FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | 599 Secondary Catbypass Pipes | FerrariChat

FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | 599 Secondary Catbypass Pipes

Discussion in '612/599' started by Fabspeed Motorsport, Jan 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #1 Fabspeed Motorsport, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lately there has been some buzz around our 599 secondary catbypass pipes, so I wanted to take a few minutes to outline some of the benefits and features of this product.

The Fabspeed secondary catbypass pipes are a great upgrade for the 599 for many reasons.

1) Removing the secondary catalytic converters will free up additional horsepower. These secondary catalytic converters block exhaust flow and provide no additional benefit considering all emissions are filtered through the primary catalytic converts further up steam in the headers.

2) Removing the secondary catalytic converters will also provide your 599 with a more aggressive exhaust tone. Catalytic converters act as a muffling agent, therefore by replacing them with the Fabspeed bypass pipes, you will gain a more aggressive tone. Rest assured that this will not make the car obnoxiously over loud or annoying.

If you are looking for a low priced and easy to install upgrade that provides big gains and now draw backs, you found it - Fabspeed's Secondary Catbypass Pipes.

If you have any questions or would like to place an order, please feel free to email me at [email protected] also keep in mind that F-Chat members receive special pricing on the entire Fabspeed product line!

Quick Video Explanation

http://youtu.be/cRTik9smBCE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino

Hi Joe, is this mod just as effective on a 599 HGTE ? Has anyone installed these straight pipes on their HGTE? I would like some feedback as I am considering this.

Thanks,

Lino

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't see why not.

I have them and I am very happy. However, I have my exhaust flaps pulled and I would just say the always open exhaust + this = elevated volume thats not for the faint hearted. I love it.

You'll also get a little power bump and I think the car is even more drivable.

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Lino,

The HGTE Package has a modified resonator to make the car slightly more aggressive over the base 599 - other wise the exhaust system is identical to a standard 599. That being said, YES the secondary catbypass pipes will still have a great effect on your 599. Hopefully one of our 599 HGTE customers can chime in here, I know there are at least a handful!

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Happy to hear you are pleased with the Secondary Catbypass! I have heard this system with the flaps pulled as well, I think it sounds phenomenal. I always like my cars on the loud side - so I may be biased :p

6. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Me too- but the level of loudness is such that it *almost* has me thinking of reattaching the flaps so I can also have quiet mode. Its really just the startup volume. On the highway I can make it more quiet by going to a higher gear- though at some speeds it will become louder.. :)

7. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to hearing from HGTE owners, but I'm pretty much sold on the idea...

8. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    It's hard to find the right feedback when considering a modification, especially since owner feedback will vary based on their personal taste.

I think I'm the most recent member here who installed a set and I think it sounds perfect. My car is not an HGTE, but the HGTE isn't that much louder than a standard exhaust so your results will be identical to everyone else here.

This thread is fantastic and was the reason I decided to go along with this mod: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/463262-experience-fabspeed-599-secondary-catbypass-pipes.html

9. Acrisis

Acrisis Rookie

Jul 28, 2014
    Seattle wa
    Full Name:
    George
    This available for the 612 hgts? 2007

10. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Thank you for the feedback!

Currently it is not unfortunately.

11. mike_c

mike_c Rookie

Jul 14, 2014
    Virginia, USA
    "Sounds" like an interesting add to a 599. I am most interested in what it literally sounds like, particularly before and after. I have searched, unsuccessfully. Besides removing a little weight off the rear, the sound is what its really all about isn't it?

12. mike_c

mike_c Rookie

Jul 14, 2014
    Virginia, USA
    I have a 2010 599 HGTE and love the sound of the car. I would be interested in opening up the exhaust, but am leery of excessively putting it over the top. The potential gain of 40HP seems magical although I am surprised that a 40/611 addition is as simple as removing the second set of cats. Do you have any before/after dyno data and sound clips we could see? It would make it easier to buy a performance mod. Thank you

13. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S

Hey Mike,

I do not have a dyno graph at the moment, but would be happy to provide one if someone with a 599 wants to stop by the shop for some pulls!

Some members have chimed in about their gains, which I see you have uncovered at this point. If not, you can visit this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/463262-experience-fabspeed-599-secondary-catbypass-pipes-3.html

Additional power is easily picked up because the secondary cats are really a redundant restriction - the primary catalytic converters take care of all the emissions functions. Your engine is like a big air pump, the faster you get the air out, the faster you can put more in, and the faster you go.

As others have mentioned, the sound increase is definitely notable, but not obnoxious.

Here is a video clip from a customer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHLSUvshZQ

14. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I haven't seen a proper before and after video of this mod, but it would be hard to capture the magic with a camera though. It's not just about the volume difference, but how much more loaded the exhaust sounds. Slightly bassier, crackles and pops on aggressive downshifts. The most accurate word is rich...like a 6 layer lasagna. The secondaries are near dead center on the car so you're removing weight off the center of the car, not the rear.
    Like you, I was also hesitant before buying a set because I didn't know exactly what to expect, but the great feedback in the other thread by the members here (linked above) pushed me to it.

The cats were much more restrictive than I thought. Even the shop who pulled them off commented how heavy they were and how packed they looked inside compared to others they have seen.

A member here had dynoed his car before and after the install and reported 34hp at the wheels IIRC, which is right around that 40 crank hp claim. It was a few months ago I think.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If the primary cats satisfy all required emissions then what is the purpose of the secondarys? Do they get some kind of fleet credit by scrubbing more on cars that don't need it? Yet if that were true it would imply that some cars sold don't meet requirements and I don't thing that would be allowed. Any insight here?

16. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    From my understanding, its more of a check system. "Shoot it dead, and then shoot it again to make sure its dead" - time of thing. I am not aware if there is any credit in over qualifying certain vehicles.

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So you think the primaries may be on the edge of passing so they added a backup? Seems you could have just beefed up the primaries. Do you know if other current models have these redundant secondaries (F12)?

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Roupin says it well. The best way I can say is before its a very nice sound, very Ferrari, but this being the GTB, the sound is a gentleman type sound, refined and not too much.

The sound after the mod reminds me of the way old race cars sound. And I had my friends stand on the street while I drove off one day and they all called me right after and said "wow that is race car loud and sounds like a race car- I love it!" It's wilder, less filtered, much more hooligan, more distortion to the sound. Like imagine an electric guitar playing very cleanly with no distortion (before) vs with lots of distortion (after). Sometimes that distortion is a really nice thing and I like it. If I were driving this car for very long distances it would cause me to close down those exhaust flaps and it might be too much for me. I don't know if doing videos would really capture it and weather has me not taking the car out right now. The sound insulation in the standard GTB is pretty good. Its quite a difference between windows closed and open. The sound is just so magical. I love it because it gives the 599 a bit more edge. Like I said above, before the mod, the car was a Ferrari. Now its a FERRARI. :)

In addition to the extra power, the car just feels like its been freed. It really likes it.

19. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
  20. rjn21

rjn21 Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    UK
    #20 rjn21, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F12 only has 1 pair of cats, post the manifold, pre H pipe or center pipe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Do you make these for the 612? If so, what is the HP gain?

Thanks.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thank you rjn21. Like your choice of cars.

23. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    We do make a set of these for the 612 unfortunately.

24. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Your reply is a bit puzzling. Were you implying "DO NOT" or are you really upset that you DO offer these for the 612. :)

25. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    My mistake, I apologize :) We DO NOT make these for the 612.