GTO on track | FerrariChat

GTO on track

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Feb 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    It would be true to say I have had some fantastic GTO experiences but even by those standards today was special.

Had a spin next to a guy, he owns an F40 among other cars and while he isn't overly familiar with the GTO he is very familiar with the F40. Also at the track was a 458 Speciale.

This track is tight and quite a few high speed s bend corners and elevation, think a mini willow springs but with more greenery and you wouldn't be far wrong.

From the off I was a bit lets say apprehensive, after going around with a friend in his 308 and nearly spinning(this track like Willow has no real run off are).

However I figured I would place my trust in the expert behind the wheel and the experts a the Factory who set this car up.

We head out first, the Speciale behind us and down the straight the V12 really gets into its stride, 5 car lengths on the 458S, multi downshift works fantastically and through the S bend high speed corners its one awesome drive, the pace gets quicker and quicker with each lap and over each lap we pull more of a gap, not massive but a gap. The rear came around from time to time (it was in race) but the package is just astonishing, the excitement this car gives a passenger and a drive is just otherworldly.

The scream of the V12 and the handling.

After 8 laps the GTO which started first remained in first place. Driver sitting next to me " it was about pride, we had to finish first".

Asked him how it compares to his F40 and he mentioned they are totally different but the sheer excitement on the track is very similar, though he did mention GTO one needs to be precise with the car but its hugely rewarding to drive.

In the sake of full disclosure I did get out slightly white and shaking ever so slightly.. ;)

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There is nothing like the track experience.

You get to test the limits of your vehicle and yourself.

Regardless of how well you do, you will always end up with a better appreciation of what Ferrari ownership is truly meant to be.

4. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Sounds like you had an awesome track experience in one of the greatest cars ever made. Lucky you. Next time do a video for us. I keep hearing that on track the GTO gets better as you go faster as its a well sorted beast. I'm not shocked that the GTO can keep the Speciale at bay particularly where there are long straights. I'm very jealous !

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Strange thing is this track has one straight and the rest comprises of high speed flowing corners with some tighter corner. Its really a test of front end grip and balance. The V12 when you keep it between 6500 and 8000 rpm....a magnificent sound.

I think one day I need to make my way to Spa and go for a spin with the inaugural member of Scuderia GTO. I can only imagine how incredible the GTO would be around that circuit!

6. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    ;) … It is a blast and you would be more than welcome to join me! Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm surprised to see that the GTO stayed in front. The 458S is much easier to drive and mighty fast, especially on twisty tracks but in my opinion doesn't give the excitement the GTO does. I do find the GTO a tricky one especially when being pushed … but what your write up and the comments of the driver confirm again is what many of us and Ferrari have been saying from day one … it is a true driver's car and certainly has a way of pushing all the right buttons. That's what makes it so special.

Cheers,

M

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Admittedly the guy behind the wheel was a long standing F40 owner, he did mention the GTO rewards driving accuracy and precision.