how many of you have clear bra's on your 599? | FerrariChat

how many of you have clear bra's on your 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by speedsterr, Dec 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    Deciding if this is worth it. Wondering how many people actually do this though?

2. edeo

edeo Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    I'd say don't put it on the hood. 26,000 miles and no chips. I have it on the bumper and headlight covers only on my 599. I didn't have it on my 550 bumper and I had many chips in the paint; however, I suppose it's very likely the newer cars have better paint.
    My biggest problem is with the lower edge of the bumper and curbs & parking stops.
    Ed

3. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Have it all on front and on both fenders, front of mirrors and both sides of lower valences. No chips anywhere. Saw one car before I bought this one, had a chip just above the bra on the hood, just ruined the otherwise perfect paint job. Most with no bra on front have chips and have or will need repaint. One can see the film in some light, so not the greatest for factory finish, but to me worth it for resale. Film is available now to do complete hood so no line showing.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My '07 came to me this year from the original owner with the original clear bra which does need replacing. So +1 for not needing it on the entire hood. My hood is perfect, doesn't look like it's ever taken a hit. I'll definitely keep it on the nose though.

5. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    I have Xpel on both my Fcars..... worth EVERY penny.

6. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    +599

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Depends where you live. The front of the hood is really low. It will take hits if you live where there are a lot of road debris, pebbles, etc. I've seen cars where the hood, especially below the hood vents has much damage.

8. speedsterr

Sep 14, 2013
    The roads in my area are not really bad at all. In 3 years I have gotten a rock chip knock on wood.

9. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    I was not wild about my 2007 having it already either when I bought it this past summer but the one on mine only comes about 25% up the hood so it is not as noticeable. But it does the job, no chips and looks good.

10. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Definitely worth it!

11. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I covered my entire hood.... no seams. I went on one Ferrari drive behind my friends 330 GTC and it kicked up so many rocks I had to paint the hood and I went ahead and repainted the front bumper. The bumper, leading edges of the fenders and the hood are covered, as well as the headlights.

I drive my 599, 33,000 miles, so the extra protection helps...

12. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    #12 cmparrenzo, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A pic with the clear bra...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    #13 cmparrenzo, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. aznflightfreak23

Apr 16, 2012
    Clearbra is a must. Better safe than sorry. I've hit a tire on the freeway with my 599 and 458.

15. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I have it on my car from the previous owner, but am not too crazy about it. It's starting to fade a tiny bit but I'm paranoid that removing to replace it may pull the clear coat off the car too. Have read too many horror stories...so I'm stuck in a limbo.

16. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Never say never but it is rare that it would pull off paint (yes, I have seen it happen, but it was caused by a poor paint job more than the clear bra itself). take it to a shop that installs it to have it removed...

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very handsome 599!

If you go with a top installer for this stuff, the odds of removing the clear protectant are very low- but not zero.

18. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    more a philosophic question in my view. Bra takes away a little bit of beauty, specially on metallic colours, but you need a repaint after a few ten thousend miles. So it really is a matter of taste. On the other hand..., I like if you see that the car is being used and not stored.

19. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I had it put on mine after having to repaint the front bumper.

20. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nope. I just do not get close enough to anyone to worry about it. On the other hand, I avoid sand storms as well.

21. speedsterr

Sep 14, 2013
    Post more pics of your car please.

22. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I have it. Xpel Ultimate.

23. speedsterr

Sep 14, 2013
    Anyone have clear bra on a car they DD?

24. Jlnike

Jlnike Rookie

Dec 27, 2014
    Ajyii have you thought about selling your 599 again, I saw a few months ago you posted on thinking about it, for some reason I can't contact you on the forums but let me know. Happy holidays

25. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I don't have it. There is no problem on the front. But in front of the rear tires I'm getting chips.