2006 612 Emissions Sensors | FerrariChat

2006 612 Emissions Sensors

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrari Monkey, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    So, have had this car for 2 weeks now. Took it to get the emissions sticker so I could get it registered in Texas about 5 days after I got it, and the guy said the Evaporative Status and the Secondary Air Status sensors were not ready as per the computer. He said drive it around and try again. I guess it had been sitting for a while. I drove it about 100 miles this past weekend on the highway, as well as side streets and such. Took it back this morning, and the same two sensors are still not ready. I called the service department at Scottsdale Ferrari to see if I could speed this thing up, and they said for the Evaporative Status, that I need to make sure the gas tank is about 50% and drive it on the highway at a constant speed for about 20 minutes or so. They said for the Secondary Air Status, it needs to be started from a cold start and let it idle for about 5 minutes - and this needed to be done a few times. They said that the car would pass as long as only 1 of these things was not ready.

Now, I have to get this thing to pass the emissions checks so I can get it registered in Texas - and as it is, they will probably charge me a penalty since it has been over 30 days since I bought the car and it still is not registered. Is what the service department said correct as far as you guys know? Is there anything I can do to speed this up? Is there a way for me to check the readiness of these codes before I head down to the emissions place next time?

On a separate note, I love driving this car. I haven't even had the radio on yet, so I can hear the engine :)

Thanks in advance.

2. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    So, found a thread about readiness for emissions testing - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/251087-360-failed-emissions-does-anyone-have-drive-cycle.html. This thread is about readiness drive cycle for circa 2000 360s and such. It sounds like a pretty complicated way to pass an emissions test. Have any 612 owners had issues passing the emissions test, or have had to do any special things to get the computer ready (like a readiness drive cycle), or does it just take a few hundred miles of driving? Thanks.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That drive cycle is for Motronic 7.3 and early 7.1.1 Ferraris and not necessary for the Motronic 7.3.2 in your 612. Here is one I put together based on the cycle in the 612 workshop manual and several other WSMs.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required.

4. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I've had similar problems. just keep driving it.

5. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    I'll try the run cycle, and will also drive it this weekend. Thanks.

6. Ferocity

Ferocity Rookie

Jan 14, 2012
    Not sure if my reply is too late but I wanted to say it takes more than some length of time of engine operation; it needs to cycle from warm to cold and back to warm and then to cold (for some number of cycles). It took a number of days. Seemed like black magic to me.

I believe your sensors' status comes from either being recently been reset (i.e. it had a fault code and someone had just recently reset it using an OBDC tool) or the battery had been recently disconnected. I've experienced both these situations causing the problem you are having.

I had some trouble passing my emissions test a year and a half ago. Replacing both MAFs did the trick. It was a tricky and an expensive diagnosis.

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    "they will probably charge me a penalty since it has been over 30 days since I bought the car and it still is not registered."

What!!?? that is the first time I hear a state would do this!

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nope, they do it is NM and most states.

9. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    I thought that I had posted what had happened, but maybe I didn't hit the post button or whatever because I don't see my post. Anyways, I ran the cycle, and drove the car a bunch. I plugged in the OBD tester and the sensors were all good. Took it to the test center, and it still said one sensor was not ready (maybe because the car was cold), but in TX it passed with one sensor not ready. Yeah! But now we have cold wet weather, so it sits in the garage charging. Maybe this weekend. Thank you everyone for your help.

In regards to the penalty, what a bunch of B.S.!!!! They won't let you register the car if it doesn't pass inspection, but then they penalize you for not registering it. It took me about 3 weeks to get the car after I bought it in the first place due to travel and other such stuff, and because it had to be shipped to me. This seems like a scam on the state's part - penalizing you for something that they will not allow you to do. Typical government fraud. It's not like I sit home all day and do nothing but play with the car. So the penalty was 10% of the tax, but the out of state title lady at Scottsdale Ferrari talked them down to 5%. She said that because the car was not ready to pass emissions, it was their fault and she would see if they would pick up the bill. Nice of her to do so. Still waiting for plates. My temps expire on the 25th. We shall see.