599 GTB failed tail lights / ECU | FerrariChat

599 GTB failed tail lights / ECU

Discussion in '612/599' started by mutske, Mar 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    I own a 2009 599, the story starts with the right side tail light failing. The fault was traced to a fault in the main ECU, this was repaired but shortly after lost both real tail lights. The car has now been with the dealer for the last 6 weeks and no way further to a solution. A new ECU was installed after waiting 3 weeks for it, the lights worked but the car would not start. The new ECU was removed and sent back. I have been told that it is a software problem and only can be fixed by an engineer at the Ferrari factory. Does any one had similar issues. One question I have is ,,,How is it possible that Ferrari can't fix a software problem.

Bernard

2. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds bazaar. Can't imagine why the tail light function would need to go through the ECU?? Any dealer that can't get a tail light to work should be ashamed of themselves.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Unfortunatly electrical systems in cars are not as simple as they used to be. In some cars the signal from the light switch could pass through as many as 7 different modules before it gets to the tail light bulbs.

I fought with a BMW 7 series not too long ago for a lighting issue, after 2 days of fighting with it, I sent it off to the dealer. 1 month later I got the car back. It was a bad instrument cluster.

It is not simply checking for power and ground. In some cases the lights are pulse width modulated. which is controlled by an ECU, which talks to another ECU etc. Its obscene how cars are wired today. But I can understand it. It avoids having wiring harness a foot thick and reduced electrical load on the charging system.

Its not easy anymore at all.

4. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the reality check...I guess I'm showing my age!

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bernard, sorry to hear about your problem, and I'm for your frustration.

It is interesting to hear Howie's (I know his brother-in-law Seymour Butts) issue with his Bimmer. It is incredible how complex these modern cars have become. It has resulted in great improvements, but at the expense of simple and inexpensive remedies.

6. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Not surprising in BMWs. In the early 2000's they hired a bunch of hackers as a last ditch to find their software problems the design team couldn't figure out.
    That is NOT how any ultimate driving machine should be built - can't figure out why the public tolerates them

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It would be OK if it were just BMW's. It is not. All the cars have gone to complex integrated CAN communication for even the simplest of systems. Problems are sort of rare but can turn into a nightmare. I know of one Ferrari, very good guy working on it. After about 2 solid weeks of following direct factory instruction to remedy a problem, the factory sent 3 guys from Italy and nearly a new electrical system for the car for them to install. Warranty job but can you imagine paying for that?

When a side view mirror heater can keep a car from running we have gone in the wrong direction with technology.

8. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I have a 2013 Lincoln MKT for a daily driver. A few weeks ago the windshield washer pump quit. A few days later I started getting error messages for the blind spot system, cross traffic system, the nav system, and the heater would start running full tilt and wouldn't respond to the controls. The next day the car stranded me when it wouldn't start.

The car was at the dealer for 10 days. In that time they replaced the battery, the body control computer module, the rear sensor module, and windshield washer pump. What failure caused what they didn't tell me. At least it was all covered under warranty.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Makes you think a lot of modern cars, Ferrari included, will depreciate like a stone when the extended warranties run out. And rightfully so.

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Time for the old 'hotrodders' to shine then...........

11. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Just a update, ECU removed again and sent back to Ferrari Italy for a reprogram.
    Hope its done right this time round.
    Car now with the dealer 2 1/2 months.

12. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I had a similar problem with adding a new key to my 2007 612.

The Ferrari dealer's system refused to pair the new key to my car. After a couple of weeks of trying, they finally ended up literally borrowing a computer system of some sort from Italy that was flown in. Only then would the key sync-up with the car.

It took over a month to resolve. The dealer was as frustrated as I was.

Hope your luck changes.

13. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    yes it is very frustrating, the only positive out of this is that it saves me putting more mls on it.

14. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's a negative! 😄

15. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    just a quick update,..........the car still with the dealer and a Italian mechanic from the factory coming over on Wednesday (1st April) hope its not a Joke!!!!!!
    that means we are interring month 4!!!!!!

16. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the update. I feel your pain! I would have never thought it would be that difficult to correct the problem.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm sorry for your frustration, hopefully this fellow (or lady?) has the fix.

18. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    A great feature is the internet connectivity. Hackers demonstrated (in a closed test area) with a modern BMW how to take over the car from remote. The car was stopped to rest and the driver was locked in. Just imagine the wrong people doing things like this on a regular highway ....

19. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Update, not sure where we are at the moment, was told on Wednesday that they will replace all the ECU units at Ferraris costs. Now Friday was told a differend story.....they have removed the all ECU's and sent to the Factory. It is now easter weekend..we are now in week 14....start to loss all thrust in the Ferrari dealer, I have given them till thursday to get my car going, if not i take the car to a dealer who knows how to fix and give costumers a good service....

20. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If Ferrari can't fix it, I would find it hard to fault the dealer unless there's more to the story than we know. I can certainly understand your frustration.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bernard- I would get my ECUs back, first.

22. mutske

mutske Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Update....last weeks promised new ECU's and a factory tech fitting my new ECU's did not happen, no reason was given.. Dealer now removed all the ECU's, all sent to the factory with my keys, again promised that a Italian Technician from the factory will be fitting the overhauled ECU's this week. Lets see what the next step will be......week 15 started.
    I could make a series out of it....so long I get the car back for my iTALIAN TRIP in May, but who knows??? I don't know if any one really cares how a Ferrari dealer deliveres his costumers service. I can't see how Ferrari UK or someone in Italy can miss this hole saga...the car will be off the roads for over 3 months due to failed rear lights!!!! I don't know how this is possible???? this is my moan for today...

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #23 Rifledriver, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    I strongly suspect from previous personal experience that the dealer is as much a pawn in this as you. Once it is at this level it is really out of their hands. If communication is bad you have a gripe with the dealer, the balance of it is Ferrari's doing and they are not terribly good at resolving issues. The dealer probably has no new information but that at least should be communicated to you.

At least in the USA we have what we call "Lemon laws" and by now you could demand your money back on the car. It does give them some incentive to at least try and keep you happy.

Sorry about the car and good luck.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He's not going to get that option I am afraid.

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    And just when I am getting serious about a 599.......that little Dino in the garage is looking prettier :)

Hope your issue is resolved. This is not exactly the definition of good service........