Buying a 599. First Ferrari. Need advice | FerrariChat

Buying a 599. First Ferrari. Need advice

Discussion in '612/599' started by Spoiled599, Feb 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spoiled599

Spoiled599 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Hey everyone. Ive been a lifelong Ferrari lover and at 36 years old have an opportunity to purchase a red and tan 599 for a what I view as a very good price ($130k) with 20k miles on it.

Dealer said don't get the warranty on power train as they know the car since day one and it was a 2 owner car, one that was owner by dealer owners father in law. This was Friday as I was to sign ppwk and deliver check.

That afternoon I found out during PPi they found the timing case seal was leaking. They're replacing that and the valve cover seals for $3k to the seller. Started getting nervous.

Today found out it was a 3 owner car instead and only at this dealership since 2012. Seems to be sketchy info now at best. It's a mainline Ferrari dealership selling this on consignment.

Had agreed to $132,745 with ppi/ compression test/annual maint ($1500), dealer fee $995.

Not sure whether to walk at this point and if this car is going to be a headache or negotiate a lower price. They said trade in value is high One-teens at present. Feel like I am overpaying for a car I want that's history isn't what dealer said when telling me they have all records on it and worried what's the next issue.

Talked to 3 599 owners at an event today and they've had theirs from 6mo-3years without major issue.

What do I do???!!!

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    This is difficult for two main reasons:

1) These cars are darn near bullet proof as you stated from speaking to other owners today.

However

2) Trust with the selling party is number one in my book. Not accurately representing a vehicle speaks volumes and lord only knows how the truly treated the car during ownership.

*Write a google review on the dealership for misrepresenting car. They ought to know better than jeopardize their reputation.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Some of this can be chalked up to typical car dealer nonsense. However, if you get a bad feeling in your gut, I say listen to it.

Digging deeper: who did the PPI? I hope not the selling dealer.

If you really want the car and are worried about something catastrophic happening then maybe get that extended warranty for a year or so. However, whenever I run the math, it almost always works out against the warranty.

FWIW, Ive had my car since new, so almost 8 years now, about 19k miles and no major problems.

4. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Personally I would run like hell. No trust - no deal.

Lotsa nice cars out there.

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The dealer fee seems very cheap over here they add $15000 on trade in car and I was told a consignment car was around $10,000!
    The whole car seems like a good deal, so Just get a Ferrari power warrantee for 1 year on it, as it covers most things, and I am sure you will find out if there are any problems within a year.

6. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    8 years and 19k miles. Now THAT'S a driver right there !

Spoiled599, WHNEVER U BUY A FERRARI AND U HAVE THE MONEY TO DO IT, GET THE WARRANTY. And I mean the full one !

Dont have the money to pay for insurance, warranty and mainainance ? DONT buy the Ferrari.

As easy as that.

UNless, of course, you are another driver who puts 2k miles per year. In that case as soon as something starts leaking, just park your car til the next year when u have the money to repair it.

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Marmist.
    I put about 2-3000 miles on my 599 a year also. I love it and drive it when I get the chance. Its not my daily driver, I have other cars as well, the same as other owners on this site, so its great to spread the driving experience around, and more enjoyable when you get back into the car, a realize how great they are and how lucky you are to be able to do something you love.

8. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Do you perhaps sell warranties.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Is this a 2006-2007 model year 599? Didn't some 599 owners comment about shocks leaking?
    I would keep looking for a 599 at this point as someone else noted 'trust' is important when buying as these cars are expensive to repair.

10. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    how about some more information on the car,like model year and options.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    how did you determine it was 3 owners vs 2 ?

carfax ? did the owner move ? what it initially a lease, corporate lease, etc, etc , etc

12. Spoiled599

Spoiled599 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Car fax. 2 owners in south Florida with sales and one orlando. Dealer said 2 owner both orlando

13. Spoiled599

Spoiled599 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015

2008 $344k sticker

14. Spoiled599

Spoiled599 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Dealer fee is $995 to me but they're making $9000 on the deal in commissions

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Plenty of one owner cars around. Take your time.

16. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Here is my .02cents which may be worth a fair bit less. Is the dealer where you are purchasing the car going to be the dealer where you maintain the car and have a potential long term relationship? I think the $995 dealer fee to you is ridiculous esp if you may be a repeat local customer. I would have them add the warranty. Yes it adds expense but for your first Ferrari, and a V12, it adds a comfort level that relieves a lot of headache and worry. I think its about $6k for the v12. Again, it is financially not a great decision but emotionally may help a bunch. You may have some room to negotiate that into the deal for less than the $6k. Also since they will be doing the leak they may do the warranty inspection for nothing.

17. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Look it's a used car selling at what 1/3rd of MSRP? You can't expect total perfection....

18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    If it's any consolation it took me a year to find my car.

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Wow- 2008, 20k miles and 130k would be your price into it?

That sounds like a fantastic deal.

FWIW, my car is am 07, no leaking shocks, no problems, Been driven hard, been to the track, total blast of a car. Love it, drive it all over. Lately been driving other things but I will always have this car.

I had someone asking to buy it a year ago- offered me 160k and I said no because I wasn't interested in selling and I thought what would I do with the money in terms of replacement vehicle. I concluded the technology in the car is worth more than the 160k- at least in my opinion.

130k. Wow.... I know the market dynamics but when you consider what you're getting- its almost a steal.

20. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A great car. Just don't spend your last dollar. Warranties on Ferraris are expensive, I choose to self insure. You either pay repair bills or depreciation. If you spend 20k on repairs in the next two years, you probably won't, it still a ton cheaper than a 200k depreciation hit.

Otherwise buy a 2 year old 911 and put the rest in your pocket.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Since you know the dealer, or at least the salesperson, is lying to you, I'd walk. The only out is if they want to take $15K off, but they probably won't do it because they know they'll find some noob to bite.

22. Spoiled599

Spoiled599 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Yes that dealer is owned by same person as the dealer that closest to me. It's one of those things where you don't want to bite the hand that'll help you but knowing you're paying $131k for a car they said the next day trade in is $117k is scary.

We have an in at a large dealer in Cali. They have 599's for sale for $150-165k range and $30-40k is profit In each of those. That's how low they're buying them for. You can look at them on cargurus.com and you'll see on average $15k drop in last 3 months just sitting still. It's nuts right now.

23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If it's the right car, if it were me, I think I'd try to work it out. IF it's the right car. At that price point, it's a bottom car. That's where I tend to feed so I know what the deals are like. Know what's wrong with it, set a price you can live with and see if they can, too.

24. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    Don't take this personally but I think you may be going about this in the wrong way. No matter what car you buy, with few exceptions, you will always get less if turn around and trade it back in 3 months. Also, don't focus on what the dealer paid, focus on the deal you are getting. If it's the right car for you and at the right price for you then get it. You can wait 3 months and it may be cheaper but you lost out on 3 months of fun not having the car to drive

25. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wouldn't prices firm up or even rise a bit in the beginning of the spring?