612 question | FerrariChat

612 question

Discussion in '612/599' started by Acrisis, Jan 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Acrisis

Acrisis Rookie

Jul 28, 2014
    Seattle wa
    Full Name:
    George
    Anyone find the 612 to be a bit of a dog until maybe 2000 Rpms? feels a bit slow out of the gate though once your foot is into it she spools up quick. My Maser, M6 and ZO6 had allot more after initial clutch engagement. Normal for this car? Just curious car is new to me.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Torque peak is above 5000 rpm, but there is still plenty of torque below that. 2000 rpm is only about 30' on a start. The 612 is geared like a drag racer compared to a Z06 Corvette, but weighs 1000 lbs more.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not at all - mine gets up and goes - and wants to go all the time

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not my HGTS 612 - When in Sport Mode, it storms out of the gate so fiercely, I get slammed back into the seat with alacrity.

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    My HGT2 has plenty of torque

6. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Not at all, mine keeps up every bit with my 599.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I loved the acceleration of my 612. I had a Maser GranTurismo Sport next to her, and though by the numbers 0-60 they're similar, I found the 612 far more exhilarating for whatever reason. I loved that car. A dog it was not. Only time I could see it being an issue is passing when you're cruising in 5th or 6th and need to downshift a couple to get your RPM's back.

8. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Bob, totally agree with you on this one.
    612 should be pretty lively and go through some great rev transitions as it heads all the way to the redline! Never felt it is a slow revving car...

9. Acrisis

Acrisis Rookie

Jul 28, 2014
    Seattle wa
    Full Name:
    George
    Thanks all just saying it's not in your face get up and go after initial clutch engagement it reminds me of my M6 ....spools up then pulls hard.
    Z06 is immediate at engagement and wild...I get it torque is down low! Maser close but not near the same though similar just much less torque . 612 and M6 nearly the same though my 6 was a stick so I could push higher Rpms like 2k then clutch dump so with Rpms higher it pulled harder immediately.
    Though this was a car that unless you played in the 4 to 5k range while city diving it was a bit sluggish say going into a turn on a light that just changed green and a drop into 2nd.
    Z06 just plain stupid to try and control though easily done once mastered in same scenario.
    Unless I am doing something wrong here the 612 in my opinion is sluggish at engagement of clutch With mild lag until rmps pull into 2k or above then she pulls hard through 3 and above.
    I also find it much more of a comfortable ride dropping to 2nd coming to a stop then quickly hitting neutral and braking to a stop. The coming in "hot"ride from 2nd to first is easy and comfortable. The easy slow " Sunday ride "dropping from second to first feels jumpy once it hits 1st and rolling towards a stop. Again I am getting used to this car with maybe 200 miles driven since purchase.

10. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    my 612 is awake and goes off the start.....
    Commenting about dropping into 1st... Brakes are much cheaper to replace then a clutch.... She should be driven like a manual... Only use 1st to startup.. never downshift into 1st...

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I never dropped to first in my 612 or in any of my fcars, but I do tach it out. People say just use 1st to get rolling, but my clutch readings suggest strongly that whichever your flavor, using 1st to 7k doesn't hurt anything anyway.

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No mechanic here, just curious, how old is your 612 and have you made sure the injectors are clean, plugs fresh, etc?

Most of us given the opportunity will coast into stop lights and such. It doesn't make much difference for the clutch but the trowout bearing is a relatively expensive repair as well and you don't want to have to change it when you're not doing the clutch, too.

13. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    #13 Smart4400, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Agree with Piper on both points.... About revving to 7000 I thought the sales bonus of the F1 tranny prevented over reving.... I never attempted to over rev I usually shift when she gets to 6k, but do you know if the ecu would prevent the over rev condition?

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Yes it stops over revving - have done it a few times accidentally
    Also, I downshift to 1st all the time on all my present and past F cars and never had a problem - love the sound - I might be considered an aggressive driver

15. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Funny thing is if you screw up by putting F1 into neutral (expecting to stop) and end up not needing to stop, F1 will usually put you no lower than 2nd gear when you upshift to make embarrassing recovery to continue on.

I'm curious if anyone is aware of the protocol for Up-Shifting F1 from Neutral whilst moving at a forward speed. I'm sure the sport setting probably effects the gear selection as well.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adam- No difference in gear selection whichever mode you are in and both the up and down paddles give you the same gear. The trick is to use the downshift paddle to get a gear and then hit it immediately to get a usable lower gear. Works like a charm. In rare cases, you may have to hit it twice after the initial move from neutral.

17. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Bob, agree with both points

Acrisis, next time the car has a service I would get them to check it out.
    I'm no mechanic either but it does sounds like it is more sluggish than most of us experience our 612s so maybe something is a bit clogged?

18. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Yes Terry!
    But why does the F1 always reselect too high a gear when you re-engage it?
    I always think that's a bit of a strange quirk in the software...

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nick- It selects the highest gear in which the engine will run smoothly. No clue why, it is just mechanized that way. I am good on the hows, but not so much on the whys, which are anybody's best guess without talking to the engineers. I doubt even they remember, since the decision was probably made in 1997 or so for the 98/99 F355 and never changed.

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant

It might be fuel related. My 456 started to display similar symptom when the rubber hoses started to corrode and fill the fuel filters/ fuel system with small pieces of rubber, probably caused by the amount of Ethanol in the petrol nowadays. Hopefully it won't be this but I would get it checked soon than later.

21. Acrisis

Acrisis Rookie

Jul 28, 2014
    Seattle wa
    Full Name:
    George
    I will get it checked out and report back. Thank you for the feedback ��