Looking for a 612 | FerrariChat

Looking for a 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by ferry430, Dec 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    @ all

I am new on this forum and I would like to ask for your help.
    I don`t own a Ferrari yet, but
    I am looking for a 612.

I´ve been reading a lot in this forum, but could not get the answers.

Are there big differences between a 2004 or a 2006 612 model?

Would you go for the newer model (2006) or take the 2004 (I would prefer the color)
    Both have F1 transmission, low mileage and are serviced by ferrari dealers.
    Accidentfree ...

Thx a lot and looking forward for your input

Andreas

2. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Just my opinion, but unless you are talking older/classic ferraris, newer is better.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This was info I got from Taz in another similar thread:
    Hope this helps.

4. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thx Adam,

helpfull information for my decision

Andreas

5. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Though newer is better typically holds true for modern cars, I'd recommend buying the best maintained/lowest mileage example within your budget. I'd rather have a mint '04 than a mediocre '08, but that's me. Also, it may be harder to find your desired color/option combo in later cars, as 612 production numbers declined with each production year if my memory serves correctly.

6. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Andrew...that's a fair and true statement...newer is typically better, but I went with a slightly older model as well that was basically new. Bought my 06 612 two years ago and it only had 1800 miles at the time

It's been said many times on here...comes down to personal choice...and your budget.

7. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I've owned a 2004 612 and it's been flawless. Only had to look after general wear and tear. I did buy it from an approved dealer though, so naturally it went through the Ferrari checkplan.

I think as long as it has been well maintained any bugs in the system should have worked it's way out. Ferrari regularly perform campaigns during the lifecycle of a car, so it's important that a used vehicle has had these applied. They generally deal with software or cable/clip upgrades.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There was a recall on F1 transmission cars from Generation 1 612 Ferraris.

Make sure it was taken care of.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
  10. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  11. 330 Spyder

330 Spyder Rookie

Mar 10, 2012
    Nashville, TN area
    Full Name:
    330 Spyder
    I thought it was the best value I have seen also - It lives in my garage now. It is a beautiful car that can really motor. The Grigio Ingrid over black with contrasting stitching is an understated knock-out look for the car. It is like new except for some minor paint chips on the front bumper. Effortless drive from Plano, TX to Nashville, TN over the weekend. Low point - meth head zombie attention at a Shell station in Texarkana. High point - finding a Passport Max 2 at Best Buy in Texarkana as I had left my Valentine in my business car. Fastest Dallas to Nashville time ever. Amazing car.

12. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    link does not include a 612...obviously due to the sale above.

Curious. What was their asking price and miles?

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats on the new Scag. It's a great looking car. Apologies also for the zombie attention in Texarkana; as a Texan, I will assume you were on the Arkansas side of the border. ;)
    Seriously though, best of luck with the car…T

14. 330 Spyder

330 Spyder Rookie

Mar 10, 2012
    Nashville, TN area
    Full Name:
    330 Spyder
    Asking price was $89.2K with 18.3K miles. I didn't pay that much. I had been feeling rather sad about the old cars going up in price and realized that I would just have to move into an under appreciated newer machine. Its a lot of speed for cheap and it even looks right next to my old (2) Ferraris. And I don't have to fix rust, paint it, source unobtanium parts (yet). It doesn't even need service for another year. I almost bought a 575M last year but hesitated because I still have two kids at home that like to go to events. The 612 fit the bill and prices kept dropping...

tomc - Zombies were on the TX side but I think they did have Arkansas plates. I've spent 10 years living/working in TX and they didn't look familiar. No hats.

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Don't be sad about moving into your unappreciated newer machine. Laugh heartily all the way to the bank that you're driving that baby for under $90k. They're amazing and beautiful cars.

16. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Im selling mine here on the adds.

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  18. 330 Spyder

330 Spyder Rookie

Mar 10, 2012
    Nashville, TN area
    Full Name:
    330 Spyder
    Actually, I haven't felt any sadness of any kind since buying the 612. If you shop carefully you can build quite an arsenal of modern Ferraris for not much money. See - I'm working on a new outlook. Should have bought a Daytona though. And a BB. And…

Starting to study 599s now. My garage may look like yours.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I only had two Fcars at once for a very short time this last year. But I'm with you, it's a great time to be into Ferrari's. My problem, besides needing to win a big contract to feed by habit, is garage space. But it does seem perfectly plausible to add a 360, a Cali, watch for those unicorns and when I find them, never let go. And I'd love to have another 612 if my unicorn ever turned up. They really aren't that expensive these days. I'd rather have a selection than one supercar.

Or a collection plus a supercar.

Or a collection of supercars.

Sigh....

But for now I'm just pining for the return of my 599 from service and an end to the cold. One is enough. More the merrier, but I love my 599.

20. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Congratulations. Any pictures?

Gr. Martin