My 612 Made The Centerfold | FerrariChat

My 612 Made The Centerfold

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Dec 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 Piper, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...of the latest edition of Prancing Horse :) This was taken by a chase car during a lunchtime touring session at Summit Point during the FCA National Meet last summer. Really missing my 612. Should have kept it along side the 599.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Congrats, Bob.

Looks like you had a fun time.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Time for that OTO.

Great photo.

4. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Agreed...great shot!

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll be honest with you, Terry, in the few months that I had both I came to appreciate having a different driving experience depending which car I was in. If I found the right pre-OTO car, which would be near impossible but if it comes up, I wouldn't care that it lacked the F1-S. And I could really care less about the glass roof or manettino. Nice to have I suppose but don't move the needle for me. My dream 612 would be rubino or fiorano with diamond stitched cuoio interior. I had neither in my 612, blue over tan. It was a great car, just wasn't "the" 612 for me. My 599 on the other hand is "the" 599 for me. My wife laughs when I tell her I'm never trading her, but I think there's a good chance she'll be in my garage for many years.

Maybe you could clue me in on something though. It seems like during the OTO years, you see lots of diamond stitching which is my preference. Was it just not available 2004-early 2008? I haven't paid careful attention but generally it seems to be the case.

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Bob,

One of the cars I looked at (listed in Chicago) was a late '07 (Gen 1) with the optional ceiling diamond stitching. The car also had the Bose entertainment system. Not sure if it was available on the seats for that model year.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Jan started hitting me when I said I would never trade a car, so I quit saying it. 40 years of marriage have taught her, but I do not intend to trade the one I have now.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good sign anyway. There's probably one perfect 612 out there for me somewhere.

;)

9. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Cool picture -- I am with you Bob, looking forward to adding a 599 once the prices drop a little more. Is the 599 much sportier? How about comfort of seats for longer journeys as compared to the 612? Just put 400 miles on my Scag (Chattanooga to Asheville) and the car didn't miss a beat, plus for a "sports" car, the level of comfort is incredible for long trips

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sure it's sportier but the 612 was enough car for me to be honest. It's more comfy, yes. And the interior is a bit better put together. But it was the color of the 599 I had to have, Bordeaux over cuoio. It was the colors. If I'd had the same colors in a 612 I wouldn't have changed.

11. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I was wondering if that was your 612. The plate was convincing but I kept forgetting to ask.
    Beautiful (former) car! Especially to me since I really like navy blue.

12. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Sweet! That was a good looking car. Saw it in person at FoW when it was for sale... honestly only the third or fourth 612 I'd ever seen in person.

Your 599 looks awesome, btw... definitely scored well on that one.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #13 Piper, Dec 15, 2014
    Yeah, funny that blue is growing on me more now...haha. My daily driver Cayenne TTS is an almost identical exterior color, but it has the cuoio, or porsche's version of cuoio, for an interior. I'm super happy with her and intend to drive her til the wheels fall off. Makes dropping the 612 seem a wee bit silly. But that 599 popped up at FoD and I had to have her.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, man, on both counts.

15. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    When I was 14 my dad decided to buy a new Cadillac, and since I've always been a car nut he let me spec it out just to please me. Ended up with a navy blue over beige leather car. It was a huge deal for me getting to decide back then and I absolutely adored that car for a very long time.
    Navy blue always reminds me of that car and I always try to have one navy car in the garage now.

16. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Missing my 612 too *sniff*

The market for 612's here has really dried up and there's very few examples out there now.

17. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #17 Schestc2, Dec 16, 2014
    I know what you mean, colour makes the whole difference on a 612.....

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ;)

Lucky guy.

19. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    #19 licodix, Dec 18, 2014
  20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Look at that profile and someone explain to me please why many think the 612 is bloated? I've never understood that opinion. All I see is sleek and elegant.

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Very cool Bob!!!

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    612 is a great looking car. Its not not so visually extreme as other models and I think there are some who are just more limited in their take on these things.

Congratulations on the centerfold and the 599. We all have our car regrets...

23. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #23 m5shiv, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    My 612 was in the shop last week, and the shop owner told me that he was quite surprised as to how many people commented on the car. But more surprisingly, many asked if it was a new Ferrari that was just released. This car is just not aging at all IMHO.

In other news, I met the designer, Ken Okuyama last night. He shared with me that he had a very bad slipped disk at the time, and couldn't push through a lot of the things he wanted into production because of his illness.

He also said the car was always meant to wear 20 inch wheels but Ferrari was reluctant to use big wheels.

He also signed a few of the pages of my 612 book !

24. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #24 m5shiv, Dec 18, 2014
  25. sitz

sitz Rookie

Apr 6, 2009
    #25 sitz, Dec 18, 2014
    Agreed color making a big difference. I'm a huge fan of blue cars and almost bought Piper's 612. Went with Avio Metallic instead...