From V8 to V12? | FerrariChat

From V8 to V12?

Discussion in '612/599' started by barbuckle, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    I am looking at moving from a V8 Maserati Gransport to a V12 Ferrari 599. After a decade of driving F1 V8 Maseratis I am hoping (arranging test drive now) to test the 599 (looking at an 07 GTB with HGTE upgrade - and yes excludes TCU and ECU performance upgrade as car is too early for those).
    So my question is - anyone here made this move before - thoughts on this... or any other views appreciated. On paper (only) it looks like a huge extra cost for four more cylinders?

2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You can't look at it on a "price per cylinder" basis. That does not compute.

It's a totally different car and driving & ownership experience.

3. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My first car was an 04 Masr Coupe and then I went to an 86' 328 GTS and now a 99' 550 Maranello. Which I am planning on moving to 599 GTB in the future.

You can't compare Maserati to Ferrari. I can promise you won't regret the extra money as it is a step in the right direction.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

4. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I have a 2013 Masertati GTS as my daily driver, and I can tell you that my 07 599 is night and day compated to the maser.

If you drive the 599 for a while, hen get into the Maserati, the Maserati will seem "soft"
    and slow!!

5. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    went from 07 gransport to 09 612 couple of years ago
    as you say huge price differential but i would say well worth it even though the GS is a really nice car.

6. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 (even without the HGTE upgrade)

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Agree with the others. Italian sports cars are diminishing returns if you are going to only use objective criteria. When you introduce subjective criteria, they work and that is why so many choose them.

I think you will find many things different with the 599. Notice how fast and smoothly it revs. With the 599 make sure its pointed in a straight line before you apply all that power. I would also want Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires as part of the deal. They really help the 599 in both comfort and grip.

The 599 is a great car. Good luck with your search.

8. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Thanks for your various responses on this. I have been inspired to move beyond paper search and have arranged to test drive a car (bit newer than original car mentioned)

Any hints on approaching the test appreciated!

I will let you know the outcome.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Drive it the way you would normally drive it, and ideally on the roads you would normally drive.

A PPI is a must IMO.

10. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    #10 barbuckle, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Way to go. She looks very nice and the HGTE has very useful upgrades, especially for Scotland's twisty roads. Quite a bit of difference from a Maserati, no?

12. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    congratulations- looks mega!

13. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Congratulations- you'll have great fun!
    And perfect on Scottish roads.

Agreeing with the point above about other cars feeling soft and slow. Our family car is a Jaguar with a 4.4 supercharged V8. It's a great car but after driving the 612 a bit, I definitely notice the difference...

Enjoy!

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Wow congratulations!! That is a gorgeous car!!!

Just remember, for cornering you usually want to be in a gear higher than you'd be in a lesser motored vehicle. And when you unleash all the prancing ponies you should be pointed straight!

IMHO this car is a masterpiece.

15. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    #15 barbuckle, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Thanks for your reactions.
    This car has hardly been used (less than 6K miles - two owners but first simply sold it for premium after two months!) and as pictured has still to be serviced and valeted. I was impressed at the original condition as well as the performance!

Any thoughts on the tyre condition appreciated... clearly a telling component for these vehicles. It appears to be on original Pirellis... do you think they are good for another few thousand miles... or change for Pilot Sports as mentioned above?

Oh - and anything else to consider refreshing after 5 fairly quiet initial years?

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, you don't waste any time!

Congrats and I wish you good luck with it.

You may have a little more time on those tires, one or maybe even two more years. I would carefully inspect them for dry rot. Check especially around the bead area. But if you are going to really drive the car aggressively, you are probably best off getting new rubber.

17. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Blown away and very happy for you. Thanks for updating us. Even my girlfriend said wow.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #18 tazandjan, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    B- Those are the latest Pirellis, so as long as they are less than 6 years old (look at the dates on the tires) and still have tread, I would use them. Then replace them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, like those that came on the GTO. Use the 599/HGTE size on the front and 315/35 20 (GTO size) on the rears because there is no 305/35 20 size yet. Lots of owners using the GTO tires in the rear.

This one shows 51st week in 2007.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, no kidding. I actually liked my Granturismo Sport until the electronics started bugging me and then I started looking around and noticing other things. Performance was adequate, but owning a 612 first, it just wasn't much fun. Let down.

I was gonna say, but then you...

Congratulations! And welcome to the club! I can't wait to get my 599 back. Spring has almost sprung.

20. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Very nice.

21. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Congratulations! She looks like a beauty.

22. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    I thank you all for your generous responses.
    Now a question for you to poll opinion. I am several hundred miles away from the dealer who sold me the car. So what is the "right" thing to do:
    a) Pay someone to ship my trade-in to the dealer and the low miles 599 to me, OR
    b) Drive my Maserati Gransport to the dealer and the 599 back?
    Your thoughts appreciated... I am genuinely undecided (it is still winter!)

23. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I'm always for driving a car home. That first drive can only happen once, and stays forever in my memory for every car I've ever owned.

So I'll be the first to vote to drive it home, if the conditions are safe (free of rain/snow).

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Even newish PZEROs are dicey on cold asphalt. I normally replace tires every 4 years because old rubber will get harder as it ages and compromise the handling. You should check the treads and the dates on each tire as they can be substantially older than the car they're on.

You're also not going to be familiar with the power of your "new" V12, hence the advice from Caeruleus11 to keep the wheels straight when applying power.

Conditions are not on your side given an unfamiliar powerful car, winter, wet roads, old tires, long drive, difficult to turn around once on your way. I just checked the weather in Glasgow and personally-speaking, I would trailer the cars, keep them clean and plan a much nicer outing under better conditions. BTW, congratulations on the beautiful HGTE.

25. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If it were summer I'd definitely drive it for reasons Roupin mentioned. If it's still winter, I think Michael has the right idea.