Fuel smell | FerrariChat

Fuel smell

Discussion in '612/599' started by Amore, Dec 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi, i want to ask iam smelling a fuel while driving my 612 !! any help what could be the reason?

thanks in advanced

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are several leak points including roll-over valves, fuel pump caps, fuel filler hose, etc. Best to have a pro diagnose the problem because fuel leaks are potentially dangerous and the solution may require removing the fuel tank.

3. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    tazandjan as you know so good about the 612, how much if any of this problem will cost to fix? about?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sorry, no idea. Depends on what needs to be done.

5. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    I had same problem... Ferrari of cnj did a smoke test... Found gas tank leaking from fuel sender seals and roll over valves.... $1071.82.... Parts 99.82... Labor 972��

6. khazraji

khazraji Rookie

Nov 14, 2013
    I had to change both fuel pumps , if thats the problem it costs around 5k aed

7. Talodi

Talodi Rookie

Jan 1, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Marwan Ahmed
    Hi Khazraji, did you smell fuel inside the car? And where did you get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

8. Ferocity

Ferocity Rookie

Jan 14, 2012
    Another timely thread. I have a similar fuel smell. I smell it only in the cabin. When I walk around the outside of the car I don't smell it. When I pop the hood, I don't smell it either.

This time of the year, the car is hibernating and it won't be fired up for another few months. But I look forward to hearing more from other's experiences and, hopefully, solutions.

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    We had a 612 on one our Euro tours have similar fuel mell problems, turned out it was something on top of the fuel tank had perished (tank vent pipes?), think it's the same problem the 550/575 has too.

Often more noticeable when the tank is full or near full and under some pressure (we were at altitude when it developed)

Ferocity, you could try releasing any pressure in the tank by undoing the filler cap and see if it helps

10. Ferocity

Ferocity Rookie

Jan 14, 2012
    #10 Ferocity, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Thank you Mark. Will try your suggestion when it comes out later this year.

Does anyone know if dealing with, say, the vent tubes or sending unit, will require the gas tank to come out or are these locations accessible from where the tank sits? If it is accessible, is this something I can do myself easily?

11. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    Same issue. Garage stinks of fuel smell. Initially smelled it inside the car. Drove after a week hoping it went away and it didn't. Car hibernating now just started it 2 days ago for possibly 15min and the smell sadly increased a lot. It's a day later and the garage stinks. Couldn't be more worried. Will be towing the car to service dept at the earliest.

12. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    For my 2005 612 I noticed a fuel smell and it got stronger after each drive. Over time, the odor got so strong while the car was parked in the garage I was afraid of a possible fire in my house. Netted out, the fix cost $6K after replacing two fuel pumps and labor. The gasoline smell stayed in my car for another 6 to 9 months, though at a much reduced level. I used an odor remover to finally get rid of any hint of the gas smell. Now the driver/passenger cabin smells like pristine leather again.

Early detection: As the 612 gas tank sits behind the rear passenger seats and behind a separation panel in the back of the trunk luggage area, you can look under your car from the rear and if you notice the left or right side showing wet spots gathering road dust or grim, it is a sure indication the gas tank leakage is starting.

Good luck on getting it fixed sooner than later!

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #13 Nospinzone, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do not drive the vehicle when you smell fuel. A fire will destroy your car, or worse.

Here is what it looks like when the fuel pump at the top of the gas tank cracks. Note the streams of gasoline shooting to the 2 and 4 o'clock directions. This photo was taken of my 612 OTO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete

Honestly can Ferrari actually build cars properly?.

I've only owned one brand new car, a Mazda 6 diesel (wonderful car BTW) and I would have stuck it up the service managers arse if it had leaked fuel before 100,000km's.

This is completely pathetic by Ferrari. Surely these parts are tested and proven before being used. It is like every car they make has everything redesigned and not necessary fit for purpose ... they have made now thousands of cars, they should know how to make a ****en fuel pump and it should be the same part that all their v12 models use and therefore well proven.

If I had the money, I would not put up with this **** with a brand new car ... now a 60 year old classic Ferrari, sure, completely understandable.
    Pete

15. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    It's a well known problem with the 612 and the fuel pumps seem to be the most common offenders. It's not the pumps themselves but the poor quality plastic caps and connected fuel lines. There are other possible causes such as the fuel filter and it can be a difficult problem to diagnose. The smell seems to be sucked in through an open window despite usually coming from the rear of the car where the pumps are.
    My car now has only a very occasional fuel smell and my best guess is that it happens when pressure builds up in the tank such as after the car has warmed up. Basically the car seems to fart fumes every now and again and whilst that may be something we have in common it will be looked at (again) when it has the belt change this winter. Vent pipe a good working theory.

16. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Same with 599
    Michael

17. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Hello,

You managed to find the culprit for the fuel smell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Brian Hoban

Brian Hoban Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    London
    Update - the smell of petrol was most definitely a failed fuel pump element - the plastic (I think) outlets at the top - was leading to a spar into the surrounding area. Finally enough the smell was barely noticeable with the windows closed and the AC on, but open the window driving, and it seems air forced to the rear picking up the fumes. Mechanic highlighted it was a major and dangerous issue! Solved with a new pump, and associated bits - £500 parts + £500 labour (fuel tank had to be removed for access) = with tax £1,200. Thanks to everybody for their input -

brogenville and bay like this.
  19. Brian Hoban

Brian Hoban Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    London
    Precisely what happened with mine!