599 GTO, under the hood | FerrariChat

599 GTO, under the hood

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #1 glob1971, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all,

We usually see the interior and exterior of the 599 GTO, but never the engine under the carbon/metal cover. I went through a major cleaning in the past weeks, it is unbelievable how it dusty and dirty engine was under the cover after 5000 km only. If you are interested (would have been happy to have some when i bought mine) here are the photos. First photo is previous stage, others were made today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very nice, thanks.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It looks great, quite a lot different than a GTB !

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Grant- Even more different down below. Instead of 2 x 3-1 headers on each side and 6 cats total, the GTO is 6-1 with two cats total and much freer flow. Explains the difference in sound.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Can you describe the cleaning process? There are a lot of electrical components under the covers. Thanks.

6. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #6 glob1971, Dec 29, 2014
  7. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thx for the look behind the curtain ;-)

Andrew

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#8 Cribbj, Dec 30, 2014
    Being a fellow V12 owner (550) and also somewhat technically minded and very curious :) I wonder if you could explain what those gizmo's are up near the front of the right hand cam cover, outlined in the square #1? They look as though they might be relay boxes or fuses?

And what purpose does that access door serve, outlined in rectangle #3? According to the parts diagram on Ricambi's site, there's really nothing much behind there to service. I suppose you could have a peek inside and see how clogged the A/C condenser & radiator are, but that's about all?

I was also going to ask about the tank in circle #2, as it looked as though it might be an air/oil separator for blowby, but I couldn't figure out why it had a cap. Then I realised it's your power steering reservoir :)

Thanks for the look!

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I like the after pictures. Would you be so kind as to reveal how you were able to get all those different types of surfaces clean and do you recommend owners to perform this on theirs? Thanks.

10. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #10 glob1971, Dec 30, 2014
    Hello,

First to Cribbj, here are the answers:

1) Those two units are fuse boxes.
    2) This is unit for the power steering liquid.
    3) “Door” to access the cooling unit, not sure what it is made for.

Now to Solid State, well I was worried to use chemical products and damage something – I used very basic products such as

1) Wet wipes (few boxes…)
    2) Vinegar, great for limescale (those white lines above the radiator)
    3) Water
    4) Swisswax product for gums.
    5) brushes and microfiber clothes.
    4) And over 30 hours of detailed work.

If any interest, here is also what is under the feet – very interesting and definitely hand made. BTW I was told by my Ferrari technician this is where to look to see if a car was crashed or not.

Thanks!

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thanks. There's no magic bullet. That's a lot of tedious work and you did a great job.

12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Interesting about those fuse boxes being in the engine compartment and up near the radiator - I wonder if Ferrari finally decided to move the fuses and relays for the Efans out of the main fuse box in the right hand footwell? Would it be possible to know which fuses and/or relays are in those boxes?

That foot area is interesting also. Apparently Italian craftsmanship is still alive and well in the 21st century :)

13. Luigient

Luigient Rookie

Oct 7, 2008
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Lloyd
    #13 Luigient, Dec 31, 2014
  14. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Interesting but is it to empty the liquid cooling system ? BTW very nice condition, did you ever cleaned under the hood or this is original condition ? Mine was so dusty and dirty I am wondering why ? Thanks.

15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks Lloyd! I'm hoping those are the relays and fuses for the electric fans?

After decades of overheating issues with main fuseboards due to these heavy current circuits, perhaps Ferrari finally saw the light and moved them off the main fuseboard up to an area where they'd be nearer the actual load (smart). Wonder what the 3rd relay is for? Lighting perhaps?

On the access door, I would think that pulling the air duct (nourice) in front of the radiator wouldn't be "that" difficult, so I wonder what they were trying to accomplish with that little access door? Unless, like some 60's British cars that I used to be familiar with, they were expecting leaks at that connection to the A/C condenser, so they thoughtfully provided an access door to it. (A motoring journalist once quipped that Lotus cars: ".......should be equipped with a net under the car as standard equipment to catch all the parts that fall off in normal service!")

Perhaps this is the real reason why Ferraris have undercovers? :)

16. Luigient

Luigient Rookie

Oct 7, 2008
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Lloyd
    Thanks. There was a little dust/dirt, just a quick wipe over with a damp cloth got it looking as it does. The car only has 4800km on it.

17. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #17 glob1971, Jan 1, 2015
    Very nice condition, well maintained - for you to know, another GTB fuse box i saw at 25.000 KM. OK 20.000 KM more, but still :) All this shows we need to maintain not only about the visible part of the engine, but also under the metallic/carbon cover.

18. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    my detailer takes care of everything... you guys are quite handy.