GPS Car Locator in Case of Theft. | FerrariChat

GPS Car Locator in Case of Theft.

Discussion in '612/599' started by imcarnuts, Dec 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I am looking for a GPS tracking device in case of theft. I have them in our trucks in my business. Inexpensive & very accurate. In real time it let's me know every move the vehicle makes. The problem is I think any professional thief would know to disconnect. Is there anything that can really be hidden so a thief couldn't find? Has anybody installed anything like this?

2. khazraji

khazraji Rookie

Nov 14, 2013
    Never came across anything like that.
    and really intrested in knowing the kind of thing you have installed on you trucks, can use it in my business

3. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    We use FleetLocate. fleetlocate.com There are many others that do this also. FleetLocate is tied to Verizon somehow. Go to the Verizon Store. 29.95/vehicle/month.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If the thief loads your car into a covered (and shielded) trailer, a GPS signal won't be able to get through.

Perhaps someone will come up with better system using inertial sensors and some method of signal transmission that can penetrate a shielded enclosure.

5. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    www.spyspot.com

They have GPS trackers that run on batteries....Pain in the ass to keep replacing batteries...but better than a pro finding the hardwired types...can mount anywhere...

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Airbox, behind wheel panels, inside seats, under skidplates. The trick is to make your car a hard target by layering protection.

Give a business address to the DMV and insurance. This will thwart the 'specific target thief'.
    Remove fuel pump fuses when leaving the car for long periods. im sure the 599 has a bunch of things that are required to get it running. Find one or two that are easy to disable and remove/unhook.
    Obviously hide keys in a locked location.
    GPS /Wifi based tracker installed by you in one of the above listed locations.
    Fortify your garage.
    Insure it properly.
    Get a dog and leave the garage / house door open.
    Gated /guarded HOA.

The trick is to make it as hard for the thief. They will want the lowest hanging fruit. I use 7 of the above on my Testarossa.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Would you really want it back if it were stolen?

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The satellite tracking in case of theft is somewhat flawed because it can be thwarted pretty easily. Drive through a tunnel or into a parking garage with navigation and see what I mean.

This is why lojack uses or at least used to use radio signals cant remember if it was am or fm or what but this was because the signal could penetrate a shipping container, cement walls of parking structure etc...

I will say this... most of the people who steal cars.... are not that intelligent. And a satellite tracker or gps tracker would have a decent chance of helping find the car because most car thief's are not Memphis Raines.

Its typically these days a crime of opportunity not a targeted time. So registering the car to the business and not the home doesn't do much. The car drives down the street and people see it. They know where it lives. The theft usually will occur when you hand they keys to someone like a valet a car wash (had that one) etc... then you have your carjackings (personal experience with that topic)... Most thwarted or attempted car thefts are really meth heads and the like breaking your window to steal your forgotten iphone or your dig through your car. I had a nice young thief dig through my car and found a random check book in my car that I had NO idea was there and they wrote checks to themselves! Super smart people.

Car theft is actually down from my understanding and really far down on modern cars. Most of the cars that are stolen to my understanding are cars that don't have key immobilizers such as cars from the mid 90s and below.

Hell on classic cars I just leave the doors unlocked typically. Most of these vagrants just want whatever is on your seat or floor board... some want the stereo... and a locked door will not stop them. They will do more damage to the car if you lock the doors than if it just opens up. Some of these window frames and door handles or door skins are absolutely impossible to get. (plus Im never in too questionable of an area in these cars and Im never away from the car for probably more than 45 min tops)

I am not an authority on this matter. Having been a victim of it a few times I keep an eye on it from time to time and read a few articles. Im sure some of the former law enforcement on here can chime in and say if Im right or wrong or just add to the convo

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right- I was going to suggest Lojack. Though I think any system can be defeated if those intending to steal your property are resourceful enough. :(

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The 599 GTB has Navtrak fitted as standard does not your GTO have this?

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Grant- Only in the UK and possibly Europe.

Big thing to watch for is those GPS locators can really eat up your battery in a hurry if hard wired. The battery powered ones may be a pain, but may be the way to go unless yours is hooked to a battery tender all the time she is not in use.

12. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This might sound crazy but maybe figure out a way to use a smartphone, like an iPhone, give it its own account and keep it hidden in the car somewhere where you can make sure its always charged up. If the car were stolen you would just have to track the phone. I'm sure there are issues with this idea but its just what comes to mind.

14. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    ^Now that's an idea and quite possibly cheaper than most other alternatives. No wires either.

15. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    No affiliation but I have heard of this. Not sure how well it would work with a car: Tileapp.com

jem890 likes this.