Aperta, GTO, F1, and Manual Value Perspective | FerrariChat

Aperta, GTO, F1, and Manual Value Perspective

Discussion in '612/599' started by Zarathustra, Mar 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Many of you seem to not appreciate the perspective of the manual 599 auction. There are questions of: how can a 599 manual be worth more than a CGT or GTO or my house or whatever? Well, obviously these bidders don't have your value system. Some of them probably dislike Porsche, some may not want a boy-racer GTO, some (like me) may be old-school, manual vintage guys that think the 599 is the best looking, post-Enzo V12 so far.

I looked at this black manual when it was for sale around 2008 at Tonkin. I didn't buy it because I dislike black on black (sorry MARMIST) and I wanted a blue, gray, or burgundy manual. So I bought a Daytona instead, which was about the same price back then.

Moreover, look at the big perspective; this auction result is not "absurd" or "silly money" compared to the multi-million-dollar Ferraris. I would call myself "absurd" if I bought a NEW Ferrari, given it will loose half it's value to depreciation in a few years. But I can appreciate some people don't care about that.
    A Million-dollar Aperta is worth 2 GTOs or a half-dozen 599F1s? It's a matter of taste. Personally, I dislike open top cars and Apertas are not worth a million to me, but they are perfect for someone else. Above all, I admire the rarity of the Aperta and manual 599.

So I encourage auction spectators to watch with amusement, but please respect the personal joy of the winning bidder.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with your perspective. Like you, I love the 599 and passed on a stick too because I drove one and as much a I love driving stick shift, this is a car I would put a lot of miles on and I didn't think the stick really worked well in the car.

I say congratulations to the buyer.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry, but it's just dumb. You could have Ferrari convert any black/black 599 to a manual for a fraction of the price. All the parts exist and are available, as the car is only a few years out of production.

The car really is of no significance whatsoever.

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

What was the hammer price?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    $620K before buyer's/seller's whatever. $682K with buyer's/seller's whatever.

6. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    the buyer has no money problems at all, that's for sure, but why didnt he convert an F1 ? That's the question.

Might this be a manouver from the high spheres to make prices go up ?

7. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    Interesting to me that no one has yet mentioned the Aperta which auctioned at $1.05 MM/$1.155 MM all-in at Gooding at Amelia. A striking car in a special light blue, nice beige/sabia interior, but rather extreme for my taste. That price, taken together with the 599 manual price may signal another move up for the rarer F cars, or may signal the top of the market. Both were significantly outside the market (although given the low number of Aperta, cannot say I know whether that market was....).

8. burmang

burmang Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Gaurav Burman
    Gentlemen please remember that there was more than one bidder, I would not have the arrogance to call some extremely successful people insane, or whatever is being said....

I say congratulations to the winning bidder, enjoy in good health.

I have a feeling the price paid will seem inexpensive in a few years.

9. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I encourage you to follow through on your brilliance.

10. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
  11. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    It was just a matter of time. Every time I drop the hammer in my GTO I feel like I'm Michael Schumacher in an F1 car. She rewards me the more I push her. How can you put a price tag on that feeling ?

12. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
  13. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The UK is an interesting market. Many RHD cars get exported to Far East RHD markets leaving a shortage. Currently LHD 599 GTOs are trading around original list for RHD. Until this post there were no RHD 599 GTOs for sale in UK. Supply and demand. I personally think the price is ludicrous, but then I have a RHD 599 GTO in UK so this is interesting. The manual 599 sold at Amelia shows what is possible - assuming that sale was all legit. Bottom line is that 599 cars in today's world is a very limited amount. Look what's happens to F40 prices and there are over 1,340 of them.

14. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    #14 Camlet1, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    I'm in the UK and have a 599 GTO RHD from new (and zero intention of selling it).

The price of the example quoted is hilariously inflated and once it hit the pistonheads forum the price dropped almost immediately, then went POA. Trust me I'd be mighty pleased if my GTO is now worth 900K GBP. But it's hugely unlikely. I've just added an F50 to the stable and the dealer I bought the 50 from told me a RHD 599 GTO in the UK is now around 480K GBP to buy (maybe 500K GBP at a push). LHD examples can be had here for 370K GBP.

That's not to say the 599 GTO has maxed out.

15. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    Congratulations on the F50. Your comments on GTO values sound about right. No doubt the owner of the RHD GTO advertised was thinking about the black manual 599, and dreaming that anything is possible. No equivalent cars publicly offered on the market for a while, so perhaps they thought they might get lucky :~)

16. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Camlet1,

Congrats on the F50. Love to see some pics. The F50 is a truly spectacular and amazing beast. Also love to hear reviews on F50 vs. your 599GTO. Winding my GTO out today ... geez just nothing like it thats street legal. F50 is more my cup of tea (vs. F40 or 288GTO) as its a "pure" NA V12. Still the sound of the GTO is just unparalleled IMHO. Regardless of value I just simply LOVE my GTO.

18. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    Ding Ding!

My point of view is if they made 130 or whatever Apertas and they're 1M, the 20-30 factory original manuals should worth the same if not more. You can still buy 2 new model convertible F cars with open roof. But you can't buy any F car stick. EVER AGAIN!

I just drove my 6spd cars today. What a rush. Jalopnik is doing a story on my 599 and 612 manuals with videos.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are way more than 20-30 three pedal 599s. Probably an order of magnitude more.

20. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Cheers. The F50 is being prepared - you know what it's like with a "new" purchased classic, a list of silly items 99% of normal people wouldn't notice or couldn't care about but I want her mint when she arrives - so while itching like crazy to get hold of her, I have to be patient.

Regarding a comparison, I'm lucky to have some other F cars too. And what I've learned over the years is Ferrari is magical, they are magicians. Because comparisons are very difficult yet each model has something about it which makes it uniquely a Ferrari. That's what's amazing to me about Ferrari. The sums of its parts is the whole.

The 550 Maranello, F40, 599 GTO, 458 Speciale and F50 for example are all very different machines.

Some have Grand Tetons sized torque (yay managed to the Tetons in lol - did a roadtrip in Wyoming, Utah and Arizona which for a Brit coming from a lovely tiny island by comparison was shell-shockingly awesome - you guys are very lucky to have such magnificent country) like the beautifully handling and wonderfully elegant 550 Maranello and the utter hooligan hilarity of the F40.

Some the razor sharp delicacy and remarkable alacrity of the 458 Speciale. Some the sheer epic sound and scale of the brilliant 599 GTO (F1!) and the purity of the F50 driver experience with its thunderous high reving tub bolted-on V12, sublime handling and superb stick shift (from what I've read and watched).

Ferrari are magicians because while their cars (mixing old and new) are very different each one could only ever be a Ferrari. And while comparisons make for endless forum fun debating, the fact is they are all very special yet all very Ferrari. And if it's more than a little obvious I adore Ferrari (its history, its creativity, its contribution to happiness, the way a 3 year old who can't possibly know brands or the illusion of money immediately point to a Ferrari, and that I was misty eyed at the sincere joy of Vettel, his team and all at Ferrari that they were back last week to winning ways!!! ) you'd be absolutely right lol!

Glad you enjoy your brilliant 599 GTO to the full: us owners sometimes forget - whatever the model, age or even the irritations of Ferrari ownership - we are very blessed. Damn the coffee was strong :D

Happy Easter.

21. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Well said Camlet1. We should never forget how fortunate we are to be driving our steeds. Happy holidays and cheers !

22. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    The number of "thirty-something" 599 manuals are for USA cars only.
    For Americans, this is all we have access to until a Euro manual is 25 years old.
    The only total world production number of 599 manuals I've heard of, from a Ferrari dealer, is 57.
    Euro market 599 manuals seem to show up even less than in the US market.
    Here's a recent one:

Ferrari 599 GTB MANUEL GEARBOX, handgeschakeld, Schaltgetriebe
    Final price: € 295,000.- indicate VAT
    Body: Coupe (2 Seats)
    Mileage: 61,234 km
    First registration: 07/2007
    Body colour: Blue metallic
    Interior fittings: Full leather Brown
    Vehicle description by the seller
    Aangeboden, handgeschakelde 599 GTB, EU auto met historie. Kras en schade vrij. Bellen, niet mailen.
    Manual 599 GTB, NO F1 gearbox. EU car, Maintenance History available. Scratch and damage free. Please call, no e-mails.
    Handschalter 599 GTB, EU fahrzeug, scheckheft gepflegt, unfall frei. Bitte anrufen, keine e-mails.
    Private seller
    NL 6226wx maastricht

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gary- I do not believe either of those numbers or any numbers not out of Maranello. My estimate is 200-300 3 pedal 599s.

24. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    How many do you think are in the USA?

25. KostMez

KostMez Rookie

Sep 22, 2006
    Athens, Greece
    #25 KostMez, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Agreed with Zarathustra. The key word was mentioned in the first post; rarity. Rarity and perceived uniqueness as one of the last Ferrari models to roll out of the factory with a manual gearbox. However, I would like to add another factor in the equation: financial markets. The S&P 500, Treasuries and other widely held financial instruments have been appreciating the last 3 or 4 consecutive years. This has led into an increase of disposable funds and appetite regarding purchases of this nature. The demand curve has shifted to the right. It's difficult to find manual 599s and owners of these cars are well aware.

In investment banking lingo; it's a seller's market.