599 GTO w NO Stripe | FerrariChat

599 GTO w NO Stripe

Discussion in '612/599' started by secondsole, Jan 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Would you buy it or stay away? No stripe. Feels wrong, but such a great care, and rare...thoughts?

2. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Great question. I think it depends on what you want. The stripe (aka race livery) was an approx. 9K option on the GTO when new. IMHO the stripe and "hotter" colors (ie. the beautiful reds, yellow, white exterior colors) say look at me I'm an F car (same with scuds or speciales). These GTO's really are standout looking cars and truly epitomize the F car "look". Some argue that the stripe has a modest financial benefit too. For example, there are 360CS and 430 scud owners (the speciale is to new to value) who will say that the stripe adds some very modest value to a car (maybe 10K-15K as a speculative guess on the 360CS and 430S). Then again, there are many GTO owners who like to fly under the radar (literally). I fall into the latter category. My GTO is a very dark color and she has no stripe and I actually passed on several striped cars (including the hottest colors with the stripe). My GTO has the massive unpainted carbon side skirts which give it an almost 2 tone look (with the nero setoso exterior). Clearly there is no wrong choice. The only issue is personal preference. If you are looking solely from an investment perspective I really can't answer that as ALL GTO's do (eventually) sell. Does a striped car sell more quickly ? Maybe maybe not as I don't think there is any empirical data to support an unqualified conclusion. Your spending $500K-$600K+ on your dream car. What is your fantasy ? If you feel that the stripe makes the car then only buy a striped car. If you want to fly under the radar then definitely do only a stripe delete car. However you ultimately decide, I guarantee you that she will be THE best driver you have ever owned. She will also be THE best sounding car you have ever owned. Get the car that turns you on. Everything else will fall into place over time. Lets see some pics when you pick her up.

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Really great post and I agree entirely, buy what you like, at the end of the day few people buy cars because of what the next owner would like because who honestly truly knows what the next owner is going to like.

Live in the moment not in the future, well that's what I believe anyway.

4. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I would only purchase a 599 GTO withOUT a stripe.
    (If I wanted a Ford GT, I would also insist on stripe-delete.)
    Being old school, stripes belong on the racing cars to sell Martini & Rossi or to make it more noticeable to sell whatever product. Stripes are garish.

But that is exactly what some other Ferrari owners want... If bright red or yellow cars aren't loud enough, they add racer-boy stripes to them. (I've even seen chrome and "gold-plated" looking 599s.) Lamborghini Miuras exploited the loud-color market with their lime-greens and oranges, though they never stooped to putting stripes on them. Ferrari adds stripes to the end-of-production-run models to differentiate them visually from the previous fair.

But I apologize to all the racer-boys out there as I am a conservative geezer. It a matter of taste. As has been said before, buy what YOU like to project your personal style.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Im not quite so old school in my taste but to my eyes the stripe just doesn't work well on the GTO. The 599 shape is large and the stripe makes the car look larger. I think maybe a dark silver stripe on a black car is OK. But overall I would not want it.

However, having bought many cars over the years, I've learned, at least for me, if something like the stripe is iffy for me, if the car is great (as the GTO is) then I usually at first live with it and then I turn around and think its awesome.

6. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I love the racing stripes and historic livery. To me it makes the car. Especially when the stripes/livery are underneath the clear coat.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They look better without a stripe and without black roof.
    Subtle.

8. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    #8 GHG, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    To me that just looks like a slightly modified 599 gtb/hgte. Depends on personal preference. Own the GTOness of the GTO:D.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Why does it "feel wrong" to you? Although the stripe seems to be the most visible distinction from a standard 599 for those not well versed. I would hazard to guess most 599 GTOs have stripes and most standard 599s do not. If it feels wrong then don't do it but you got to admit it looks good either way.

11. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    An owner here has a no stripe all yellow GTO, that is my favourite. But I also remember that it sat for a long time before it sold so different strokes for different folks and all that...

12. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I personally love the dark roof, no stripe look and that is what I have. What I love almost as much are the racing stripes & historic livery. When looking to purchase a GTO it's not like there are a lot to choose from. The most important part of the GTO experience is driving it and they drive the same with or without stripes, dark roof etc.

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The stripes add drag ;)

14. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    No they don't! They make you go faster..... :D :D

15. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    #15 g4titan, Jan 18, 2015
    I think she looks just right without ;-)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. MLA

MLA Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Perfect! Very classy.

17. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    #17 kev360, Jan 18, 2015
  18. MLA

MLA Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am on the hunt for the right GTO and I am open to both. We shall see how it plays out.

19. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    If you like it, buy it

You can always add the stripe or buy it over the counter & keep it around to sell with the car in the future

Someday someone will say stripe delete is rare & worth a bunch more money

Someone tried that on me this week on a Ford GT40

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice Kev. How do you feel the GTO compares to the LFA?

21. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Same layout but totally different cars. I did a little comparison on ********** if you go there. Thread was "never satisfied". After I sold my diablo.

22. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Hmmm. Was the Lamborghini website that apparently I can't reference here

23. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I owned from new a 2009 599GTB. When I ordered my GTO I wanted it to look as different as possible from a 599. Hence black roof, wheels and stripe on Ferrari red.

24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Perfection!

25. Seaninhongkong

Seaninhongkong Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Sean

Agree, the car on right looks much better "with the stripe" !