Fiorino Owners and Cognoscenti: Info Needed | FerrariChat

Fiorino Owners and Cognoscenti: Info Needed

Discussion in '612/599' started by Redneck Slim, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I recently became interested in owning a 599,and I am trying to educate myself about them. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Any issues,recalls,weaknesses,factory fixes,etc. I read here that pre-2008 engines have a lubrication problem.

2) From MY2007 to MY2008,the base MSRP increased by $39,000. What content was added?

3) When did these become standard: CCB,Nav,rear parking sensors?

4) Any improvements in later models (other than some options becoming standard)?

5) What is better about Challenge Monolithic wheels?

6) What are Privacy Rear Windows ($4600)? One-way glass? Just a tint?

7) What is a Heat Insulating Windscreen ($675)?

8) What is the standard caliper color?

9) Seat Confusion: Are there three seat types--base,Recaro,CF sport? Does "Daytona" refer to just the style of the leather covering? Were power and heat optional for all seat types?

I found the old factory website for personalizing these cars,but it raises more questions than it answers.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Walt- Go to ferraridatabase.com and see what you can find there that will help. We can answer these questions given a little time. Most of them, at least.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Taz: Thanks for the link. Although it doesn't have what I am looking for,it contains mountains of data about Ferraris including manuals.

4. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Front parking sensors are the ones you need!

I love the privacy rear glass for a lot of different reasons.

HGTE is the best for the GTB

Ferrari Nav....that's an oxymoron

5. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Lew.

Can't you aftermarket tint the glass just the same?

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    1) Any issues,recalls,weaknesses,factory fixes,etc. I read here that pre-2008 engines have a lubrication problem.

Many say this, but I can tell you I have a 2007 with around 20k miles and its been driven hard and put away wet and I have no issues. I will tell you the market place puts a discount on 2007 cars. Maybe its due to this, maybe its due to the fact that some of 2007 cars can't be upgraded to the full HGTE spec.

The only issue Ive had with my 599 is a front parking sensor was hit by a pebble on the highway and that caused the computer to report all kinds of failures, like transmission failure, when it wasn't failing. Replacing the sensor fixed the false error codes.

2) From MY2007 to MY2008,the base MSRP increased by $39,000. What content was added?
    CCM brakes were added as standard. I think the rest was Ferrari trying to grab some of the pricing frothiness for themselves.

3) When did these become standard: CCB,Nav,rear parking sensors?
    Not sure if the Nav was ever an option. Brakes in 2008. Not sure about parking sensors.

4) Any improvements in later models (other than some options becoming standard)?
    Switch to newer ECU and TCUs- Ferrari (like everyone else) usually makes running improvements over time.

5) What is better about Challenge Monolithic wheels?
    Structurally there is nothing better. Many think they look better than the 19"F/20"R star design wheels. I think its simply a matter of personal taste. Both are cast wheels. The Challenge are 20" front and rear and are required for CCM brakes.

6) What are Privacy Rear Windows ($4600)? One-way glass? Just a tint?
    Net effect is its like tint but its darkened glass from the factory. Its not one way.

7) What is a Heat Insulating Windscreen ($675)?
    Its a coating in the windshield glass that helps reflect the heating energy of light so the cabin remains cooler.

8) What is the standard caliper color?
    Not sure there really is a standard color but if you don't specify one I think Ferrari will just supply your car with black calipers.

9) Seat Confusion: Are there three seat types--base,Recaro,CF sport? Does "Daytona" refer to just the style of the leather covering? Were power and heat optional for all seat types?
    I think the 599 seats for the US were all electric bucket seats. I don't think they are truly made out of CF but you can have CF backing as a trim which looks sharp. The Daytona refers to the inserts. I think heated seats were optional.

7. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    My car is a 2007...
    The Nav was a $2,361 option on my car. CCB was $18,550. Front and rear parking sensors were $2,126.

CCB's fit with the Pentagram wheels despite the 19" fronts, altho the clearance from caliper to wheel is very very tight. Can't even fit the wheel weights between them.

Frontv12 likes this.
  8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Are you saying that you can't see over the hood?

By the way,Lewis,reading your long-running ad thread is what got me interested in the 599. I hadn't paid them any mind before.

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Great information,guys. Thanks. Keep it coming.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Walt- From MY07 to MY08 CCMs became standard (actually before the MY08s) and the dollar fell 5-10% against the euro. That covers it.

No lubrication problem on early 599s, just picky owners who could hear the hydraulic valve lifters pump up when they were cold. So they added some snake oil to quiet them down. Real men do not complain about their valve lifters.

CCMs (CCBs are on Porsches) became standard late in MY07. No clue on the little stuff. May have been standard on all of them. Look at some window stickers to confirm.

Late in 2007 at serial number 156938, the 599 (and 612) converted from Motronic 7.1.1 to 7.3.2. This necessitated changing the TCU and shock absorber ECUs. HGTE came out for MY10 with lots of changes and 85 ms min shift times.

Challenge wheels are prettier and bigger (20" F, too).

The are named the 599 Fiorano.

Privacy rear windows are tinted, just like it sounds.

Heat insulating windshield uses IR reflecting glass, just like all the high end cars.

Standard caliper color is black.

Daytona seats look like Ferrari Daytona seats, with perforated stripes of leather. Full Recaro means full electrical adjustments to all kinds of crud. Look in the owners manual for details. Also look at Ricambi's online parts catalog for the 599.

James Murdock likes this.
  11. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    Thank you much, Taz. Always learn something new from your encyclopedic (I realize I am dating myself here) posts.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I was brought up with the World Book and Encyclopedia Americana, so am fairly ancient myself.

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Haha...remember when the sum total of all human knowledge accumulated in the prior year would be delivered as a 1" thick update? :D

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I like MY2007,so it is reassuring to know that there is no engine problem. Thanks again for all the info,Taz.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Affirmative, and the updates came with the purchase of the encylopedias. For a while.

Walt- Just remember, a little hydraulic lifter noise when warming up is normal. Snake oil not needed. Takes a while to get 10W-60 flowing, regardless of the 10 winter rating.

16. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Taz: In the For Sale area,RM Auctions has a 599 stick. There is some debate about how many sticks were made and how many came to the US. If you have the answers,you could chime in.

17. cborgrx

cborgrx Karting

Aug 16, 2005
    huntington, n.y
    Full Name:
    chris borg
    As long as this thread is filled with 599 info, can anyone tell me if the 599 ever came with a stick to row your own gears?

18. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Yes, not many were ordered that way and now in UK at least they command a $100k premium over F1 cars

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    There are a few threads here about the 599 stick. Poke around and you'll find them.

20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    F1 was $10,000 more. Almost everyone ordered it. The figure I have seen is that only 33 came with a stick. But it was available.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Walt- I have seen several numbers for three pedal 599s, but none I trust.

22. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    The front end of the car is farther away from you than most other cars you have probably driven. Parking sensors help you avoid the curbs that are oft placed at the front of parking spaces. No bumper rash!

23. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Soooo true....front sensors should have been standard.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    There were updates?

And here I thought everything to be learned was already known.

Always in the wrong line at the grocery store.

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Now that's funny.

All European manufacturers went through that. They refused to just take advantage of what the Americans learned by 1970. They really went through that with automatic transmissions.

The "Not thought of here" state of mind is very strong in Yurrip, especially the Fatherland.

The Japanese suffer under no such malady. They are perfectly happy to learn from others mistakes.