; it's at FBH and they're asking $179,000.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ross that's not argento - it's too dark. Looks grig titanium to me.
    Price is in line with market here. I'm sure u can get it ten percent lower

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hi. i dont think it is titanio because i have titanio on my 456 and it is more blueish than this one - at least in these pics.

so price is in line. good to know. that must mean that the others that i see on autotrader are equally in line for age and mileage, more/less, and that i could deduct 10pct from each of those. it still means these cars are considerably more expensive than in europe. must not be as many.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Here 456s are 55 to 90. I haven't persoanlly seen a 612 go for less than 80 so far. I'd say 612s are between 80 and 200 for a low mile loaded 09 or 10

As far as color silvers can't be deceiving. the blueish silver is called something else with azurro in it

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ross- Sure looks like Grigio Titanio to me. Definitely not Grigio Ingrid.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Carbon, you are just unbelievable, and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Montclair is not that far from me - I'm gonna try to go later this week and get some pictures and learn more about the car.

What you're thinking of is Grigio Alloy - but this car is definitely not Grigio Alloy (and Azzurro California is light blue, but very clearly light blue). Depending on the light, this car looks either Argento Nürburgring or Grigio Titanio.

Thank you, Paul. I'm just following my destiny. :)

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This car is def not Argento. It's grigio titanio or one of the Maserati grigios.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #12 134282, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, Ross...

I went and saw the 612 today; it's indeed Grigio Titanio and not Ingrid or Nürburgring. Aside from a few minor scratches and paint chips, the car is in relatively nice condition. Some of the interior buttons are sticky and need to be refurbished; the driver's side window button is loose to the point of practically coming off. The electronic mirror adjust works, but when you set it to adjust the passenger's side mirror, it continues to move the driver's side mirror - that needs to be fixed as well.

The car has two keys, a full set of books and tools - though I couldn't find the flashlight (nor could I find the glove compartment button!). All the VIN tags match, and the information in the two warranty cards is also identical.

I started the car and let it run for a few minutes while taking pictures; nothing leaked or dripped (except the a/c).

The car has an aftermarket head unit with a touch screen - Alpine, apparently high end - and it's also integrated with an Alpine rear parking camera. I sat with the GM and he has the original dash piece, so the car can be made stock again if the next owner chooses; however, it, too, requires refurbishing as it's stickier than the pages of a Playboy that's stashed under the mattress of an all-boys boarding school.

The exhaust is aftermarket, though I don't know the type; the GM said he also has the original exhaust.

The Infiniti dealer is located in an autoplex with various other dealerships; the Infiniti dealer was right next to a Nissan dealer - this 612 was apparently traded in at the Nissan dealer for a GT-R, and the Nissan dealer is having the Infiniti dealer market it.

These pictures are 20% of their actual resolution - so if you want to see something in its original size, or you want me to zoom in on something, just let me know. Also, I have recent service records - e-mail me ([email protected]) and I'll send them to you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Wow Carbon! Great write up on this car. Really helpful for anyone considering it. Seems like the usual stuff that goes wrong with 612's like the window switch, and the classic "Sticky button " issue that plagues all Ferraris. I know who to ask if I need a car evaluated in that part of California.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's a pretty nice looking 612-- thanks for writing it up, Carbon!

I think the "open" button on the center console should open the glove compartment-- if not, something's not working.

Also, it looks like it's missing the cover for the lower trunk compartment, and maybe the cover on the side for the battery shutoff (and integrated charger plug, if it has one)?

Also, what's up with the condition of the VIN stickers in the door jamb? Is that normal?

All in all, looks like a pretty nice car.

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    holy **** carbon! that is an unbelievable set of pics and write up. thanks a bunch!

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Don, I think it is pretty normal. Mine was in such bad condition that I removed the plastic piece and now you can barely read the info.

And Carbon, two of the interior pics were overexposed, try to do a better job next time! ;)

17. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Great job, Carbon.

Looks like it has dark lights on it - if so, check to see if originals are available or not (they may have tinted the originals).

Window switch replacement is very expensive.

Looks like it has the optional blue tooth phone option. On later models, the phone interface is on the Becker stereo unit, then went to the steering wheel with the Bose entertainment system. I believe it then relocated again on the OTO cars.

18. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A lot of car for $80k! Looks pretty good. Good luck with the buy!

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I do more than just California - if you pay me. :)

Damnit, I saw that button and thought it was for something else so I didn't bother to press it. Live and learn.
    Unfortunately, yes. In 2005, Ferrari switched the V12 line over from the metal data plates to the stickers you see now; they're cheaper to make, I suppose. Ferrari stayed with the metal data plates on the V8 line through the end of 430 production. Perhaps most people don't really care, but the stickers piss me off because once they start to wear out, the car's date of production becomes illegible.

My pleasure. If you want the service records, or the GM's contact information, just let me know.

That's actually sound advice, thank you. I had the flash on for most of the images; combined with sunlight, lack of sunlight, and different angles, I imagine collection of images gives the interior a false gradient of Bordeaux.

The lights are original, just tinted.
    Really? Ouch. It's just a cheap, plastic piece. When I rolled the window down, it was fine. It wasn't until I tried to roll it back up that I realized the switch was loose - so loose in fact that the window didn't go up at first. I had to sheath the switch back onto the control before being able to roll up the window.

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so what does it cost to replace that window switch?