599 Aperta / Structural Differences with 599GTB - Aperta Conversion. | FerrariChat

599 Aperta / Structural Differences with 599GTB - Aperta Conversion.

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360modena2003, Apr 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    #1 360modena2003, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,

I am looking at a crash damaged 599 and toying with the idea of buying it and making a "Aperta Conversion".

Does anyone happen to know what was done to the Aperta to compensate for the lacking roof section - or is the chassis strong enough to keep the same rigidity?

Thank you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Now that's an interesting project ! I hope you will make it happen.

It will take a lot courage, time and probably money but the result will be astonishing.

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

+1

4. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Not sure of the chassis strength etc, but I am almost certain I read that the windscreen rake was lowered on the aperta compared to a standard 599 not sure if that had something to do with the strengthening of the chassis or if it was on the aerodynamics side of things. Maybe somebody else can offer more.

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    @dcmetro: Yes, but since I am buy a car that is already damaged, the risk is smaller.

Apertas are extremely limited in number, only 80, but GTB are over 4000, so I can imagine that someone will eventually do the same.

Their roof system is quite simple, I am sure with some time and patience one can reproduce something similar.

@YellowF50: The rake is even lower on the Aperta? The GTB already has an extremely low rake -

I doubt rake and chassis rigidity are related.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I just tried to see if the part number for a GTB windscreen was the same as the Aperta but was unable to find a listing for the Aperta. Part number for GTB is 68269300

7. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Why recreate the wheel ? You need a Straman type facility (ie. remember the TR convertibles they did from the 80's). While I can NOT vouch for them .... these guys have done what you seek and may be able to give you the bottom line info. you require before embarking on this project - Newport Convertible Engineering. Personally, I'd speak to someone who has done this before and get a recommendation/referral before giving them any $$$. I'm sure there are other facilities besides Newport that has done a 599 conversion so I'd do an international search (I do not know where you are located). Good luck and lets us know how it turns out.

8. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    IMO there are no 599 convertible conversion that have been done yet in the world.

I started dreaming of a 599 convertible at the moment I saw the press release back in 2006.

I check the internet daily about anything related to front engined V12 ferraris and other cars.

If such a thing exists, at least one picture would exist on the net.

There a so many website and car spotters.

But who knows... Maybe Kim Jong Un enjoys a secret 599 convertible with a california folding top (My absolute dream car)

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Straman has been out of business for decades.

10. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Yes, no one has done it till date. But given the huge premium that Apertas command and the give away prices of the GTB, I believe it is just a matter of time.

11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Sounds like a great idea if you can achieve it technically.

Don't know for sure but in general, when a roof is cut off, the car loses a ton of rigidity. There's a lot less structure keeping it from twisting under lateral load. So adding a cross member and framing behind the seats along with some other framing along the sides will be required.

Probably won't be cheap. :)

-F

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    EDO competetion can do it.

They've chopped the roof of a 575 too. I'm sure if you do an Aperta type construction an elegant roof solution can be found where it's just 2 or 3 panels (carbon?) that you can put on again easily and store on the boot.

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I saw a picture of a red 599 convertible on leftlanenews.com. I e-mailed for more info but received no reply. The car may not be real.

14. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I suggest checking out the Newport Convertible Engineering Ferrari 599 (website). Maybe they are the first ones to try this (at least in the US). Possibly the new Straman ? Again, I am not vouching for them, but maybe they can provide the OP with actual information on what is required with respect to frame modifications (if any) when converting a GTB to a convertible.

15. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I was aware of the project. I wanted to say a fully finished car

16. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Well, there you go. It looks like these guys have done it and are going to show their work at Pebble Beach this year. Might be worth going out to CA in August to check out the product and discuss what it would take to get it done.

The 599 sure does look great topless. :)

-F

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I have no idea what they have actually done but they seem to be "boldly" claiming a finished product to be shown at one of the majors later this year. With prices on GTB's at all time lows if they can demonstrate that they have the goods they will be inundated with prospective converters. IMHO it will be a major coup if they can pull off doing a super high end job.

18. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely...

19. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Agreed - I don't see it to be so difficult, the way the car is design lends itself to making it a convertible.

20. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Yes, the question is how much do you add and where?

I would also imagine this has to be done prior to remove the roof.

21. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yes, that is the question. In the past car companies would engineering it on paper by calculating the load applied, review the stresses and stains, taking into account the cross section of the structure and all that. Math.

These days car companies would run the modified structure in a CAD analysis and see what the stresses and stains are under load and beef up the structure as needed. Math using a computer.

How chop shops do it, I have no idea.

I would imagine the adding of structure is done after the roof is removed but I really don't know for sure.

I would contact that company and see what they have to say.

-F