575 vs 599 | FerrariChat

575 vs 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by voncabbage, Feb 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. voncabbage

voncabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    new york
    Full Name:
    ira j.
    i do not know if i am comparing apples to oranges here, but as of this moment, a 3 pedal 575m with 20k miles costs EXACTLY the same as a 599 that is 5 years newer, has half the milage, but has 2 pedals. i have a 456m manual (and love it) but i am always thinking of what's gonna be next. i have already posed this question on the 456/550/575 forum and was given a good sales speil about why their favorite ride is better. now i'd like to hear from the opposing side, noting that while the 550/575's are now rising in price, the 599's value (excepting those of the gto's) has been on a seemingly steady decline. i'm not looking for a spec car; i want to drive it. i would appreciate any thoughts on this "dilemma".

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What is your question exactly?

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    575M with handling package is more visceral, more direct, a bit more old school approach. Less room inside. Smaller car. Classic lines.

599 is faster, more comfortable, more modern amenities, probably safer, ultimately handles better, but is a bit more aloof/ not as visceral or mechanical feeling at lower speeds- does come alive at higher speeds, and more modern complex styling.

To my eyes the 550/ 575 is more of the spiritual successor to the 275, the 599 is to the Daytona.

I think in the case of the values you bring up, given the rarity of the stick 575 and the demand from enthusiasts for a stick car, I can understand the price parity.

As to whats better- its hard to say- whats better for you? If you are doing a lot of highway driving the 599 is probably the better choice. That car really loves to go at higher highway speeds.

If you want to row the gears around your backroads then thats an easy choice as well.

I love the looks of both cars. I think they are both masterpieces.

I suppose in your case the 599 might be a little more different from the 456 whereas the 575 is a little closer to it so maybe that puts you in favor for the 599?

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I don't think that's very fair. There aren't "sides" here. No one tried to sell you anything and/or lure you into anything, once no member that I'm aware of gains a comission or a bonus on whatever you decide to do and buy. You asked this same question over the 456/550/575 section, in which members gave their utmost to enlighten you on the cars they have and know best to the fullest extent and detail, answering your every question with technical insight and you've confused that will a sales pitch. That's your loss I guess.

Every member here is helpful, respectful and courteous, at least every member I came in direct contact with. No one is arguing their car is best because they own it. Try both the 575 and the 599 and then make up your mind. Easy. Most indecisions are sorted by trying out the car and driving. If however you're looking for a more phylosophical approach, I believe Caeruleus11 has said it all.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ira- I agree with Nuno. One is not better than the other, just different, which is what we told you over there. Just depends on what you want.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Test drive both and make your own mind up.
    I thought I would not like the change from a 550 manual to a F1 but to be honest it is better for me in all respects, other than low speed manoeuvring. I go through the gears much quicker than I would with a manual and hardly ever drive in auto except on long motorway journeys. As said both are great but it depends on what you want.

7. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The 599 is an amazing car. The more I drive it, the more I want to drive it. After a long drive yesterday I was a block from home and decided I still wanted more...turned around and head back out again.

It's a big car when parked and in parking lots. It's wider than the 575, but the size shrinks at speed. So more than just looking at the cars, drive them both and see what feels more natural to you.

8. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have owned and driven both. Lower, prettier and wonderful to drive, the 575 is classic Ferrari for touring. The 599 is larger, more comfortable, more nimble and more powerful which takes some getting used to after the 575. As Taz says, different. If I hit the number, I'd buy the 575 back.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    tough question I have a 550 because I absolutely think it is one of the best looking cars ever made... and of course the 575is the same styling a 575 3 pdl is pretty nice.. on the other hand while I do not car for the looks anywhere as much it is a nice car.. by them both..

10. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have owned both. I had a 2005 575M and I am currently on a 2009 599 GTB. Plain and simple, I like the 599 better. Don't get me wrong the 575M was fantastic and owning it was an amazing experience for me (it was my first Ferrari) I sort of feel that the 599 is a more polished and complete product to live with. Fewer quirks, more comfortable and goes like a bat out of hell.

Having said that, I came across this 2004 575M (below) for sale with ridiculously low miles the other day and I found my self very tempted to buy and own along side the 599.

Ferrari 575 Maranello 1,600 km 113042 - AUTO TRADER UAE

11. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    #11 MrF355, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    The 550/575 owners were not selling the 575 as you have taken it. You have erroneously confused passion for the 575 as being a sales pitch. As owners we are passionate about the model we have. Ferrari is a passion which is hightened further with the model our hard work has brought into our life.

Both the 575 and 599 are great cars but are very different. I owned a wonderful 575 for 3 years which I traded for my 599. Do I regret my decision, I don't. Do I at times miss my 575, I do. You must drive both and then you can decide which model is right for YOU.

12. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Love my 550 stick shift for its classic lines and old school tech. Also love my 599 GTB for more modern day fit and finish.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mario- That is really a bare bones F1 575M. I cannot see a single option on her.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Me neither, although I can't see the inner rear trunk compartment. 250 GT style front grill perhaps?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nuno- That grille became standard in Fall 2003, along with the addition of the 575M script.

16. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey Terry. Yeah I agree. Not much there in terms of extras. I liked the car because of the extremely low mileage and the fact that is in very good condition. It's very hard to find ME spec cars with such low mileage. The car is originally from Kuwait and ended up for sale in Dubai.

I don't think it's going to sell any time soon. I might wait it out a bit and see if they are willing to drop the price a bit further.