599 GTO Y spoke wheels | FerrariChat

599 GTO Y spoke wheels

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #1 glob1971, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am the very happy owner of a 599 GTO since September.

While searching I discovered there are two type of wheels for the GTO - both genuine and original Ferrari wheels. First model with a thin Y design, some with a thicker one (see photos enclosed).

I am curious if you would know what is the reason behind.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have not seen the second set before.
    They have the wheel weights stuck on the outside which Ferrari would not do [ probably], but I guess they could have had a new set of tyres?

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Grant- Not only that, but that tire should have been rotated 180 degrees on the wheel. That is way too much weight. They balance fine with the weights on the inside, as long as you ensure clearance for the brake caliper.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I knew there were 2 different wheels. But never managed to put my finger on the difference. It seems most GTOs have the thinner Y wheels.

5. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    #5 imcarnuts, Jan 10, 2015
    I think I have the thick ones, outside wts & lots of them. This spring I was planning on having them rebalanced & using black weights on the inside.

6. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #6 glob1971, Jan 10, 2015
    This is correct, you have the thicker wheels - i actually have the thinner wheels and it seems most of GTO produced have this thinner Y design. See photo of my car next produced in 2010 (with carbon), second one with the thicker wheels was produced in 2012.

It seems to me latest models (2012?) have the thicker design.

But the question, why they changed the design - thinner much nicer in my opinion ?

7. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    Mine was built early 2011. I bought it used but the warranty start date was 4-08-11 so I assume built in February of 2011.

8. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    Damn, I like the thinner ones better. If you hadn't pointed it out I would have never known. Nice thing is in black it isn't near as noticeable.

9. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    You are right, this is not visible in black :) but i am wondering why they made it thicker. It is obviously not a design issue, but a technical issue.

10. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #10 glob1971, Jan 10, 2015
    Another Y "thick" design, let's assume :

2010 = thin Y spoke design
    2011/2012 = thick Y spoke design

11. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Reason is strength. Thicker wheels are to prevent bents.

12. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    I own a 2011 GTO purchased new from a US authorized FERRARI dealer. I was present when the car came off of the transport from FNA. Wheel weights were and are present on the outside of the wheels.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seeing some wheels with a lot of lead (weights) on the outside rim opposite the valve stem. This can usually be avoided if the wheel man is skilled. My guy spins each rim first with just the TPMS and no tire. Finds the heavy point and marks it. Then he mounts the tire with its heavy point opposite it (tires come pre-marked). This way you minimize lead use and sometimes no need for any. He always puts them on the inside as well. This process takes twice the time to perform. He is usually booked a month in advance. I tip him heavily for his expertise.

14. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Not so sure. Mine is a late 11 build, vin 181..., and has thinner Y

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari may have sourced the wheels from two different manufacturers with the same basic design. You should be able to check from the casting marks on the inside of the wheel.

16. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #16 glob1971, Jan 11, 2015
    Hi, just to avoid a misunderstanding - he question is not about the weight around the rims, but the fact rims of GTO are different (see photos of my wheel + the thicker wheels). You can see it below, strange in my opinion. But tazandjan might be right, they might have changed the supplier at some time. I also know they are some fake Ferrari 599 GTO wheels sold on the market with screws placed differently- so BEWARE ! Anyway there are strange things happening sometimes with Ferrari, look at the center grid of this black GTO spotted in Dubai.

17. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thank you very much OP for that thread.

I had noticed the two designs, but I thought the thick spokes wheels were an option from the accessories catalog.

Is there a weight differece between the two ?

18. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

There was only one design of rims - first introduced were in shinny aluminum (rare), then grey rims as standard and could be ordered in black as an option for +/- 3000 USD. I believe the thicker wheels are heavier, but also more resistant.

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yeah I know I wanted to say "Two level of thickness" instead of "two designs"

There are some very rare GTO with those rims in silver. Seen two times until now. Looks great. Those rims were never displayed on a show car. They were featured on the configurator just after the launch and quickly removed

20. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    According to me, the black 599 in your picture has a modified 599 GTB front bumper. The shape of the bumber isn't the one of GTO. So very probably a "fake" GTO.

Thomas

21. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    #21 Nelsonc275, Jan 11, 2015
    Here is our GTO with the rare thin silver wheels.

22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely, I was thinking about this car. I pointed out those rare silver wheels when you first posted the pics, but you didn't reply.

23. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Interesting. I have a 2011 with the black finish and they are the "thin" type.

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Y-spoke?!? ****! That's brilliant. This whole time I've been documented GTOs in my database as having "GTO wheels" because I believe(d) those wheels were exclusive to the GTO, and that there was only one type of wheel for the GTO. I never saw the Y until this thread, and I never discerned the thickness difference in the two types of wheels, and I could've been noted the differences all this time. My life's work is ruined; time to pack it in and go home.

So, now that this cat is out of the bag (at least in my world, I'm likely the last to know), just how many wheel variants were available for the 599 GTO? Is it just the Y-spoke style, with two thickness variants?

25. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    Does anybody know of any bending issues with the thin version? I've not heard of any buy I'm fairly new to Ferrari and especially the GTO.