CTek Charger Failure | FerrariChat

CTek Charger Failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by donv, Dec 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My CTek charger seems to have failed. My battery is relatively new (about a year old), and has given me no problems.

I hadn't driven the car in a few weeks, came out this morning and it was completely dead. The CTek was plugged in (as usual), and has no lights on whatsoever, even though it has power going into it.

Right now, I have the battery on my 10/2 charger, and it does seem to be taking a charge. I'll probably be getting a higher end CTek (the 7002 seems to be well recommended).

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just bought the 7002 myself. Seems like a quality item is all I can add.

3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I might have been too quick in blaming the CTek. After getting the battery more or less charged using my big charger, I drove the car gently for half an hour or so, then plugged in the CTek, and the lights lit up as normal. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Which model CTek failed?

The Ferrari one that came with my 599 died while plugged in to the car and outlet for about 6 weeks a few years ago. It turns out the factory tender only puts out something like 0.7A while the car wants a little bit more. I was able to rejuice the battery with a 7002 and haven't gone back since. That battery even lasted me a few more years. The 7002 does a great job.

5. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Does the 7002 plug into the built in connector or does it require any sort of modification?

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Uses the built in connector. Came with a number of other dongles as well.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mine was the one which came with the car. I'm starting to think that the power to the charger went out (it was plugged into a plug strip, and the plug strip might have been shut off), and that is what drained the battery over a week or so.

So far, it's been fine again.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I have had two Ferrari c-tek tenders die with my 612 - discovered the latest just yesterday. All lights on charger are out, and it was cold. Luckily battery wasn't dead and car was able to start. Original one completely discharged the battery over a few days to a week. Back then: took out battery, recharged battery, tested battery, replaced Ferrai c-tek tender, and it had been good ever since, well, until yesterday... This time I will get a better c-tek tender and splice the Ferrari connector onto it. Someone in the 430 section figured out the pin connections and source of the "Ferrari" connector years ago (at least some 430s had the same connector as the 612).

9. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    Can you confirm it comes with the connector to connect directly to the plug in the trunk? I thought that plug was proprietary. BTW. Congratulations on your 15,000th post.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my oem 612 tender died this month after 5 years

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and yes im prett sure bradan did the splice for me with the new ctek

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Assuming the 430 operates the same (stated for liability purposes) as the 612, in this post: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141102598-post12.html you can see where to order the connector and how to connect it to a standard c-tek battery tender, so that it maintains the no-start with tender connected feature! Read further posts in the thread by the poster for additional details. That is the route I plan to take when I get back in town.

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know, I think that's exactly what happened to Clark Griswold when he set up his Christmas lights! :D

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #14 ar4me, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After my 2nd Ferrari charger died I bought the parts shown in the picture below from Mouser, studied the link above and the existing Ferrari connector, and mated the plug from Mouser that fits the stock 612 tender port in the trunk to a stripped tail of a standard Ctek tender. It works and retains the factory functionality - you can hear the relay click when the tender is connected.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    Does anyone here know the pin-outs for the std 612 connector in the trunk?

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My battery died again. I think my CTek is bad.

17. vino1620

vino1620 Karting

Apr 15, 2008
    Encino. Calif
    Full Name:
    Neil I Afromsky
    Just a quick note...don't leave the charger plugged in and just through it in the car to take with you! UNPLUG THE CHARGER AT THE TRUNK CONNECTOR!

Makuono likes this.
  18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Pin out in link above (for 430) worked for me when I did it last night - Ctek charger to 612 stock trunk connector. But, just verify against your stock tender plug...

19. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Power spikes, outages will mess up the OEM CTEK very easily. It may look like it's charging, but it's actually draining the battery. I had the same thing happen, hope I'm wrong, but if you have a dead battery again it's time to invest in a new one!

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well here's my experience.

Last week I found the battery totally dead. It had been charged a week earlier. I had disconnected the Ctek from the ac power at that time, but did not disconnect the unit from the car. Evidently this is what drained the battery because I have recently gone as long as 3 weeks without the car being on the Ctek and the battery was fine.

When I connected the Ctek, the usual light did not go on so I thought maybe the tender was bad. I since charged the battery and then connected the Ctek and the light went on as usual. Apparently it will not light if the battery is drained.

Also I have to believe as Vino1620 states that it is not good to leave the Ctek connected to the car if it is not plugged in to ac current. I regularly have gone a week without it being on the tender and the battery is fine, but the tender was never connected to the car.

I just hope I don't have donv's experience with the battery dying again. I am going to keep the Ctek on full time now and keep an eye on it.

21. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The OEM CTek is simply not powerful enough to keep up with the 599's needs.

I doubt the tender will draw power itself to kill your battery- its the car's electronics. The car doesn't just guzzle dino juice--- it guzzles electrons too!

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    FWIW, I've checked the current on my original Ferrari CTEK (800) charger as well as on my CTEK 7002 charger using an inline amp meter.

With my Cali30, both units will drop to 0.04 Amp steady current within 5 minutes of being hooked up. I recall it starts off at about 0.20 Amp as it analyzes the state of the battery and then drops off after about a minute or two once the charger switches to pulse charging my (already full) battery.

So with 110-120V AC current, that's equivalent to about a 5W LED bulb running 24/7. The current may blip during a pulse but it's very brief and likely of negligible difference.

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting... all I know is my 599 ate one of these and at the time the head tech at my dealer said the car will sometimes pull over 1 amp and he was puzzled at why they would use a tender that could only do 0.8A.... I should have taken my meter to it too! Just too lazy I guess.

24. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    CTEKS have been a problem for years, huge numbers fail on all types of cars

25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Please elaborate. I'm not aware of that.