SA Aperta numbered plaque | FerrariChat

SA Aperta numbered plaque

Discussion in '612/599' started by YellowF50, Mar 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    I'm sure I have seen this topic somewhere but too many to go through to find info.

Does anybody know if the plaque which would be 80 in this case, is numbered in the Aperta just I thought it would be 1 of ....... 80 or 499 etc.

As I have seen a picture of one which is the actual number in the series out of 80. So surely that would make it easier to put an actual number on this model, or does it get so far into the run of numbers and then revert to 1 of..........

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #2 Caeruleus11, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    As far as I know the last model that was a truly numbered Ferrari was the 550 Barchetta Pininfarina. (i.e. you might own #200/448).

Every car after that gets a plaque that states "1 of XX".

However, some asked for a custom plaque that would state a number like perhaps "80 of 80" but as I understand it, these are printed to client request and not actually referencing the production......

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    KB- All 125 or so SA Apertas say 1 of 80.

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahahahah this sums up everything perfectly.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The Aperta wasn't available with individually-numbered plaques a la the F50, 550 Barchetta, etc. However, Aperta owners had the option of paying $1,000 for a plaque that would individually number their car. There are two known Apertas with plaques that say that car is #80 of 80 (182867 and 186277). Since there are already 120 Apertas in my dataase, and I'm certain to be missing at least 40 more, the money wasted on 80/80 plaques is just that - money wasted. All of the other Apertas simply have plaques that say that the Aperta is a limited edition, one of 80, but no other number signifying their place in the model run.

6. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Carbon.. Good to see You back... Are neither of the "80/80" Apertas actually the Last car produced? seems quite possible... regards Parker

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Chronologically speaking, 182867 is 89/120+ (please note my emphasis on chronologically; and 186277 is the penultimate Aperta in my incomplete list of 120. Please note that while I only have 120 Apertas in my list, I have it through solid authority that at least 150-160 were produced.

8. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    Wow news to me. I thought 80 was always the number. Carbon doing work! :)

9. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    I smell a large sum compensation for aperta owners that were lead to believe their cars were one of only 80. Which dealers and Ferrari were pushing so publicly.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I've yet to see or learn of anyone winning a lawsuit against Ferrari. Some people have even tried to discouraging me from writing a book.

11. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    The Apertas have probably had the highest jump (in a short few years) up from MSRP than any non supercar Ferrari in awhile..... Carbon... tried to discourage me from writing a book ? soo?

12. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Really?!!? That's surprising, I would like to bring this issue to light just to shut a obnoxious aperta owner up, who's always bragging that his is one of 80. I love to see his face when I show him ur facts that's one of 160 or something. But I'm a nice guy, so.... :)
    Like warren Buffett taught us, if ur a rich x-hole, ur still an x@@hole.
    Actually I been wanting to get an aperta so I can tell other owners that it isn't one of 80 as u mentioned long ago.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carbon- Brings up another question. We have been using 3025 as the number of 612s because of the 3025 of 3025 plaque on the "last" 612. Wonder if there could be more than one of those plaques, too?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    #14 YellowF50, Mar 30, 2015
  15. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Thanks for clearing things up anyway.

16. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Carbon,

I do not doubt the authenticity of your statement that there were 160 Apertas made, but would love to see the actual VIN's, at a bare minimum, of the 120+ VIN's you have in your database. I think its a lot to ask, but I think your claim requires a factual foundation which I have no doubt you can provide. Not looking to start any kind of s...storm, but Ferrari saying they made 80 Apertas produced and that being false information is obviously a HUGE issue on multiple levels. We all talk about the reality/claim/charge that Ferrari manufactures many more of their limited production cars than they purportedly claim in their literature. Since the 599SA is the most limited production Ferrari since the 60's (even more limited allegedly than the Daytona Spyder) I think its a perfect model to discuss. I also think this thread is the perfect place to delineate all of the 120+ VIN's. Looking forward to seeing the VIN's.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wonder if that plaque of 04 of 80 is the optional silver plaque that you can have engraved with anything you want? Do all of them have the same signature below?

18. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    100% agreed. If Ferrari is advertising a limited production of 80 samples, and the produced twice as much, it can be called a Fraud.

19. ZFFDT57

ZFFDT57 Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    I've got one
  20. ZFFDT57

ZFFDT57 Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    I've got one
    And why should he do so? Knowing the people who provide such v.i.n.'s myself as well as other sources where you can get them, I don't think you'll find such information in the public domain just like that - mainly out of respect for their years of work or the partly delicate sources.

Though, if you sign up with f-register - which might not be up to date - you'll have access to at least 110+ confirmed SA Aperta serial numbers!
    Home | F-Register

One can btw. raise the number easily to 130+ confirmed cars, as there are pictures of at least 10 Apertas floating around the net, which are definitely no match for any of the indentified cars...

21. ZFFDT57

ZFFDT57 Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    I've got one
    Well John, you are always welcome helping to bring a bit more light into the definite number of Apertas, by trying to indentify "3635 J8" and "8021 J3" from your country... :D

22. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Will take pics when I see them.
    I been wanting the electric blue aperta for a month now, I think sooner or later I gots to have it.
    The aperta feels more raw than my gto, and with bigger wheels and some XX accents I think it's one sexy beast.
    I can only imagine how the f60 America drives like.

23. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    My 599 GTO VIN has been made public. I see no issue with respect to delicacy or privacy. Rather, I see a desire to make a wild claim and then not support same with evidentiary proof. We are all big boys here. You can punt on the issue employing a smokescreen of delicacy or privacy but I say BS. If there are 30+ 250 GTO owners 100% of their VIN's are known (and the owners as well). Are you saying that the Aperta owners should be more protected than 250 GTO's owners ? Respectfully, the buck has to stop somewhere. If you have 120+ Aperta VIN's and they are ALL legitimate VIN's then there has been a massive fraud perpetrated on original owners. Anyway, this is easily resolved by just coming up with the VIN's. I really don't care about whom owns the cars and neither should anybody else for purposes of proving that more than 80 Apertas were manufactured from the factory.

24. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I guess I'm naive but if true, I'm shocked at Ferrari's lack of integrity. Am I the only one for whom this was a revelation? Further confessing my ignorance, I never understood why it is so hard to know the production numbers of any modern Ferrari. Why the secret? Are serial numbers non sequential?

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #25 tazandjan, Mar 31, 2015
    There are detail differences in the plaques, but it kind of looks like you could get what you wanted on the plaque. Note one has a signature and the other does not, but the Ferrari and number script looks the same. The one with the signature moved the 004/080 closer to the Ferrari script.