Anyone know this 612 in Dubai? | FerrariChat

Anyone know this 612 in Dubai?

Discussion in '612/599' started by CGK, Feb 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Hello Forum,

this is my first post on this forum, I have been an avid follower of this forum for some time now but never posted.

My father has recently moved to Dubai and is considering purchasing this Ferrari 612:

Reem Automobile

I was just wondering if anyone had any information regarding the cars history?

Any response will be very much appreciated.

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #2 raider1968, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Beautiful car - does it have HGT2 - can you possibly try to give us the price in US $ - I have a 2008 and it has grown to be one of my all time favorites
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Raider1968 - He is going to the dealership some time this week or the next, the price is approximately USD 75.000, I'm not quite sure if the car has HGT2, but will make sure to ask.

Your car looks epic as well.

4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Not to hijack your thread, but the dealer is listing a brand new Porsche Carrera...as an "unwanted gift"...

Shoulda asked me...

5. khazraji

khazraji Rookie

Nov 14, 2013
    I like the interior, nice car and i know its been there for some time.
    I would suggest you check at ARMotors or DAS garage. It will cost 500-1000 aed approx.
    If the car has no issues, then you got yorself a bargin.

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes, very nice interior.

7. Alpiger

Alpiger Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  8. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    NYC Fred - Should've asked me as well ;)

Khazraji - Thanks for the information, already suggested him to get a full inspection to make sure that the car has no major faults

Piper - Agree the interior looks great!

Alpiger - Probably a good idea to have everything in writing.

9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    If the car is in good condition sounds like a steal

10. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It has been listed for sale for a while. I came across the ad on Dubizzle.com a few times ... I would have the Al Tayer (dealership) do a full test and avoid the cheaper workshops. In any case the cost of the test (around 3000 Dhs) should go on the seller and not you. Negotiate that Reem Auto and I am sure they will accept. Like I said the car has been sitting there for a while.

11. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Thank you all for the great responses, does anyone know how long exactly the car has been sitting?

And regarding an extended warranty on the car, is this something that can be made at the dealership (recommendable?) or is it possible to be made at "Al Tayer"?

Thanks in advance.

12. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have seen it online for a few months but can't say for sure how long. These cars tend to float from dealer to dealer until they get sold.

Al Tayer Motors IS the official dealership (sorry if I wasn't clear about that on my earlier post). Not sure if they can offer you the extended warranty. This car is a 2008 so the original warranty is all gone. Even if the previous owner had extended, which i doubt, Ferrari might be a bit reluctant to offer it. If you do the full inspection there though and they don't find anything wrong with the car, you might be able to get it done. It will cost you around 24,000 Dhs for one year.

13. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Vaderinc - Thank you for the answer. If Ferrari is reluctant to offer a warranty, is it possible to perhaps pay more as Ferrari might have a higher risk? (sorry for the novice question, we've always had German cars) And if not, what would your estimate be as to how much on average a year it would cost to mantain a decent example of a 2008 612? (10-20k km a year)

He is going to see if he can make it to the dealership tonight.

14. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They only have two warrant programs that are applicable to a 2008 car. Please note that these come from Ferrari and not the dealer. So even if the dealer wants to sell it to you, Ferrari will have to approve.

A) POWER NORMAL : the sixth year warranty
    POWER NORMAL is the Ferrari Pre-Owned Warranty offered for cars for which the manufacturer's warranty has expired and which are six years old or under; The warranty can be renewed and so the period of cover can be up to four years; It covers the main areas of the car: engine, transmission, trim and electrics.

B) POWER TRAIN: the 10th year warranty

This warranty only covers the gearbox and the engine and is available for cars under nine years old, for which the manufacturer's warranty has expired. Power Train is a flexible warranty and so may be purchased at any time.

However, there are two scenarios:
    Purchase between expiry of manufacturer's warranty and sixth year (Option 1);
    Purchase between the seventh and ninth year of the car's life (Option 2). The Power Train Warranty can be repeated several times to cover the entire period of possible coverage. However, its purchase excludes the purchase of any other successive warranty product. However, by purchasing the various Ferrari Pre-owned Warranties in succession you will be able to cover your car for a period of up to 10 years.

If your dad goes there today, he will have to go to the service center at the back of the showroom. Ask him to speak to Arif, he is my service manager and is quite helpful. Also please note that the service center usually closes around 4:30 - 5:00 PM

15. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Vaderinc - Once again, thank you very much for the elaborate and informative answer. Now I hope that Al Tayer will approve of the warranty for the car.

This being the family's first Fcar I'm not sure that we dare purchase the car without a warranty.

16. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Good luck and let me know if you need any help with anything. You can PM me if you need any assistance with the dealership.

17. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Vaderinc- I'll probably pick you up on that!

He went down to the dealership today and was STUNNED by the amazing sound it made! I only think we've seen the 612 a couple of times beforehand.

He is test driving the Ferrari 612 saturday as well as a Bentley GT W12 and an Audi R8 V10.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The OTOs all came with the sport exhaust system from the HGTC/HGTS package of the older 612s (pre HGT2), which sounds very nice. That is a real bargain for an OTO 612.

19. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    No other "tells" that this car has HGT2?

He unfortunately did not ask, but will be sure to get back on saturday with a full summary. He did however mention that the leather in the Ferrari looked a little "used" probably due to it being out in the sun for a longer period of time in the heat of Dubai.

20. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Reem is a solid outfit. I have known them for a long time. I sold my 360 Modena through them back in 2008. Talk to Brett Chimes over there. I have known him to be a straight shooter.

Having said that, you MUST do the 200-point check (or whatever they call it) down at Al Tayer. It will cost you AED 3,500 IIRC, but it's well worth it. After they provide you with the report, ask to speak to the team leader who looked at the car. Discuss all the issues he found. There are 3 teams at Al Tayer and all 3 team leaders are passionate about their work. If they see you as someone who cares about the car (rather than the turn-the-key-and-go owners they mostly deal with), they will go out of their way to help you.

I own a 2010 612 with 50,000 km on the clock. And I can tell you that you're going to find issues with that car you're considering. I don't know the car personally, but it's a Ferrari and it's 7 years old.

So it's a matter of finding out what's wrong and figuring out what you can live with and what you need to get fixed. Assuming there are no deal breaker issues with the car, you should then get an estimate from Al Tayer for all the things that you want done and negotiate with the seller to deduct that cost from the selling price.

When it's time to get the issues fixed, you can always go to an independent workshop to get the work done cheaper, but it's always a strong negotiating point with the seller to be holding an estimate from Al Tayer in your hand.

Hope this helps...

21. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    omarabdallah - It most certainly does!

If you don't mind me asking, what have been your major faults, as it seems your specification and mileage will match that of our coming Fcar?

22. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    There is no specific list of things that typically go wrong. Ferrari has made tremendous progress on reliability in the last 15 years, but it's still a limited production car company...

Various things need attention because of the passage of time, such as the clutch, brakes, tires and battery. A new clutch alone is AED 36,000 at Al Tayer before negotiating a discount. There are also major and minor service that have to be performed on the car periodically. If one hasn't been done in a while, that will cost you as well. A major service with some random things that happen to need changing could run you AED 50,000 before discount. This last number is obviously a general estimate depending on what they find the car needs.

Other than that, things pop up from time to time, some of them are pretty small but sometimes end up costing a lot of money to fix because of labor charges.

As I mentioned before, you can obviously go to an independent shop and get most of those things done at substantially lower prices.

23. CGK

CGK Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    CGK
    Omarabdallah - Thank you very much for the feedback. Under all circumstances the car will be checked by Al Tayer and then we will see what state the car actually is in.

24. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Hi ! The car has been on and off dubizzle for months . There is an Estimate from al Tayer (with the dealer ) of 100k or so of work. Have it checked out before you purchase it. Some of these expenses May not be required immediately but it's worth paying the 3500aed and getting a full inspection report from al Tayer. Hope this helps.

25. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    WOW. That's crazy. Before you even take the car there for inspection you can ask them for the car history. If they have an estimate there for 100K like zvdxb says, then I am sure they will be upfront about it and save you a lot of time and money.