Considering a 612. Anyone near Louisville know where I can find one to drive? | FerrariChat

Considering a 612. Anyone near Louisville know where I can find one to drive?

Discussion in '612/599' started by KY _Soldier, Mar 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Hello all. I am a longtime car enthusiast new to the Ferrari community. Been thinking about one for a long time. In the past I've had R8s, M5s, 911s, and some other fun vehicles. I considered a 430, but I have two younger girls that I want to be able to enjoy the vehicle with, so a backseat is a must.

I'm down to some decent options - an M235i convertible (used to have a 135i vert and loved it), an M3/M4, a newer 911, or some other options. The 612 has always been a favorite of mine, and I loved the gated shifter on my R8 and thought a stick in the 612 would be awesome. I saw a TDF blue one with red interior for sale a year or so ago in CT I think. I should have grabbed it then but was in the midst of a divorce :(

Anyway, would love some input from others who have had same question - what to get for a fun car that I can put my kids in. Also, I would love to actually drive a 612 if possible before pulling the trigger on one. If anyone is near Louisville I'd gladly buy dinner in exchange for a five minute tame drive around the block in one. I drove a Maserati granturismo and wondered if this would drive the same.

Other final thought that I've seen multiple threads on is to go with an early 612 and try to find a stick or get an 08+ OTO with glass roof. Thanks in advance for the help! ....Eric

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You might want to also post this in the North Central forum.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    I'm not going to helpful with a ride, but I recently picked up a 2010 612. Best car I have ever driven. I also considered an FF as well as an Aston Marin Rapide. The FF is a fine car, and a technological step ahead, but I didn't want 4 wheel drive and my wife couldn't get down with the look. Also, hard pressed to find an FF under 200k. The aston martin is really stunning but is more of a luxury ride than a sports car. The new M3/4 is by all accounts a pretty great car, but just don't feel "special" to me. A new 911 targa would be pretty cool, but the back seats are pretty small, but you can still get a manual transmission, which is nice. As far as the year of the car, I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. I would say if you can find a MT 612 that is in good shape at a fair price you should jump on it. They are pretty rare, but will probably go up in price. You'll pay more for a OTO, but to me the price difference was worth it. You can find nice early models for around 90k, I paid about 50k more than that, but got the exact car I wanted, so to me it was worth it. Its really a great car, enjoy the search.

4. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Thanks Dave. Glad you're enjoying it. Drive it in good health! Cheers!

5. nsortor12

nsortor12 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2013
    Louisville
    I'm in the Louisville area, but unfortunately don't know of anyone around here who's got one. Hope you find one. If so, there's a great shop around who'll take care of you locally.

Right across the river in Georgetown called Forza Tuning. No affiliation, just a recommendation. :D

One more thing -- be sure to bring it to Cars and Coffee sometime!

6. Acrisis

Acrisis Rookie

Jul 28, 2014
    Seattle wa
    Full Name:
    George
    I have a 1 owner 2007 possible for sale. 11k miles all maintenance up to date. Black on black and heavily optioned.

7. Depstein15

Depstein15 Karting

Dec 8, 2013
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Donald
    Please contact me regarding the 612. Thank you. [email protected]

8. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i own a 612OTO since new and heres a brief summary of mine :

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/479759-my-612-w-s-aperta-rims-some-issues-6-years-ownership.html

to buy used, i think u have a lot of amazing options out there in this great automobile time : 991 GT3, used 458, 430s, scuds....

My 612 is a great car and i always drive the wheels off it, but recently since its almost 7 years old now, i been taking it easy, im sure i drive the 612 harder than anyone else because it is really a great handling car with enough power, but i been putting it away to save mileage and use for many reasons. One of which is i love mine and will keep it for a very long time due to the huge depreciation since i bought new.

Also u will never be relaxed enough to take it as ur daily or put kids in the back, i only have people in the back maybe 5 times in the past 6 years, and all on short stances.
    i also at the same time have a 10 year old 430 with 15k miles and a scud with less than that, these have mechanical wear issues one needs to address too, so i really dont suggest buying used fcars if u gonna drive them daily.
    Of course u can, which i do sometimes, but u pay the price for that.

but a new 991 gt3 on the other hand, u can put pillows in the back for the kids and its the best car out there for the price today!! =)

i also have a fantastic MC-Stradale which i love and thats more daily able than a 612, plus it handles better in the twisties. but thats another story.

9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I have 3 kids and I drive the 612 every Friday with them and additional hours on the weekends as the situation permits. The only rule is no eating...and only water is allowed.

Otherwise, I would have bought a 599.

So, my opinion is that the back seats are to be used otherwise get something else !!!