Buying First 599 | FerrariChat

Buying First 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by jhoit1, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jhoit1

jhoit1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I would love if you guys could give me some info as well. I am about to purchase my first ferrari a 2008 599 with 10k miles and all the perfect options. It's a reputable dealer and I just want to hear from you guys any quirks or problems that you guys have had with your cars and just pretty much anything I need to know about this car. Any and all info is appreciated. Thank You So Much!

2. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Try the search tool using appropriate key words like "599 problems", "599 advice", "searching for 599"' etc. You'll get reams of helpful info.

3. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The only problem I've had is I only get to enjoy the car on weekends, and the weekdays take too long...

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1

Search this Forum is your friend.

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Read my thread a few threads down titled "Fiorino Owners and...". Many people provided info.

6. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    Ditto on the above mentioned and a couple of words of advice I was given before I got my 2007 last summer after looking for the color and options that I wanted. It doesn't sound important but trust me; 1) make sure you get all of the books in their leather case 2) the two keys that come with the car and 3) the complete tool kit. Those three items will cost you close to $3000.00 if you do not get them with the car and you will kick yourself later. Good luck.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At 10k there isn't a hell of a lot to worry about, if it's a good example. A dealer, reputable or not, is in the business of moving metal. Look for undocumented damage history. These cars can have electrical gremlins in the climate control and seat heat. Check functioning, hot and cold, open and close vents. PPI might not catch that sort of stuff. Otherwise, PPI is your friend. In another 5k you might start seeing other common service points, suspension especially, tie rods, ball joints, shocks if unlucky. Heard tell the radiator can go as well.

I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S that I adore. I just put a new drive shaft in it. The air suspension will need work soon. Had a vacuum line bust last month. in 2014 I replaced all the ignition coils. A lot less expensive and more rewarding to preserve a stunning older ride. 599 is three times as expensive initially as the Cayenne Turbo S, which is pretty staggering if you think about it. Proportionally though, the service on these cars is reasonable.

8. bls430

bls430 Rookie

Dec 23, 2009
    My second Ferrari was a 2007 599 and it had some early on issues with a rattling oil line
    every time I shifted. The problem was resolved after months of Ferrari dealer trouble shooting and finally using rubber hoses on the lines. I traded the car for a 458 Italia at the dealership. The car required the maintenance( 9700 miles but age required the service) and
    a new headliner. Before the dealer sold the car the driver side electric seat motor failed. Overall the parts and service added up to $7500.00. My experience was excellent and it is a very powerful car, great handling and comfortable. If I find another one at the right price I would consider purchasing it.

9. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Get a full inspection done before buying. Get one with carbon ceramic brakes.
    Sadly I only get to drive mine for half the year due to harsh NJ winters. Have been debating selling mine for that reason.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Posted over a week ago and never heard from him. I knew not to waste my time. That's why I told him to search.

It's too bad, trolls like this spoil it for genuine new members. JMO

11. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    perhaps a probationary period is required...lol

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    NOOO! I am a newbie here and read these threads. Thankfully, Piper has given me advice through PM which I appreciate very much. I do the searches but seeing new threads is much better IMO. Thanks to all of you who take time to point those of us looking for a Ferrari in the right direction.

13. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    How many were made? Any confirmed # yet?