2010 599 GTB rear-end "waggle" + some high mileage & CCM commentary | FerrariChat

2010 599 GTB rear-end "waggle" + some high mileage & CCM commentary

Discussion in '612/599' started by jus, Mar 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    #1 jus, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everyone,

Coming out of a 430 Spider and other exotica I had for some years, for the last year I've been the owner of an interesting 599, which I've really been enjoying. It's all black inside and out, looking like a "batcar", and it is a 2010 model with unusually high miles (now over 60k kilometres, or nearly 40k miles). I use my cars you could say, although in this instance I am not the first owner. The benefits of high mileage are guilt-free regular use, especially on long drives!

Luckily being a younger model year I have had the benefit of Power Cube warranty, and now Power Normal and the possibility to keep renewing for many more years. As a result I have gotten to see a lot of the issues that do appear, not at my cost, which prospective buyers may find interesting.

So for your interest, the more expensive items included replacing all of the magnetic shocks, and in the case of the rears more than once (these seem a bit fragile / prone to random failure?), all of the control-arms/ball joints, the radiator (small leak), the red painted cam covers and intake plenum covers which the paint corroded off from coastal living, all of the lambdas front and rear, and of course it's had a clutch (at 41,000km). There's been many other littler things along the way too.

Another surprising thing which has come up recently is I've been told the CCM discs are finished (even though still on original set of pads according to dealer service history). This seems like a low mileage for this to happen at for ceramics, and they are hideously expensive to replace. Apparently this car supposedly hasn't had any track time, so it's very mysterious. Factory had the dealer weigh and measure them and the result was:

Minimum: Front – 6.000Kg and 35.5mm
    Minimum: Rear – 31.5mm

Recorded measurements:
    Front Right – 5.940kg and 35.5mm
    Front Left – 5.980kg and 35.5mm
    Rear Right – 6.610kg and 31.9mm
    Rear Left – 6.600kg and 31.8mm

Odd?

Also, I'm not really that happy with the OEM tyres. I'm sure there are better options out there today? They seem to have a very snappy and intimidating break-away and a "hard" character.

Finally -- thoroughly enjoying the car, but have noticed it has a strange rear-end "waggle" on the squat during turn-in or hard acceleration sometimes. Can catch you by surprise at first until you learn to anticipate it. Has there been any discussion about this little quirk? The local dealer CEO commented that "they fixed that with the HGTE" package. I'm not sure I like the idea of HGTE as I like the ride as it is, it already hops and skips a bit on undulations and I wouldn't want it any harsher. The car is reasonably comfortable for long drives while still performing well on the twisties.

One upgrade I have done which I highly recommend BTW is to get the HGTE F1 gearbox software installed. Much better! Should be standard retrofit to all 599s.

Some pics attached.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Great write up Jus

I am also keen on changing the tyres from Pirelli standard to something a little softer.
    Would be keen to get there recommendation - but I don't want a wider tyre to compensate getting Michelin PSS

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    HGTE suspension mod will help that wiggle, its especially prevalent on one particular piece of uphill road I suspect you may drive on a daily basis.

I speak under correction but the HGTE pack has a stiffer rear roll bar which helps cure that wiggle. The ride itself is not substantially harder with the HGTE. The rear anti roll bar may a good improvement to make.

Rule of thumb with the HGTE suspension ECU mod is that it cant be applied to earlier 599's but I doubt that would he an issue in your particular case.

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    wow, all 4 shocks...how much did that cost?

5. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Warranty covered it, I have done some brief digging and found the below so far. To convert the amounts shown at the end of each line which are in South African Rands to USD you can crudely approximate by dividing by 10.

It has in fact so far been 6 shocks, the rears have been done twice, due to eventual total failure of the replacement left-rear shock (began with a clonking sound over bumps), and they come in a pair.

WAR 17/03/14 52629 30/W1705- LOWER CONTROL ARMS R 51565.74
    WAR 17/03/14 52629 30/W1702- REAR SHOCKS R 16173.92
    WAR 08/11/13 50513 31/CONTROL ARMS R 30268.62

6. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Yes, I think it's cars built around '08 onwards that have compatible hardware...

7. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    While you may not wish to go wider in the rear, the difference in ride and handling with Michelin Supersports is night and day better. Just did the swap on my car and I am
    throughly pleased. Going to 315 vs 305 is a very minimal change in total tire diameter. As an extra bonus, the Michelins are less costly and should be better wearing.

8. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    I suspected this would be the case with a tyre change (big improvement). It was the same with the Carrera GT. So the Michelin Super Sports are the recommend upgrade?

9. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009

So 1600USD for the pair of rear shocks?

10. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There have been many FChat threads and tons of information on this subject recently. Bottom line, EVERYBODY who has moved to the Michelin SS loves them. They're going to be my next set.

11. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Yep!

12. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    That isn't bad at all! Strange, I thought they cost much much more!!

13. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I just checked with Ricambi:

Front shock @ $3255.84 each and the rear shocks @ $3255.87 each

14. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Wonder if the dealer gets a better price for warranty claims? I'm not sure... this was also a little while ago, and the R/$ exchange rate has moved since then too... it does sound too cheap to be true!

What's pretty intense is the cost of the control arms!

15. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    "One upgrade I have done which I highly recommend BTW is to get the HGTE F1 gearbox software installed. Much better! Should be standard retrofit to all 599s."

I didn't realize this software upgrade was available separately as it is part of the HGTE Performance Upgrade that includes the exhaust. I had inquired numerous places in the US and was unable to find a dealer that would just sell and install the software.

16. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Please buy and send me a pair of shocks for USD 1600.--, please!

This is serious, just to have as spares ...

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I really doubt they cost that much now. Ricambi has good prices, would surprise me the dealer's are lower.

18. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Delta-Vee is offering a "plug and play" solution.

19. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    From Delta-Vee...if we can put 10 people together.

"We don't offer service for this application at this time. We're actually looking for donations for forensic engineering so we can evaluate offering this service in the future if its cost effective. We'll have significant time and tooling costs and at this time we only receive a few inquiries a year for this application.

Have you shopped for new shocks? We had this discussion on Ferrarichat a month or so ago, we had an initiative to offer a brand new plug and play active damping system that's servicable, but we need ten owners/ businesses to move this forward.

Best,
    Rob
    --
    Rob Schermerhorn

20. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Far more shocking to me has been the price of the brakes... the dealer quote here was the equivalent of $35k! Still not quite sure what to do about this. Not covered by the warranty obviously, unlike the shocks which cost me nothing.

21. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The second page of this thread isn't loading so I can't see the comments there.

I agree with you the brakes seem like a weird one. Ferrari usually recommends replacing the discs with the third set of pads. You are still on your first set and it doesn't seem to me there was anything done to wear the rotors down. Unless that was misrepresented. How are the pads in terms of wear. I'd want to know if the wear is in line with a street driven 599 for all those miles.

I have 20k miles on my 599 and its on its second set of pads and it has been to the track several times. The 599 brakes are excellent for the street but out of the box they are not quite excellent for really prolonged hard track driving. Fortunately I would just do a few laps and come in so I never really cooked them too badly.

As to options- I suppose you could buy the factory rotors or look elsewhere. I think there are some aftermarket options to consider. When considering the price, also consider that you will likely sell your car for a few dollars less if you have non standard brakes on it.

I'd ask the dealer if there might be some kind of goodwill on the part of the dealer and or Ferrari that might make the cost a little more reasonable.

For the waggle, I think the HGTE suspension will solve it for turn in. However, it won't solve it for hard acceleration. Thats simply the car slightly overwhelming the available grip on the tire that is doing most of the gripping. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports solve that.

The car will sit a little lower on the HGTE and my dealer set it to "European" suspension height- its still got good clearance but the car is definitely a little lower than what I observe stock HGTE cars are. I like it. But this highlighted the slightly inboard stance of the stock suspension. As my track days are behind me, I fitted 20mm Novitec spacers to the car and the look is terrific. An added benefit that I did not anticipate is the car feels more stable and even more solid. I can't explain it but thats my experience. Maybe by widening the track and and increasing stability, it also increases the sense of solidity in the vehicle. I expected the car to have a noticeable drop off in turn in crispness but not really. I had the car realigned and I am very happy with the resulting dynamics. Final piece of the puzzle for me was to fit the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes. The car sounds amazing and it makes a bit more power. Of note the car seems to be a little more free revving and shifts seem smoother too. Again, could be all imagined benefits but its how it comes across to me.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mov'It makes CER replacement rotors and pads for the 599 that are much tougher than the original CCM rotors. Solid CSC instead of a thin layer of braking medium. Believe Racing Brake does, too. Would never need to be replaced except pads.

Have 396 mm Mov'It CERs on my 575M. No squeal, no dust, rotors never wear out. About the same price as the CCMs.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks Terry. These are great recommendations.

25. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Thanks for all the useful feedback guys. The dealer has come back with a goodwill deal and reduced the brakes to the still-expensive price of around $26k. I'm going to have to go with the OEM option as I want to keep renewing my warranty (another $6k odd) and the car has to pass the 190 point check to do so as I understand it. And of course, preserving long-term value and originality is also a consideration.

According to many commenters HGTE seems to "solve" the squat waggle (is it actually a problem though? I'm trying to decide...), but I am concerned about the compromises in terms of on the road ride refinement and comfort... any comments here from those who've tried both? I have found "sport pack" suspension or "HGTE" type option packs to be a bad bet for street driving on other cars in the past when it comes to comfort, and softer more compliant rides usually actually equal better performance and traction on the street too, unlike the manufacturers would have you believe.

Obviously I'm sure HGTE suspension is also hideously expensive too.