Selling my 599 | FerrariChat

Selling my 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    amazing colour !

3. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What??? But, but , but it was your perfect car!

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Still is.

5. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    You were so enthusiastic about the car, sad to see it go. Good luck with the sale.

Going for the GTO?

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No, lost a big contract. Feel like hunkering down a bit, being responsible. She's my dream car, but it's just a car. Wife thinks I'm making a mistake selling it, but only because she thinks I'll buy another, not because she thinks I should actually keep it.

7. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hang on to it til I sell mine and we can try to strike a deal!

8. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Bob, hang in there.

9. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Amazing price too!

10. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Good luck with the sale. Would have loved to see you selling this to get into a GTO … but a man has got to do what he has to do. Respect … and I do hope things will turn around for you soon.

Cheers,

M

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Strike the deal now and make a deposit and I'll be happy to drive it until you're ready to take delivery. :)

I would have, too. The program we just bid on would have changed my stars immediately and I would have bought that GTO, but life is grand. Have all I could ever need in this world. Just instead of retiring at 50 I'm now looking at running my company God knows how long. Got another big opportunity maturing now in another Dept/Agency. But when I started chasing the one I just lost, I was 46 with kids 7 and 4, now I'm approaching 50. My outlook is changing. Only so many of these long shot, big programs a small business can sneak up on with all the ducks in a row to make a run. Damned expensive to bid as prime. Staggering amount of capital went into this one. Losing is a real shot of adrenaline.

12. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Seems like you just got her yesterday.

Sorry to see you have to sell, but I've been in that boat before.

There will be other opportunities.

Best of luck.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree with your wife-- remember what happened last time...

14. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Sorry to hear Bob. Best of luck to you.

Hoping things can change for you before it sells, and you end up keeping her.

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Sorry to hear you are selling her, but going into a defensive crouch is a normal reaction. Sure you do not want to wait 6 weeks and see if things look brighter?

17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    There is no such thing as retirement

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't know Terry. Believe it or not, things are already looking better today. not in terms of chasing another big win, but in terms of getting some people billable and starting to recover. Hey wats like that though just kinda changes your priorities. Big part of me right now would rather spend the money on extra vacations for the kids then hanging out a car shows. Don't mind me, I'm a bundle of emotions right now. Burying my grandmother at Arlington tomorrow. Under the circumstances, I think any reasonable man would say don't make any important decisions right now. Seriously though, the response I'm getting on my car is ridiculous. I'm used to putting a more typical Ferrari on the market and waiting months for a serious prospect.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Sorry about your grandmother. You were lucky to have her that long.

You 599 is a beauty and I am not surprised folks are interested. Will be hard to duplicate.

Glad things are looking up.

20. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You are certainly someone we can all model our own priorities after and aspire to always think of family first. Even in uncomfortable situations.

Hate to hear about your GMom.. I am in insurance sales and just when I get nervous the dam lets loose and some sales come through. I pick myself up, dust myself off and continue to dial and help people.

Wishing you the same renewed success so that you may keep your gal.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bob, I am shocked to see this thread about selling your 599. I am also sorry to hear about the death of your grandmother, my condolences. A bit of a tough time for you.

Well, remember, you always have us!

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm leaning on the fence if not sitting on it. The really expensive capture guy I had working the deal we lost seems to have found a gig to bill himself on. And it's a gig where we are already supposed to start placing people and he could influence that from inside. We have two others that are supposed to start soon as well on another project. We'll see. If it doesn't sell quickly, I could end up pulling it off the market.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Pull it early and then you can avoid the hassle of selling a Ferrari. More than half (except FChatters, naturally) who contact you will be flakes or worse.

24. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Take pride and joy in knowing family ALWAYS comes first Bob. These cars are wonderful and a source of great pleasure but at the end of the day, they're just cars. You're way too young to think this may be your last hurrah (or F-car). Know that the same exhilaration you experienced when you bought your current beauty will be there to experience again in the future when the time is right. And remember, ownership isn't a requirement of FChat!

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Bob,
    Condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

Everyone has said the right things.

I'll just add my 2 cents that you should wait to decide if you want to sell your car because:

1. Like you said you are under some extreme emotions right now;

2. You clearly enjoy the cars, but you have your priorities straight that family comes first.

3. You were pricing the car right so you can always sell.

4. I think it would be nearly impossible to replicate this color combination out in the market place if you decided to find the same spec again.

5. The weather is improving = improving prospects in the markets affected by weather.

I don't see the downside of waiting a few weeks to get your bearings set- unless you had a real offer that was way above the market due to your car's beautiful spec.